Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Lindsey vs. Weidman vs. ... (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/513676-lindsey-vs-weidman-vs.html)

pavulon 11-29-2009 11:30 AM

Lindsey vs. Weidman vs. ...

Looking for differences b/w products of folks converting factory fuchs to 17" diameter for 930 applications? Constructive input appreciated. SmileWavy

Noah930 11-29-2009 11:59 AM

I don't think Harvey Weidman is making 17 wheels. He's doing some of the painting/finishing for Zuffenhaus/Jeff Alton, who's making 17" Fuchs replicas, though.

Are you referring to True Design? That outfit, along with Lindsey, are the ones I know who are taking 16" Fuchs, cutting out the centers, and then welding them onto new 17" barrels with custom widths and offsets. My only concern with that, is that you're still using a 20-30 year-old center.

The option is to go with Zuffenhaus, as they're making new 17" Fuchs. Forged, 3-piece. Custom widths and offsets available, too. The benefit is the newness of all their components. Also, cosmetically, the Fuchs centers have been upsized to fit a 17" size, as opposed to using a smaller center, and then making up the difference a bit with the rim profile to achieve 17". Depends on how much of a stickler you are, cosmetically. The downside to Zuffenhaus is that you may/may not have to wait a few months before they'll actually make you the wheels, as they're just entering production.

I don't know if the Rotas are an option. They also have 17" diameters, but I think the offsets were designed with SC and Carrera fitments in mind. They're only available in 7" and 9" widths, so there's no width benefit over stock. The wheels are cast, not forged. There have been some quality control issues with runout, IIRC. There's big debate on whether the casting is as safe as forging for track-type use. But I don't recall anyone ever posting about a Rota failure, and I know many people who have tracked their sets without trouble.

There's also the Blown Six Fuchs replica. Also a forged multipiece wheel. I don't know any stats on the wheels. But if their customer service is as awful as it was with their intercoolers, no way I'd consider their product.

drmatera 11-29-2009 02:10 PM

wow, so Zuffenhaus is still a waiting list huh? I wonder if they'll ever "stock" wheels or are there just to many offsets and widths to contend with. I will be in the market for some next year, maybe the wait time will be low by then. i'm so impatient

Buckterrier 11-29-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmatera (Post 5037972)
wow, so Zuffenhaus is still a waiting list huh? I wonder if they'll ever "stock" wheels or are there just to many offsets and widths to contend with. I will be in the market for some next year, maybe the wait time will be low by then. i'm so impatient

It was a looooooong wait, (3 days short of a year). But the wheels are beautiful. I think the original 50 sets are all about delivered. Now they can concentrate on the 'standard' offsets for 7, 9, 11 inch wheels.

Noah930 11-29-2009 10:07 PM

I'm waiting for my set of Zuffenhaus wheels. It's been about a year. A month ago they were supposedly sent out to Weidman for the RSR finish. Then I think they get shipped back to North Carolina for final assembly. I'm hoping to have them by Christmas.

Reaper930 11-30-2009 02:17 AM

Harvey takes forever on wheels - but the end product is worth the wait...he did my e50 rim halves on the 19" setup from the 935 - the guy does brain surgery quality on wheels...

drmatera 11-30-2009 06:30 AM

from the pics and testimonies i'm sure the wheels are worth the wait. After the first of the year i'll give them a call.

Miguel Antonett 11-30-2009 07:56 AM

I'm very familiar with Lindseys and have them on my car - great wheels; and have seen the Zuffenhaus at their shop. The outer look of the Zuffenhaus is definitely closer to the real thing, basically due to the lip round/smooth configuration.

drmatera 11-30-2009 01:00 PM

any pics per chance?

911teo 12-01-2009 07:02 AM

I also ordered a set of Zuffenhaus wheels after my Lindsey failed....

I toyed with the idea of getting a BBS Motorsport wheel made (they do it... in Germany) but ended up costing twice as much and was not even coated (so no road use).

I decided to go with the black finish (whole wheel black) coz I could not be bothered to wait an extra 3 months for the RSR finish....

Hopefully they will be here soon, now that they have worked through the back log...

Reaper930 12-01-2009 07:36 AM

Matteo! What's up buddy! Hope all is well, make sure you post up when you install the wheels, all black will look totally sick on your car.

drmatera 12-01-2009 08:28 AM

this seems like a perfectly good thread for people with aftermarket Fuchs to post up pics and give their opinion on fit and finish. I just put a set of turbo twists on my 930, they look good but i miss the deep dish look so i doubt they'll be on the car for much longer.