Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Tiptronic in a 930 (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/510579-tiptronic-930-a.html)

mark houghton 11-12-2009 07:15 PM

Tiptronic in a 930
 
OK, I'm pissed off :mad:after a followup doctor visit today to check on my mangled left ankle. To make matters worse, I'm scheduled tomorrow for a sonogram to make sure the pain in my leg isn't the result of a blood clot....can you say pulmonary embolism and see ya later?

So, automatic transmissions come to mind since clutching is out of the question (though I have mastered right foot clutching in combination with dry shifting in my daily driver truck). I do not own an automatic and have to somehow get to work to justify the salary I'm paid and to secure the money I need to feed the 930.

Tiptronic 930...anybody ever done it?

cl8ton 11-12-2009 08:48 PM

Sorry to hear Mark! Hope all goes well!

Tiptronics are made from hardened peanut butter, they go down faster
than a prom dress (Iíve owned one before in a previous car $$$)

I would think a 930 engine is too abrupt and brutal for this type of tranny?

mooney265 11-12-2009 08:55 PM

Mark,

You'll be speed shifting again b-4-u-no-it!! - - Like our cars, we all need a more attention as we age "together!!" Now, seriously, if we all put as much time in maintaining our minds/bodies as we do our 930's we'd be "skydiving" on our 100th B-day!!

I'm headed to the chiropractor at 8AM...

:)

911st 11-12-2009 09:06 PM

In 1992 the RUF BTR became available with the Electronic Clutch System, or EKS, which was developed in partnership with Fichtel and Sachs. You might check with RUF and see if they can come up with something. They have a dealer in Texas now that might be able to help.

One came up used on Ebay some months back second hand and I think someone on Pelican asked about it. You might be able to back into running it down by doing a search here. Who knows, maybe it is still for sale and can be fitted along but you will probably need to convert your clutch to be hydraulically actuated.

Mark, I wish you the best.

911st 11-12-2009 09:08 PM

ps, prices on 996TT's are close to $40k at times if that is somthing you might look at.

cole930 11-12-2009 09:33 PM

What is this negative s---. Blood clots are a piece of cake. Get your butt
in there tomorrow and kick it's a-- ,your like me, God doesn't want ya and the
devil can't handle the competition. If your nice they may give you some of those
cute long white elastic socks. I want pictures !!!!

Cole

krasuskyp 11-13-2009 05:51 AM

Mark-

Nothing transmission related to add but compelled to wish you the best in sorting thru it all. The camaraderie / support here is terrific.

I'm with mooney - spend fractions of the effort involved in the the conversion and put it into rehab'n the ankle... onward/upward 8-).

Kidding aside of course. Doesn't sound pretty tho - what happened if you'll offer?

Anyway- again - that's a bummer to hear, be well and it'll sort itself out. No matter which way it goes, you'll work the best of it.



ps. Cole your quote *slayed* me about god/devil - bwha!

pps. I go in to fix lumbar herniation 12/1 (home fer the holidaze woot) - my rehab *will* be declutching assorted pedals and bracing mesself into various Recaro bolsters whilst opposite lock - nearin quattro rooster season har...

mark houghton 11-13-2009 06:14 AM

Hey all, thanks for the encouragement! I don't want a peanut butter transmission, would rather put $40K into my personal care vs. a 996 or an EKS tranny, and am having a embarassingly hard time picturing myself wearing those cute lycro white socks. Jesus Cole, I needed that laugh! The new mantra...."no more wheel stands"! Old farts need to stop acting like young dudes on meth while riding MX dirt bikes.

As far as transmissions go, it sounds like the only real alternatives are gear ratio/differential changes, or a G50. But wouldn't electronic paddle shifters on the steering wheel be cool?

RarlyL8 11-13-2009 06:18 AM

If this must be a reality then the least expensive and least hassle install would be the 925 sporto tranny from the pre-79 911. I have no idea how strong/weak they are but I did have one once and the application would be complementary to turbo power as you drop out of boost momentarily when shifting.
If you decide to do this I have the shifter parts that I would give you. Sold the tranny years ago ...

sprbxr 11-13-2009 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark houghton (Post 5008418)
Old farts need to stop acting like young dudes on meth while riding MX dirt bikes.

As far as transmissions go, it sounds like the only real alternatives are gear ratio/differential changes, or a G50. But wouldn't electronic paddle shifters on the steering wheel be cool?

You didn't crash on your dirt bike? I sold mine recently when my 42yr old body couldn't keep up with my 17yr old brain.

You could jump ship and get an M3 w/SMG. The one I had was a blast. Great on the track too.

wjfk32 11-13-2009 06:38 AM

GET WELL SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

996TT-Tip-Sounds like the easiest way.......but I always do it the hard way also.....

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Walt.

full quack 11-13-2009 07:43 AM

Hey there Mark,
Ha never say die! A hydraulic clutch throw out conversion simply can not be that difficult or too expensive. The pedal effort is way less, and can be fine tuned via slave cylinder diameter.

Then just live on large doses of Ibuprofin, works wonders for my mangled body. Hell, all my titanium screws & plates don't even set off the detector at the airports!

Stick to street bikes, those dirt bikes will really show your age.

Mark

911st 11-13-2009 08:08 AM

Plus one could tee in an electronic solinoid that would disengage the clutch with the push of a button with shifts. Probly would not help off the line unless one could build in a progressive function to it.

I belive Audi put a button on its shifters with its rally cars years ago.

cole930 11-13-2009 10:19 AM

Mark,

1:30 PM Indiana time and I was thinking about ya. Hope all goes well.
Sonogram ? Are you pregnant, probably a 500 Kawasaki dirt bike. You need to
let us know the prognosis because if your going to croak you may have some
parts I could use. The first time they told me my Cancer was terminal my three
sons in law were drawing straws to see who got to buy the "Old Sled". We
love ya, ya bum, keep us posted.

Cole

gumba 11-13-2009 10:53 AM

I had to wear those cute lycro socks after my disk surgery. It's not so bad. Just avoid looking in a full length mirror to see how stupid you look.
You might talk to Hayden at Wevo, he's come out with a new clutch package, "930 short superlite". I drove his '72 with the new clutch package and couldn't believe how little effort it took. http://www.wevo.com/Products/ClutchProducts/WevoClutchProducts.htm

Also, get a second opinion before you do anything drastic. Best of luck.

mark houghton 11-13-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cole930 (Post 5008913)
Mark,

1:30 PM Indiana time and I was thinking about ya. Hope all goes well.
Sonogram ? Are you pregnant, probably a 500 Kawasaki dirt bike. You need to
let us know the prognosis because if your going to croak you may have some
parts I could use. The first time they told me my Cancer was terminal my three
sons in law were drawing straws to see who got to buy the "Old Sled". We
love ya, ya bum, keep us posted.

Cole

All right, I don't need no stinkin' vultures waiting to pick the spoils remaining. The sonogram didn't detect any fetuses in my leg, nor any blockages so I'm good to go!

The best part of the procedure this morning was the absolute knock-out fox babe that did the procedure. She said "I'll start in your groin area....", and at once I experienced excellent circulation down there and was afraid of falling out of my boxer shorts (or that they wouldn't conceal the pickle in my pocket). I'm hoping my condition worsens, so I can go back for another "treatment".

500 Kawasaki??? How about the old 750 H2 Kawa I used to blast down the road on. Those were before the days of the mutant ninja rice rockets of today, but that machine with it's 3 expansion chambers sounded like a freakin' airplane.

cole930 11-13-2009 11:33 AM

Good News !!!!!!!

I could feel you lighting up while talking about the 750 Kaw..... FORGET IT !!!!

When you feel the itch just get the Harley out and go for a nice leisurely ride
like the "OLD FART" you are should .......

Don't make me come out there ........

Cole

tj930 11-13-2009 01:49 PM

Heheh... Glad you're on the mend, Marky boy

gsmith660 11-13-2009 03:08 PM

Hey hope you get better soon and I agree, you will be clutching before you know it. I take it the ankle is the result of tom foolery on a bike?

MikeD930 11-13-2009 04:22 PM

LOL...you guys, Mark and Cole, crack me up.

Mark,
Glad to hear that you're gonna be OK. So when are you getting back on a dirt bike? No, what a minute, I meant a 930. Were you wearing good pair of MX boots? If so then you're lucky. How did you mess your ankle up so bad?

Cole,
Let me know once your Old Sled runs again. We can have a mini Palooza in IN. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/support/smileys/clap.gif

mark houghton 11-13-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD94 (Post 5009542)
LOL...you guys, Mark and Cole, crack me up.

Mark,
Glad to hear that you're gonna be OK. So when are you getting back on a dirt bike? No, what a minute, I meant a 930. Were you wearing good pair of MX boots? If so then you're lucky. How did you mess your ankle up so bad?

Cole,
Let me know once your Old Sled runs again. We can have a mini Palooza in IN. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/support/smileys/clap.gif

Buck me off a horse....or an MX...and I'll always get back on, but next time with just a smidgen more respect as befitting of my age. No...strike that....I'm referring to my physical age, not mental age, which means I'll always be young and trying to re-create those memories when I could hold a wheelie as long as I wanted, and when she got away from me all it did was cause a little road rash - just pick out the gravel, grab another beer, and ride on bro'! Yes, had on good sturdy boots, but 225 pounds of bike that starts out vertical then slams down with all it's weight on your ankle and lower leg just isn't cool. Broke the fibula, cracked the tibia, smooshed all the ligaments and tendons on the top....fun fun fun.

I'll be back in the 930 next spring, mostly because the weather is starting to winterize (snowed today). So outside of the foot, I have a good excuse to abstain driving it.

sprbxr 11-13-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark houghton (Post 5008993)
500 Kawasaki??? How about the old 750 H2 Kawa I used to blast down the road on. Those were before the days of the mutant ninja rice rockets of today, but that machine with it's 3 expansion chambers sounded like a freakin' airplane.

I had one of those too. Crazy power, sh**ty handling. I went thru a 2 stroke street bike phase. My fave was an RG500. When I seized an RD350 at 90mph, I saw my life flash in front of me. End of the 2 stroke street bike phase.

MikeD930 11-13-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark houghton (Post 5009650)
Buck me off a horse....or an MX...and I'll always get back on, but next time with just a smidgen more respect as befitting of my age. No...strike that....I'm referring to my physical age, not mental age, which means I'll always be young and trying to re-create those memories when I could hold a wheelie as long as I wanted, and when she got away from me all it did was cause a little road rash - just pick out the gravel, grab another beer, and ride on bro'! Yes, had on good sturdy boots, but 225 pounds of bike that starts out vertical then slams down with all it's weight on your ankle and lower leg just isn't cool. Broke the fibula, cracked the tibia, smooshed all the ligaments and tendons on the top....fun fun fun.

I'll be back in the 930 next spring, mostly because the weather is starting to winterize (snowed today). So outside of the foot, I have a good excuse to abstain driving it.

Ouch! I know from my experience that soft tissue injuries (torn ligaments, etc) are worse that broken bones. Remember to do physical therapy when you are healed. Also, drink lots of milk. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/support/smileys/fles.gif ;)

MikeD930 11-13-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprbxr (Post 5009695)
I had one of those too. Crazy power, sh**ty handling. I went thru a 2 stroke street bike phase. My fave was an RG500. When I seized an RD350 at 90mph, I saw my life flash in front of me. End of the 2 stroke street bike phase.

That was scary. Did you pull in the clutch when it seized? That would be the right thing to do. I guess it's easier said than done.

I bet that 2 strokes will be back in full force within 10 yrs. Yes, I'm talking about clean, ultra low emission 2 strokes. So, maybe you will be back on a 2 stroke!

mark houghton 11-13-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprbxr (Post 5009695)
I had one of those too. Crazy power, sh**ty handling. I went thru a 2 stroke street bike phase. My fave was an RG500. When I seized an RD350 at 90mph, I saw my life flash in front of me. End of the 2 stroke street bike phase.

Same thing happened to my brother on his H2. Just screaming down the road, too damn hot outside, leaned her out and froze up big time. You've got about a half second after locking up to pull in the clutch and straighten her out, or you're toast. Fun fun.....life is full of suprises. Young people have quick reflexes, othewise I would be dead many times before now. Old people have slow reflexes and break bones.

A930Rocket 11-13-2009 07:50 PM

Glad to hear that things are looking up!

I tried to re-live my teens riding my dirt bike and hit a tree going all out one day (I was 44). F'd up my back and neck real bad. Sucked having to bend the shifter back, ride for miles to the truck, load the bike, get home and go to the hospital all by myself. Pretty much gave it up after that.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1258170609.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1258170576.jpg

cole930 11-13-2009 08:22 PM

Mark,

Just looking out for you here, a little more age appropriate and he will take trades.

Cole



http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1258172495.jpg

cl8ton 11-13-2009 08:57 PM

Mark you rode MX? here are some shots of me YEARS AGO hanging in my garage.
First bike shot, half mile racing in Mesa Marin CA, second shot MX in El Cajon CA.

1 year after the El Cajon pic I severed the ACL in my left knee, I suffer to this day with it (> 20 years later :( )

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1258174312.jpg

mark houghton 11-14-2009 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl8ton (Post 5009972)
Mark you rode MX? here are some shots of me YEARS AGO hanging in my garage.
First bike shot, half mile racing in Mesa Marin CA, second shot MX in El Cajon CA.

1 year after the El Cajon pic I severed the ACL in my left knee, I suffer to this day with it (> 20 years later :( )

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1258174312.jpg

Cool, a fellow MX'er! That picture looks just like me 20 days ago, except the bike was "past vertical", arm stretched out/throttle locked open. Started this nonsense back in the late 60's/early 70's on Yamahas. To this day, I still ride (ummmm....rode) a Yamahammer '73 360MX, '74 400MX, and ''78 500XC Husky...all fully restored and pristine.
Amazing how many 930 owners at one time shared the same interests. Maybe it's an inherent DNA coded need for speed, adrenalin, or whatever.

cl8ton 11-14-2009 01:06 PM

Mark you weren't trying to audition for "Metal Militia" were you :D

My choice of weapons in the 70's were:

Bultaco Astro (1/2 and 1/4 mile racing)
Honda 125 CR, Honda 250 CR, Husky 360, Maico 400 (MX)

At one point I would show up at a MX event and race three diff classes!
"Need for Speed" I know what you mean by this comment! The 930 certainly delivers this rush later in life doesn't it!

mark houghton 11-14-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl8ton (Post 5010985)
Mark you weren't trying to audition for "Metal Militia" were you :D

My choice of weapons in the 70's were:

Bultaco Astro (1/2 and 1/4 mile racing)
Honda 125 CR, Honda 250 CR, Husky 360, Maico 400 (MX)

At one point I would show up at a MX event and race three diff classes!
"Need for Speed" I know what you mean by this comment! The 930 certainly delivers this rush later in life doesn't it!

Although I eventually settled into Yamaha's, also did the Maico 400, 250 Elsinore, and Bultaco 250 Pursang route for awhile. Been looking for an old Sherpa T....thinking maybe I should graduate to something a little more mundane in a Trials bike. Would probably bore me to tears.....

I equate MX and cross country riding to downhill snow skiing....in both you have complete control of how far you want to push yourself to the edge and the adrenaline rush and freedom is exactly the same. The problem with the 930 is that it commands at least as much...if not more...respect, because a mistake at 100+ mph can do a lot more than break an ankle. God, I love 'em all!

sprbxr 11-14-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A930Rocket (Post 5009867)
Glad to hear that things are looking up!

I tried to re-live my teens riding my dirt bike and hit a tree going all out one day (I was 44). F'd up my back and neck real bad. Sucked having to bend the shifter back, ride for miles to the truck, load the bike, get home and go to the hospital all by myself. Pretty much gave it up after that.

Jim
At least you could ride your bike back to the truck.

I was riding the Ocala National Forest and hit a tree doing 40mph. Busted most of the spokes in the front wheel, bent the rim and twisted the forks. Bike no longer rolled. The worst part was getting tangled up in the rear wheel as I attempted to bail off. The rear tire shredded my riding pants and my underwear and nearly shredded my junk. It took about 4 hrs to get the bike to the truck. Thank goodness for GPShttp://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1258236821.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1258236848.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1258236876.jpg

mark houghton 11-14-2009 03:25 PM

Damn Justin, it's one thing to bend the front wheel, but you don't want to be messing with the family jewels!

OK boys, this has been fun. Since I started this now totally warped thread during a fit of frustration wondering if I could ever push in a clutch again, I guess I can at least slap a couple videos out there for your enjoyment.

Early spring last year, up near my mountain cabin where we tend to do the dirt thing. Most of the snow had melted, leaving a bit of mud. Enjoy...hope you don't mind the occasional profanity as I hit tree limbs, mud ruts and snow banks. We were jazzed and having a good time. That's my 50 year old bro' in front on the Yamaha '74 400MX, and me (considerably older) riding the '73 360MX with a cheap helmet mounted camera.

YouTube - spring MX'ing #2
YouTube - Spring MX'ing #1

A930Rocket 11-14-2009 06:19 PM

Justin, I'm trying not to laugh at your junk getting caught in the spokes/rear tire, but it's tough... :)

Mark, good videos. Thought your were going to run your bro over a few times. Reminds when I used to take the kids. They would wipe out in the sand and I would hit them from behind sometimes. The didn't like that...

sprbxr 11-14-2009 10:22 PM

I had tire marks on my skin. seriously. Uncomfortably close to the boys.

krasuskyp 11-14-2009 10:23 PM

D'oh Justin - that's brutal.

I used to snowmobile back when I was cool. We used to Chinese Downhill (c'mon, tell me you know what that means) and try to kick e/o when passing, etc. cause we were smaht like that. I bailed once and got sucked under the track (with 96 screws in it - one for every hp), tore my knee to the bone in the middle of bumfrickin nowhere. Good times.

Sold the Arctic Cat after my twin girls were born to buy a 4000quattro (one snow machine for another I figger'd) thinking 3kids now, time to grow up right? Which I then later oversteer'd into a tree during a *glorious* blizzard doing 4wheel drifts. Sigh.

Time to grow up?

NEVAH!

8-)

Mark... happy mending. Will send happy thoughts your way heh heh...


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website


DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.