Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smoking issue w/'79 930

I've been trying to stop but can't seem to. But on to serious topics. I have a '79 930 that just recently underwent a full refresh with normal upg and was completely stock and unmolested before I did it. The usual things plus a Hyflow S turbo, Kokeln IC, and GHL headers/muffler. I have less than 2k miles on it since and have run into a major issue I have noticed a few other folks post so I thought I would post something and see what some of the experts think.

The car pulls and runs like it never has and is exactly where I want but after warming up and upon deceleration it will start to smoke. If you give it some gas in neutral or step on it then it is fine for a few more minutes. Now I have seen some people say that the seal in the turbo is bad or that oil is not evacuating properly. If someone has gone through this with a resolution I would like to hear as it drives me crazy that coin that has been spent on new parts to have this car that looks cool but is embarassing to drive once it starts to smoke...not to mention the damage the collected oil may be doing. Obviously going through more oil than not due to this problem. Thank you for your help.
'74 Triumph TR6
Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
valve guides or turbo seals, check both.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
A fresh engine and aftermarket headers should be broken in using the old turbo. Rebuild goo in the oil and FOD from the headers can damage the turbo.
If you are lucky that is what happened, if unlucky you have an engine problem.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A "full refresh with normal upg" is a pretty vague description of what's been done to your motor.
More details are needed to make good guesses.

It sounds like you're saying everything worked great with no oil smoke for the first 2000 miles after installing an aftermarket hybrid turbo among other things?

If there is oil pooled in the turbo compressor housing and wet oil all through the charge pipe and intercooler and intake system, or burnt wet oil residue visible in the turbine housing behind the turbine wheel, put the origonal non smoking turbo or a known good turbo back on and see if it still smokes and go from there...
Old 11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
loose THAT turbo and i bet your problem goes away. find a 7006 and end what will be a no win no fun situation
Old 11-30-2009, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Need more data, what exactly was done on the engine rebuild between before you had smoke and now?
Also, was the turbo new or used?
Perhaps the little 9mm oil antidrain back ball was not installed in the oil supply to the turbo during the rebuild?
I installed new k27S and intercooler and GSF headers on my stock engine as an upgrade only and luckily never had smoking issues to date. That was 14k miles ago.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-30-2009, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Pull your inter-cooler and see if it is 'wet' with oil from your turbo seal leaking.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Put on the OLD TURBO, in good working order of course. Hopefully it doesn't smoke...

Thats what I did....

Hey, I like my 7006-old technology --easily walked-40-110mph a z06...

Last edited by wjfk32; 11-30-2009 at 01:05 PM..
Old 11-30-2009, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

First of all I appreciate the responses. Everything was new nothing used. When I mean "normal upg" I mean raceware studs, tensioner upg, seals, basically the check list for what to upgrade when refreshing an untouched stock 930 engine, etc. I wasn't going crazy just wanted a more efficient 930 with some best practice upgrades. Outside of that the previous turbo was toast so no chance of taking the approach mentioned.

In terms of when it actually started I was working out some fuel pump problems so it masked some of the smoking issues so I would say it was something that starting after about 1500 or so miles.

Funny on a couple comments on that turbo since it was one of the recommended ones from this and other forums. From what I have seen from other folks having the same problem as I have it seems to point to the turbo seals or something around that. Next step to get it off and see.

One more thing from a post above regarding the IC and the wet oil around it. Could you explain that further as I looked around there last weekend and did notice some oil now that you mention it that was not there before. The problem was there prior to me seeing the oil for the first time when I looked recently but I will mention the oil that I saw was after a 10 mile run as the problem only starts after the car is at operating temp.

Much appreciated.
'74 Triumph TR6

Last edited by dwa1971; 11-30-2009 at 01:14 PM..
Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I had a similar issue like yours--Intercooler/pipe leading to the turbo. Not a tight fit and the freakin organge-ring broke..Had a bit of oily engine compartment...
Took it apart and noticed oil residue inside the tube not much..-Turbo seals..Hopefully U don't see OMG amount.

Mind u, I have 15,000 miles on my top end rebuilt..New7006..Haven't driven the car for 10yrs..
Just got on the road this year...I haven't noticed any smoke while driving or neutral..etc.. Only start-up sometimes a puff of smoke..not out of ordinary. Hopefully your mech's workshop has a spare turbo to test.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

What grade and brand oil are you using?
That turbo runs hotter than other K27 varients and it has a better chance of surviving if you use synthetic 20w-50 motor oil.

Where did you buy it?
Might help to get in touch with the vendor asap if you find the oil seals are toast.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
If you did studs then I'm also assuming you did rings? Are you sure the rings are seated? Have you done a compression and leakdown test?
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 11-30-2009, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
A.) Conduct a scavenge pump test to see if the smoking ceases (this way you can rule out the seals) and also make sure that the pump is sucking oil up faster than the turbo is spitting it out...do this test multiple times and until the engine gets hot!!!

B.) Check to ensure they put the BB back in the check valve when they rebuilt engine

C.) If the scavenge system is working correctly, again, check this multiple times, then you are probably looking at a leaking turbo seal

For a more complete listing of how to remedy this problem, look up "oil scavenge problems"
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If you suspect turbo seals or valve guides as the mystery oil source, look before and after the turbo to help narrow it down. Airbox oil can be from crankcase blowby (guides/rings) or overfilled oil tank via the vent hoses.

If you don't see oil in the air box, and/or the plumbing post-airbox or before the turbo exhaust side, but you do see it post-turbo conmpresssor in the up-pipe/intercooler, then suspect the seals or scavage pump operation as already mentioned.

My turbo spits a little oil, as evidenced by a small pool sitting on top of the up-pipe to the IC. There was a discussion thread on this awhile back, and it seems that a high percentage of people see a little oil coating things and consider it normal. But when you start seeing clouds of oil smoke, it's gone beyond the acceptable norm.

Embarassing when people give you the thumbs up for the beautiful car, only to gag in your wake.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
If you did studs then I'm also assuming you did rings? Are you sure the rings are seated? Have you done a compression and leakdown test?
+1

You're gonna be guessing until you do a leakdown. If it comes back ok, rule out valved and rings. Since you said decel, it could be valve guides - and you won't be the first to have new guides that have a problem.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: