Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
SAIGON 68

Garage
Anyone? Fabspeed air cleaner on 930

for a '78 930, i can't seem to find a really nice air filter setup
used. The fabspeed piece, $250.00. anyone have anything, good or bad to say? To fit with blownsix full bay. I assume there is more to it than a generic k&n with a price change. Thx, jp
Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have it

I have it. It is a very tight fit. When I did my rebuild a month ago I took the stock air filter housing off and got the fab speed set up. It barely fit on the fuel distributor. But all in all, it cleans the engine bay. It comes with other small filters for the breather tube and vent.

Rob
Old 11-19-2009, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Do a search on "open air filter" in this section and you will find out how to piece one together for about $30.00 . The fab speed piece is nice but you are paying out the a** for some extra plastic. I may even have the part # for the K&N filter that you use in the set up. You can pick up the vent tube filter at any parts store for about $4.00. If you would like pics of the set up in that I and others have used let me know and I will snap a couple today.Hope this helps......Ben
Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Infidel

Where's the pic of the one that somebody made from a stock airbox, they chopped it right back, welded a plate across the cut opening and fitted one of the K&N filters, looked like a simple mod if you have access to a welder, you get to keep the conical thingy that is in the top of the stock airbox too, i guess it helps with directing air to the middle of the plate or something. Looked like a good mod to me! I had a fabspeed/imagine auto airbox on mine, created loads more space in the engine bay, made getting to the WUR easier! Butchering your stock one would do the same, and probably be more robust!
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have the FabSpeed filter that was on my car sitting in my garage.
I would have to look to see if I have the smaller filters but if you want it pm me.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have it and I think it is a wayyyy overpriced kit. Basic oval shaped pleated filter that barely fits into the space allotted and a few cheap round filters for the hoses from the oil tank, etc.

It did fit and does work, however.

I am sure you can easily make up your own kit for a better fit and use the extra cash for an upgraded WUR or exhaust or something useful.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 11-20-2009, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Those plastic K&N filters were $400 when first introduced a decade or so ago.

Here's mine. Can't get any simpler than that. Ads no power but does sound good and makes things easy to work on.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The Fabspeed air cleaner is a little taller than most of the round K&N air filters people put on these cars and it's oval shaped and mounted offset on the air intake so the longer end of the oval goes toward the firewall.
The filter element has more surface area than a round filter because of this so it will have less resistance and flow more air.
Like most aftermarket stuff it is kinda overpriced for what you get but it has the largest surface area and therefore is the best flowing air filter I've seen that mounts right on the CIS air flow meter and doesn't limit access to any other CIS hardware.

I had a small round 3" tall K&N style air cleaner on my car for a while so I could repeatedly get at my adjustable Brian Leask WUR without removing the intercooler and origonal air cleaner housing until I got it adjusted the best I could and then I put the origonal air cleaner housing with a clean K&N element back on and with nothing else done the car immediately had .5 bar higher boost and around 10 more horsepower because the larger air filter element was flowing alot more air than the little round one.
I also cut off the big rounded hinged steel section of the origonal air cleaner housing leaving just enough to hold the filter element in place and repainted it so it wouldn't rust.

A restrictive air filter element on a turbocharged engine can lower the positive air pressure on the compressor side oil seal in the turbo and cause oil to breach that piston ring type seal and if that happens you have a turbo that will continue to leak oil into the compressor making your car a smoker.
This will not always happen on a stock motor with an origonal Borg Warner built K27 but with a higher flowing hybrid K27 on a car with higher flowing cams than stock or SC cams the chance of it happening increases.

If you don't believe that then call any professional KKK turbo rebuilder certified by 3K Borg Warner in the UK, and ask them.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
Where's the pic of the one that somebody made from a stock airbox, they chopped it right back, welded a plate across the cut opening and fitted one of the K&N filters, looked like a simple mod if you have access to a welder, you get to keep the conical thingy that is in the top of the stock airbox too, i guess it helps with directing air to the middle of the plate or something. Looked like a good mod to me! I had a fabspeed/imagine auto airbox on mine, created loads more space in the engine bay, made getting to the WUR easier! Butchering your stock one would do the same, and probably be more robust!
That's what I did to mine (I might have a picture at home). Using a big cone filter. The whole assembly looks like the Powerflo plastic units that run about 4 times the cost I have into this one. All the air intake is pulled from the top-right side of the engine, right next to the hood hinge.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Wish I would have checked first with this board, but I also purchased it, it is fine, fits okay, looks fine.
Not sure if it is worth $250.00 but I didn't have the time to put one together myself.
87 930 Super Cup (964) Cams , Andial K27 7200 Turbo, Andial Intercooler, Twin Plug, Andial Fuel Enrichment System, Carillo Rods, Mahle Pistons, Raceware head studs, Adjustable Turbo, Ruf Wheels, plus much more...
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There is a point where the tiny filter would become restrictive.
I've dyno'd my engine with the stock air cleaner, tiny air cleaner and no air cleaner. No change. I've had this air cleaner on my engine for several years with no issues. I think it is safe to say that the tiny filter will support at least 325whp. I haven't calculated the surface area but I'm sure it is greater than the stock air cleaner assembly.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The Pumpkin wears the Fabspeed cleaner. I had a hard time finding a small filter that would fit (most of them were oval or too small) then the one that would work kind of looked cheap and I wasn't able to make it work and look OK. probably more to do with my lack of skill than anything else.

I like the Fabspeed and it works fine, love the noise from it, reminds me of my SS396.

BTW, I have the original filter housing in perfect condition if anyone wants it make me an offer

b
1982 930 Track Car "The Pumpkin"
2002 996tt X50 Lapis Blue Street Machine
Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Another Aircleaner

For comparison purposes, here is the Imagine Auto air filter snorkle. I guess this might be a collectors item now. I didn't think it fit well on the MAF body because it does not drop down on the rubber seal, but no leaks on the smoke test. It makes slightly more noise than stock because of the location of the intake opening. Being plastic, it does not hold the heat like the metal one does. It was too expensive, but I could not live with the stock unit. How did that design ever survive? Really?

Mark
Old 11-20-2009, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
My airbox was sent out chopped and reworked to accept the K&N filter. Powdercoated to finish it off. Short money clean look.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSKI View Post
My airbox was sent out chopped and reworked to accept the K&N filter. Powdercoated to finish it off. Short money clean look.
There ya go....but I'm using a slightly longer filter on chopped stock housing that just amost touches the hood hinge. Plenty of surface area.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Those plastic K&N filters were $400 when first introduced a decade or so ago.

Here's mine. Can't get any simpler than that. Ads no power but does sound good and makes things easy to work on.

where can i find ?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

When I had the stock box, I drilled a bunch of holes in the lower half of the cover, then later, removed almost all of the cover but what holds the air filter in place. Found a used BMC for a good price and bought that. Really cleans up the engine bay.

Here's a stock filter with a Chevy truck air fliter.

Here's a stock filter modded by Stphan Kaspar.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Here is a picture of the modified mailbox I used before coming up with the tiny filter. I hated that thing. Must have removed the intercooler 100 times just to take the air cleaner housing off.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

you have a pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown10 View Post
I have the FabSpeed filter that was on my car sitting in my garage.
I would have to look to see if I have the smaller filters but if you want it pm me.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Here is the filter that I have orginally from Fabspeed

This pic shows the custom airfilter I went with

Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: