Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
One last pic for the night which I think clearly illustrates that whether the rockers are boxed or not they meet up at both the front and rear fender arches at the wheel wells in the same relative orientation. At least on factory built cars.

'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilodawg View Post
The fit is spot on and the parts are the same on the PET.
It may not be the way you would like it to be but it is the way it is. I mean if you just think about the way the rockers are shaped you would realize that where they meet the fender wells they do so the same way whether they are standard rockers or boxed.
I'm not going to play truth or dare here on slant rocker panel end caps but in my case the factory 911 end caps fit terribly on all sides. The upper metal rocker edging was all exposed, the large rubber rail was sticking halfway out, the contours were crap and the whole thing looked quite crude. If you look at mine, the contour of the end cap goes all the way up to the body of the car top and bottom, covering everything. The other pictures show exposed pieces and stuffed rubber. So it came down to what you said, "not the way I liked it." So I Just made my own and moved on.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
zcoker,

I didn't mean to come across as aggressive as I perhaps did. It's just that since I first got my car I have heard all kinds of stories as to what is or isn't correct, where and how they were assembled and on and on. The fact that Porsche instituted changes along the way and that many companies did conversions in the aftermarket arena helps to cloud the real history too.

I tend to try and keep the facts as straight as possible. Not that I haven't been wrong before. So just wondering is your car a factory slant (M505 or prior) or a conversion because that might clear up the issue of your fitment problems. Just wondering.

It also looked like from the picture you included that there was no body Schutz applied to the rockers prior to paint. In other words it looks like a smooth surface. Is that correct or just how the picture makes it appear..Please reference the picture below.

'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
zcoker,

I didn't mean to come across as aggressive as I perhaps did. It's just that since I first got my car I have heard all kinds of stories as to what is or isn't correct, where and how they were assembled and on and on. The fact that Porsche instituted changes along the way and that many companies did conversions in the aftermarket arena helps to cloud the real history too.

I tend to try and keep the facts as straight as possible. Not that I haven't been wrong before. So just wondering is your car a factory slant (M505 or prior) or a conversion because that might clear up the issue of your fitment problems. Just wondering.

It also looked like from the picture you included that there was no body Schutz applied to the rockers prior to paint. In other words it looks like a smooth surface. Is that correct or just how the picture makes it appear..Please reference the picture below.

Hey, no problem man. It is weird how these car are so guessed at. I wish that this post had been around when I went through my end cap ordeal. So it is all good. Anyway, what you said could be the case, as I don't know if the panels are different sizes for M505 or dealer installs (as far as I know, my car was a dealer conversion with factory parts and when I got the car, the end caps were missing). Even at that, the 911 end caps were way off in fit, not even close. And believe me, I searched high an low for the right caps because I had no desire to make the friggin things. But I had no other option and they turned out better than expected, much more contoured and covering most of the end without any metal showing. Here is a picture I got of a factory slantnose rocker end cap and it is much larger than the 911 caps that I have in my garage. I restored my rockers thus the smooth finish underneath.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Very, very interesting. I went to the PET ('89 edition) and once again confirmed that for that edition anyway the parts are the same between regular and boxed rockers. There is a difference between front to back/ left to right (left front is same as right rear etc. ) but they still list as the same part number. It also doesn't list, as occasionally they do, that a part has been superceded. I also found another decent shot of an '89 in my stash which is consistent with mine and the red car.

All I can surmise then is that if indeed that is a factory end cap, it was from a pre '87-'89 M505 car. By definition a euro non-US car. There is one guy in my area who has one and I will try and contact him to see if he can provide more of a clue. I know that these things developed over time before the US cars kind of "standardized" the modifications. Any info you could provide on where the picture you have came from would be appreciated. I'm sorry to have taken over this thread and will continue from now on on the Slantnose thread we already have going....

'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

hey, dont mind me, i am learning more and more every day. the civil technical discussions here are wonderful.

now, does anybody know if you can make the pop up lights stay up? i want to drive the car a bit, and i figure i can jumper a relay , and leave the lights up and off.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Beautiful car... congratulations!!!! Welcome to the slopenose club.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Very, very interesting. I went to the PET ('89 edition) and once again confirmed that for that edition anyway the parts are the same between regular and boxed rockers. There is a difference between front to back/ left to right (left front is same as right rear etc. ) but they still list as the same part number. It also doesn't list, as occasionally they do, that a part has been superceded. I also found another decent shot of an '89 in my stash which is consistent with mine and the red car.

All I can surmise then is that if indeed that is a factory end cap, it was from a pre '87-'89 M505 car. By definition a euro non-US car. There is one guy in my area who has one and I will try and contact him to see if he can provide more of a clue. I know that these things developed over time before the US cars kind of "standardized" the modifications. Any info you could provide on where the picture you have came from would be appreciated. I'm sorry to have taken over this thread and will continue from now on on the Slantnose thread we already have going....

It could be the length of the rocker, how far it comes out toward the wheel. Look at the pic here, the rocker is way out over the fender lip as opposed to most of the other shots on this post where it rides the edge or is back further. Interesting.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

oh yes, i ordered replacement rocker end caps . will also take some better pics of the cars tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
.................................................. .........

As an FYI, my '85 factory slant has the standard 930 end caps. Don't rule out that the end cap in question could be a panel-fitter fabrication. Look on the inside of the cap and see if there are any stampings that would indicate it is a factory piece.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
The factory stamping may look something like this..........

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-04-2009, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

drove the car abit today. drives ok. needs tires ( old), steering bushing needs to be replaced. swepco 201 for the gearbox, still need to take out the left front headlight, and see why the fogs dont work. car is "heavy" as its a widebody cab, but it feels ok on the road. i have a whol epile of tune up stuff coming.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

i have a slopenose question, that does not need to be posted in public yet. anybody here care to tell me who the Slope Guru would be, so that i may send a polite pm?

thanks, this is a VERY BIG DEAL to me.

Michael
Old 12-04-2009, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by THECARREAPER View Post
i have a slopenose question, that does not need to be posted in public yet. anybody here care to tell me who the Slope Guru would be, so that i may send a polite pm?

thanks, this is a VERY BIG DEAL to me.

Michael
Me or "kilodawg" have done a lot of research into these cars. drop us a pm.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Me or "kilodawg" have done a lot of research into these cars. drop us a pm.
thank you kilodawg has been informed. i will clue you in too, when i have time to send the pm!

thanks!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

started working on the "little things" like cleaning, replacing bulbs, and just being curious.

anybody know what the big black bottle is? i am assuming washer fluid? is this a correct part for a slopenose?

Old 12-06-2009, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

took pics of the rear vents.

the brake ducts look well made, and like they have been there a long time.

also went diving under the dash, removing an old alarm system in the process.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

pics of the vents from the front. yes the car is dirty.....
Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

i had some pm's about the front oil cooler on the car. it has a Porsche part number on it, but i need to put it on a lift to get a better shot. here are two pics, the best i can do for now.

the oil cooler is mounted in the nose. but please remember this is NOT A REAL TURBO.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

i am off to the parts section. it seems i need two of those handle things to operate the top ???

i dont have a manual for the car, but it looks like there are two keyways for removable handles, like my 85 Targa has.

my poor Targa has sticking brake calipers, so they are off while i rebuild them, and replace the flex hoses.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: