Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Glad you got it running and hope you get the wastegate working and get to drive it soon.
They look nice and I hope it they make more horsepower.

...there's probably more interest and suspense waiting on this thread than any of them right now!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
More progress, and setbacks. I was able to reseat the wastegate so that it does not leak at idle. While I was under the car, I noticed that cylinder #4's tubing was not turning a nice golden hue like the other 5 cylinders were. I could touch the pipe and it was cold.

First I put a spare spark plug on the end of the ignition wire, held to ground, and observed spark. (more on this later). I installed a different used plug in #4, but still dead.

Then I pulled the injector and observed fuel spraying when I pushed the air plate down. I switched the injector with #5 for the hell of it, but still dead.

So having fuel and spark, I convinced myself that my valve adjustment may have left one of the valves too tight (it is an unheated garage, so the engine is COLD). But I rechecked 4-5-6 intake and exhaust and they were fine. #4 still dead.

So I pulled all the plugs, and conducted a compression test- between 115-125 across the boards, number 4 had 125.

What the heck- fuel, spark, compression and it won't fire even once? The header tube can be touched while the others are scalding hot in 20 seconds of idling. So back to the spark- I did have spark but the spark itself was not too impressive, almost hard to see in a pretty dark garage. More searching on PP and I learn a weak spark can jump across a plug in free air but potentially not fire under tension in a compressed cylinder. So I pulled wire #4 (Clewett wires with 14k on them) and got 2700 ohms of resistance, where I was looking for about 1500 [500 ohms per foot of wire].

I decided to use the dead cylinder #4 wire on the #5 plug, and put #5's working wire on the problem #4. AND GUESS WHAT? Now #5 doesn't fire (cold tube), so it must be the ignition wire, right??? But #4 still doesn't fire!!! So if I had a bad wire, I should have been able to "move" the problem to cylinder #5, which I did, but I would expect #4 to fire now.

If anyone is still reading this, you may be as frustrated as I am. The entire house reeks of insanely rich exhaust from all the retests, despite the garage doors being open since the car is backed in. I am done and moving into diagnosis by credit card mode- I've ordered a set of magnecor wires, cap, rotor, and plugs from our host on the prayer that some weirdness is going on with one of my wires and then (after all the manipulation) another one of my wires either crapped out or my distributor cap has something going on with the #4 post.

I am simply out of ideas. The parts should arrive Friday (CA-to-NY) for our host and I get another crack at this next weekend.

Last edited by gsxrken; 01-24-2010 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I feel your pain. If you read my post when installing the beta headers I had a similar set of issues. Tried to do too many while-you-are-in-there's at once which really sounds good in theory. Reality can be a bit less glamorous.
If you have a way to read AFR's check your fuel mixture. Mine went lean.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Brian and gsxrken,
Should the headers be a "golden hue" when idling? Were the plugs wet when you inspected them?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes 321 stainless turns a bronze color when heat cycled. One way to tell you have the good stuff.

Here is a picture of a client's muffler after a few heat cycles:

Old 01-24-2010, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Yes 321 stainless turns a bronze color when heat cycled. One way to tell you have the good stuff.

Here is a picture of a client's muffler after a few heat cycles:

Wow! that's a work of art!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Brian,
Just curious really, but have you a reason why people choose to have their exhaust exit on the driver's side (like factory) when they can just as easily have it exit the passenger side? Seems it would save a whole lot of space.
Thanks. Great products, btw
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Brian,
Just curious really, but have you a reason why people choose to have their exhaust exit on the driver's side (like factory) when they can just as easily have it exit the passenger side? Seems it would save a whole lot of space.
Thanks. Great products, btw
Maybe because you don't have to cut the lower valance? Just a guess...

- Mike
Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post

- Mike
........but Brian sells the valances, with or without cutouts.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That is correct, the factory outlet is on the driver's side. Those with steel color coded valances are not so eager to move the exit pipe to the passenger's side. The fiberglass valances can be rattle canned to a close match which is what most folks do that purchase them. Others cut out the passenger's side to match the driver's side and get the dual out muffler or split the system with the muffler exiting the passenger's side and the waste gate exit on the driver's side.
Lots of options if you want to move the tailpipe, only one if you wish to keep the stock exit look.
As a side note there is no difference in performance and just a little difference in sound between the driver's vs passenger's exit tailpipe with my systems.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post

- Mike
Bingo!

That photo is of my car's @$$

I wanted a plug 'n play muffler. Did not want to mess with the valance at the time. If I did it again, I might choose the passenger side exit or maybe the center exit w/ wastegate dump alongside. Brian's systems are modular (AFAIK) so I'm sure he could sell me just the pieces I need to convert to one of the other configs if I decide to change it up.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes they are modular which alows plug and play tailpipes in many configurations.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
If you have a way to read AFR's check your fuel mixture. Mine went lean.
I do have an LM-1 that I do not leave installed on the car but can do the cigarette lighter thing for checking my idle or recording a blast through the gears for AFRs. I have not installed it on this system yet due to the issues noted. The car hasn't been on the ground yet. When I have it hitting on all six cylinders, but before I reinstall the bumper assembly, I can re-baseline with this new setup. My guess would be that my idle mixture needs wouldn't change, but we'll see.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
@RarlyL8

Why is the bend not one piece? It looks not that smooth around that bow, at least from this angle shown on pic

Anyway, nice parts your headers and mufflers

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffighter View Post
@RarlyL8

Why is the bend not one piece? It looks not that smooth around that bow, at least from this angle shown on pic

Anyway, nice parts your headers and mufflers
to tight of radius on the 180 for the tooling

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There is another benefit of the 2-piece bend, it is a larger ID than the rest of the pipe due to the angle of cut. The bend is actually very smooth.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
SUCCESS! I just got back from a no-bumper excursion with some rip-snorting passes on the Taconic State Parkway... it's probably a good time to lay low in the garage for a little bit.

The most noticeable thing is that first gear breaks the tires loose as the boost comes on, something it did not do before. It does come on earlier, which is probably why. I wish I had boost and RPM logging data to really bring to this thread, but my LM-1 only has AFR. I did have to richen it up a touch, as it was at 15.3 at idle; whether this was due to my tuneup and valve adjustment, or better breathing, I can't say. The new Magnecors, cap, rotor, and plugs finally lit up the #4 cylinder, and again I'll never know which component it was. I suspect it was the wires as per my findings documented on my earlier posts.

I love the sound, too. With the sixth cylinder running, it actually seems quieter than I first thought at idle, but it cranks it up when I'm on it. The wastegate dump just adds to the party when it pops off. It being January in NY, I've been driving my truck all winter and haven't driven a real car in months- it's awesome how quick this thing rips up to 100MPH. Not having driven it in months, I really can't comment on off-idle tip in improvements right now, other than it still sucks compared to any other car out there.

That's it for now. When I get it buttoned up (bumper, lighted license plate bracket wired up) I'll take it out real legal-like and get some non-boosted impressions. Right now I'm enjoying the sounds and smells of the car ticking down to room temperature in my garage, and enjoying a general sense of bonding with the car. It took longer than expected but I would recommend this setup to everyone with one of these cars.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
hey, is that a euro exhaust you just removed? if so, I need a J-pipe if you r interested in selling........ Thanks
zaidigonzo@yahoo.com
im in fl, north of tampa
Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjam View Post
You could quite easily make a 9mm key by grinding down a 10mm key
You prob actually need a 9mm that gets ground down a little and hammered in tight to get them out
Old 01-30-2010, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, we obviously way past that. carry on. BTW, Nice exhaust Brian
Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: