Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tiptronic in a 930

OK, I'm pissed off after a followup doctor visit today to check on my mangled left ankle. To make matters worse, I'm scheduled tomorrow for a sonogram to make sure the pain in my leg isn't the result of a blood clot....can you say pulmonary embolism and see ya later?

So, automatic transmissions come to mind since clutching is out of the question (though I have mastered right foot clutching in combination with dry shifting in my daily driver truck). I do not own an automatic and have to somehow get to work to justify the salary I'm paid and to secure the money I need to feed the 930.

Tiptronic 930...anybody ever done it?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sorry to hear Mark! Hope all goes well!

Tiptronics are made from hardened peanut butter, they go down faster
than a prom dress (Iíve owned one before in a previous car $$$)

I would think a 930 engine is too abrupt and brutal for this type of tranny?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Mark,

You'll be speed shifting again b-4-u-no-it!! - - Like our cars, we all need a more attention as we age "together!!" Now, seriously, if we all put as much time in maintaining our minds/bodies as we do our 930's we'd be "skydiving" on our 100th B-day!!

I'm headed to the chiropractor at 8AM...

Last edited by mooney265; 11-12-2009 at 08:01 PM..
Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

In 1992 the RUF BTR became available with the Electronic Clutch System, or EKS, which was developed in partnership with Fichtel and Sachs. You might check with RUF and see if they can come up with something. They have a dealer in Texas now that might be able to help.

One came up used on Ebay some months back second hand and I think someone on Pelican asked about it. You might be able to back into running it down by doing a search here. Who knows, maybe it is still for sale and can be fitted along but you will probably need to convert your clutch to be hydraulically actuated.

Mark, I wish you the best.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ps, prices on 996TT's are close to $40k at times if that is somthing you might look at.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What is this negative s---. Blood clots are a piece of cake. Get your butt
in there tomorrow and kick it's a-- ,your like me, God doesn't want ya and the
devil can't handle the competition. If your nice they may give you some of those
cute long white elastic socks. I want pictures !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Mark-

Nothing transmission related to add but compelled to wish you the best in sorting thru it all. The camaraderie / support here is terrific.

I'm with mooney - spend fractions of the effort involved in the the conversion and put it into rehab'n the ankle... onward/upward 8-).

Kidding aside of course. Doesn't sound pretty tho - what happened if you'll offer?

Anyway- again - that's a bummer to hear, be well and it'll sort itself out. No matter which way it goes, you'll work the best of it.

ps. Cole your quote *slayed* me about god/devil - bwha!

pps. I go in to fix lumbar herniation 12/1 (home fer the holidaze woot) - my rehab *will* be declutching assorted pedals and bracing mesself into various Recaro bolsters whilst opposite lock - nearin quattro rooster season har...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 11-13-2009 at 05:59 AM..
Old 11-13-2009, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey all, thanks for the encouragement! I don't want a peanut butter transmission, would rather put $40K into my personal care vs. a 996 or an EKS tranny, and am having a embarassingly hard time picturing myself wearing those cute lycro white socks. Jesus Cole, I needed that laugh! The new mantra...."no more wheel stands"! Old farts need to stop acting like young dudes on meth while riding MX dirt bikes.

As far as transmissions go, it sounds like the only real alternatives are gear ratio/differential changes, or a G50. But wouldn't electronic paddle shifters on the steering wheel be cool?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If this must be a reality then the least expensive and least hassle install would be the 925 sporto tranny from the pre-79 911. I have no idea how strong/weak they are but I did have one once and the application would be complementary to turbo power as you drop out of boost momentarily when shifting.
If you decide to do this I have the shifter parts that I would give you. Sold the tranny years ago ...
Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sprbxr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Old farts need to stop acting like young dudes on meth while riding MX dirt bikes.

As far as transmissions go, it sounds like the only real alternatives are gear ratio/differential changes, or a G50. But wouldn't electronic paddle shifters on the steering wheel be cool?
You didn't crash on your dirt bike? I sold mine recently when my 42yr old body couldn't keep up with my 17yr old brain.

You could jump ship and get an M3 w/SMG. The one I had was a blast. Great on the track too.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

GET WELL SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

996TT-Tip-Sounds like the easiest way.......but I always do it the hard way also.....

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Walt.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there Mark,
Ha never say die! A hydraulic clutch throw out conversion simply can not be that difficult or too expensive. The pedal effort is way less, and can be fine tuned via slave cylinder diameter.

Then just live on large doses of Ibuprofin, works wonders for my mangled body. Hell, all my titanium screws & plates don't even set off the detector at the airports!

Stick to street bikes, those dirt bikes will really show your age.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 11-13-2009 at 08:12 AM..
Old 11-13-2009, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Plus one could tee in an electronic solinoid that would disengage the clutch with the push of a button with shifts. Probly would not help off the line unless one could build in a progressive function to it.

I belive Audi put a button on its shifters with its rally cars years ago.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Mark,

1:30 PM Indiana time and I was thinking about ya. Hope all goes well.
Sonogram ? Are you pregnant, probably a 500 Kawasaki dirt bike. You need to
let us know the prognosis because if your going to croak you may have some
parts I could use. The first time they told me my Cancer was terminal my three
sons in law were drawing straws to see who got to buy the "Old Sled". We
love ya, ya bum, keep us posted.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I had to wear those cute lycro socks after my disk surgery. It's not so bad. Just avoid looking in a full length mirror to see how stupid you look.
You might talk to Hayden at Wevo, he's come out with a new clutch package, "930 short superlite". I drove his '72 with the new clutch package and couldn't believe how little effort it took. http://www.wevo.com/Products/ClutchProducts/WevoClutchProducts.htm

Also, get a second opinion before you do anything drastic. Best of luck.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Mark,

1:30 PM Indiana time and I was thinking about ya. Hope all goes well.
Sonogram ? Are you pregnant, probably a 500 Kawasaki dirt bike. You need to
let us know the prognosis because if your going to croak you may have some
parts I could use. The first time they told me my Cancer was terminal my three
sons in law were drawing straws to see who got to buy the "Old Sled". We
love ya, ya bum, keep us posted.

Cole
All right, I don't need no stinkin' vultures waiting to pick the spoils remaining. The sonogram didn't detect any fetuses in my leg, nor any blockages so I'm good to go!

The best part of the procedure this morning was the absolute knock-out fox babe that did the procedure. She said "I'll start in your groin area....", and at once I experienced excellent circulation down there and was afraid of falling out of my boxer shorts (or that they wouldn't conceal the pickle in my pocket). I'm hoping my condition worsens, so I can go back for another "treatment".

500 Kawasaki??? How about the old 750 H2 Kawa I used to blast down the road on. Those were before the days of the mutant ninja rice rockets of today, but that machine with it's 3 expansion chambers sounded like a freakin' airplane.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Good News !!!!!!!

I could feel you lighting up while talking about the 750 Kaw..... FORGET IT !!!!

When you feel the itch just get the Harley out and go for a nice leisurely ride
like the "OLD FART" you are should .......

Don't make me come out there ........

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 11-13-2009 at 12:55 PM..
Old 11-13-2009, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Heheh... Glad you're on the mend, Marky boy
Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Hey hope you get better soon and I agree, you will be clutching before you know it. I take it the ankle is the result of tom foolery on a bike?
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me

Last edited by gsmith660; 11-13-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
LOL...you guys, Mark and Cole, crack me up.

Mark,
Glad to hear that you're gonna be OK. So when are you getting back on a dirt bike? No, what a minute, I meant a 930. Were you wearing good pair of MX boots? If so then you're lucky. How did you mess your ankle up so bad?

Cole,
Let me know once your Old Sled runs again. We can have a mini Palooza in IN.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: