Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Turbocharge a CIS 2.7

May be an old subject, but does anybody still make a kit for a CIS 2.7 motor like they did some 20 years ago?
1974 Porsche 911 (2003 - 2012)
2000 Boxster S (2006 - 2008)
Old 11-29-2009, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I dont think so but some have done it DIY. I would suggest scrap the CIS and go EFI and you will need an ignition that will give you boost retard the stock 2.7 dizzy wont do you any good there.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 11-29-2009, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The 2.7 unless rebuilt is not a stable platform. Personally I would start with a 3.0. The cases on the 2.7 require a lot of work to become reliable
Old 11-29-2009, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschephd View Post
The 2.7 unless rebuilt is not a stable platform. Personally I would start with a 3.0. The cases on the 2.7 require a lot of work to become reliable
You can always take the safe route aw heck whats the fun in that! I did my conversion on a 2.7 mostly to learn how to tune the EFI and learn how to tune a turbo motor. In all honesty I will be putting together a 3.2 short stroke motor in the very near future and I will be very intrested to tear this motor down to see what adding the turbo did to it. My case had all the mods done to it so I am confident the case will hold together and I had a recent upper end done on this motor so the only real concern I have is preventing any detonation so I dont hole a piston. That is why I said that about the dizzy and using EFI over CIS as you will have the ability to tune the air/fuel ratios and if you go with a tuneable ignition (I went with EDIS controlled by my EFI computer) you stand a chance at a fun little motor I have had a blast driving mine it has good response off boost and when then the boost kicks in well it is a kick in the pants I would like to work it out so the boost comes in a little smoother but that will be the other motor. The jist of this ramble is you can do it it will be fun but I feel like I am rideing on a ticking time bomb although I would like to see my motor go the distance till I can get the other one built but it is a crap shoot. Good luck.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 11-29-2009, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschephd View Post
The 2.7 unless rebuilt is not a stable platform. The cases on the 2.7 require a lot of work to become reliable
Tell me about it - my turbo build is using a CIS 2.4T 7R case and required just short of $3K in case work to be a truly reliable platform for my small bore turbo.

Personally, I wouldn't turbo a 2.7 since I feel that the smaller spigots of the 2.4 mag case is paramount for reliability. After all, this is the case the 2.1RSR turbo used.

Any aluminum case is a MUCH better starting point, so if you want to build a mag case turbo, you'd better user really low boost or have a purpose for using one.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: