Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Upgrade to rarlyL8, Thread no 1

Hey people

I purchased a RarlyL8 muffler from Brian Bodart. Brian is a very very nice guy, He really helped my choose the right muffler to my beloved 930. He always answered my questions, eventhoug they were sometimes stupid. The muffler will go by container along a Porsche I bought from a friend in CA, so I will not be able to install it before 6-7 weeks. More pictures will come.

Back to business. When I change my stock muffler to a RarlyL8, I will remove my air injection system as well. Brian also sends my 6 air injection nuts. I now have the time to remove the air pump, and the hoses and lines. I will need your guides to help me do that properly. I now write the work, that I will perform. Remove the existing exhaust system, heat exchangers, Y-junktion, ( I will make a new Y-junktion tube I stainless steel with better flow in 2˝”) and remove the muffler. Remove the air injection system, and plug the holes wit these nuts. (do I have to put some Locktite on the nuts before installation? Remove the air pump, can I remove the pump from the top of the engine?

Please look at these pictures. Do you have any comment to them, or to the text?

Thanks

Best regards
Jesper

aka The Beauty and the Beast
Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Beautiful muffler Jesper! While I wish I knew more to help you out, someone will chime in soon I bet.

On a side note about Brian - he's a tops guy who rode shotgun with me on the Dragon and is a truly great guy.

Congrats on a beautiful system!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Jesper, yes you can remove the pump from the top of the engine.. I believe you need to remove the headers to get at the air lines (my winter project).. also alot has been written about needing loctite so you don't lose the air injection plugs.
I don't think you need to remove that part of the exhaust in your second to last pic..but others may chime in..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 12-02-2009, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you are going to the trouble of fabricating a "Y" junction to replace the existing, I would use V band clamps as it will make removal and replacement that much easier...
‘55 Belair
‘40 Ford pickup
Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Congratulations on the car.

Send you a PM

Jesper :-)
Old 12-03-2009, 01:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Jesper, yes you can remove the pump from the top of the engine.. I believe you need to remove the headers to get at the air lines (my winter project).. also alot has been written about needing loctite so you don't lose the air injection plugs.
I don't think you need to remove that part of the exhaust in your second to last pic..but others may chime in..
Incorrect. The air lines can be removed without touching the headers. Also you do not need Loctite for the plugs.

Everything pictured in red can be safely removed, free up room and engine bay clutter.

Yasin
Old 12-03-2009, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just a note, there seems to be solid into to support that the air injection decreases turbo lag. It dose cost maybe 5hp on boost and it dose carry a bit of weight.

Not saying you should not remove it, just want you to know why you are doing so.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Guys

First, thanks for all the replies. I really can use your knowledgement.

[raeper930] yeah Brian is a good guy, in the exhaust world he's called GOD
[rsrfan] Good idea thanks, I have to get some pictures showing a perfect Y-junction tube.
[911st] Yes it's correct. I’m removing the air system for teh reason of the weight. Then I have more space in the engine compartment. My philosophy, if the stuff isn’t good for anything, then remove it.

I would be very happy if someone has pictures showing how you did regarding the Y-junction.

Again Thank you guys, what should I do with out you. I will bring on the Upgrade to RarlyL8 Thread no 2, when the muffler arrives to Denmark

Best regards
Jesper

Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Jesper,
Your custom muffler is in route to port in CA.
I have many pictures of the SSI Y-assembly that I can e-mail to you.
Air injection does reduce threshold but it would be optimal to remove or alter some of the controls and have it operate at specific times.
I do appreciate the support but God is a little strong, I'd settle for prophet, ha!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Jesper,
Your custom muffler is in route to port in CA.
I have many pictures of the SSI Y-assembly that I can e-mail to you.
Air injection does reduce threshold but it would be optimal to remove or alter some of the controls and have it operate at specific times.
I do appreciate the support but God is a little strong, I'd settle for prophet, ha!
HA!

Ok prophet, you may send me pictures of the Y-juncton thanks. You know, can I remove all the small hoses from the intake? (picture right under the RarlyL8)

see ya

Best regards
Jesper

Old 12-04-2009, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I didn't use locktite in the air plugs, and I had two fall out....and I had them cinched in pretty tight. I finally went to my indie at IPB Autosport who keeps a set of those plugs produced by Mercedes that have locktite already applied to the last 1/4 inch of the threaded plug....haven't had another one drop out.

You may encounter a difference of opinion here....but one of the plugs that fell out just HAD to be the one under the SSI heat exchanger....so it involved quite a bit of work to drop the exchanger and install the damn plug. Why risk one backing out. Locktite is cheap. Believe me it's embarrassing to have a really pristine car sitting at a stop light making a noise like a cheap lawnmower. Makes one look straight ahead and try to ignore the snickers.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
When you remove the airpump you'll find that you would need to remove the turbo oil scavenger pump in order to remove the airpump belt. So, I recommend to just cut the belt instead of messing with the turbo oil pump.

Are you having your car shipped from CA to Denmark? Have fun with your 930.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The air injector plugs I am sending you have wave washers included so no glue should be necessary.

Want to hear an embarrassing air injector plug story?
A few years ago I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the exhaust went loud. Very loud. I immediately recognized that awful sound as a cracked manifold. I was in a hurry and headed out of town the next day, did not want to mess with yanking the exhaust and wanted to test out the new Porsche shop in town. So I called up the shop, told them what (I thought) was wrong, dropped off the car the next morning on the way to the airport.
Got a call 2 days later from the mechanic who said some little bolt had fallen out of the head. Major "duh" moment. The mechanic didn't know where to get these bolts so I called the Mercedes dealership and he picked it up.
Got home the car was fixed and he hands me a bill ... for $300.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You paid $300 for a $2.00 part!! Don't feel bad....I thought the head had cracked....but luckily I had an indie who recognized the problem instantly and gave me a bag of six of those Mercedes plugs....God bless him....saved me a ton of money and anxiety.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes, had I stuck my head under the car for 15 seconds before dropping it off to the mechanic I would have save $300. Live and learn.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Brian: I can't believe you would not have figured it out for yourself....after all....look what you're producing....pure art and some great designs at a high level....I am so pleased with what you did for my car way back when before all this began....and now you've perfected it to a higher level. I thank you so much for your intuitive approach to problamatic issues.....my car has never run better....and the work you did on the exhaust system was right on the mark. I'm running at Stoich and flew thru smog checks. My honest and sincere thanks.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Hehe - yes Chuck I would have figured it out had I taken the time to stick my head under the car. Those air injector plugs had been in for maybe 5 years when that happened, I had forgotten about them. A blown exhaust gasket, cracked exhaust and blown out injector plug all sound the same. I have heard that sound a few times in my life on V8 cars with iron manifolds. It is a familiar tune. Add all that to being in a time crunch to leave town and you mess up.
I did say this was an embarrassing story aftrer all.

Last edited by RarlyL8; 12-05-2009 at 02:07 PM..
Old 12-05-2009, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
When you remove the airpump you'll find that you would need to remove the turbo oil scavenger pump in order to remove the airpump belt. So, I recommend to just cut the belt instead of messing with the turbo oil pump.

Are you having your car shipped from CA to Denmark? Have fun with your 930.
Mike, thanks for the information regarding cutting the belt, very important information.

I bought the car a year ago, by a nice guy in Pleasanton Ian Fitz-Simon. The car was shipped from Oakland to Aarhus, Denmark. The car belonged to a family member of Rob King, S car Go Racing in San Rafael. Rob did a nice rebuild of the engine, and enlarged it to 3,2 Litre. It's an awesome car, and drives just like a Widow maker.

315 bhp (no intercooler!!)
389 Nm

YouTube - JDAMM_930

Old 12-06-2009, 02:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Infidel

Hi Jesper, your car looks great! My brother lives in Grenaa, he has been contracting for Terma for the last 7 or 8 years out there. I go over and see him once or twice a year, play some golf and always spend Saturday night over in Aarhus, i love it over there!
One thing i've never been able to get my head around is the car tax, it's unbelievable! A $100k car for us will cost you $280k! Nice cars are a rare site in Denmark, your 930 must turn a lot of heads! Keep your eye out for a candy red Lancia Delta Integrale, give him a wave if you do
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 12-06-2009, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
Hi Jesper, your car looks great! My brother lives in Grenaa, he has been contracting for Terma for the last 7 or 8 years out there. I go over and see him once or twice a year, play some golf and always spend Saturday night over in Aarhus, i love it over there!
One thing i've never been able to get my head around is the car tax, it's unbelievable! A $100k car for us will cost you $280k! Nice cars are a rare site in Denmark, your 930 must turn a lot of heads! Keep your eye out for a candy red Lancia Delta Integrale, give him a wave if you do
Hi Jonathan, Grenaa huh? Actually the picture is taken in Grenaa, got a few Porsche mates there. Next time you visit your brother, then pm me, and you can come to my house for a cup of tea and a ginger cookie

Yeah the damn Danish tax It's very frustrating!! You have to pay approx. USD 50k for getting a 76 930 on the street! When you buy a car from the US, and the car is over 30 years old, you use to pay 5% tax in custom. Now the changed the rules, so you have to pay 37,5% tax in custom. Many Danes use to buy their classic cars from the US, that’s over now, they simply can’t afford it now. If you buy a fine early 930, say USD 40k, then shipping 2k, then harbor tax 1k, then 37,5% tax in custom of car+shipping+harbour tax = USD 16.125. Ok now you got the car and the total is now 43.000k + 16.125k = 59.125k!!!

Danish tax service:
Dear new 930 owner, du you want to drive your car on the road?

930 owner:
Yes please.

Danish tax service:
Ok, please pay 50k for vehicle registration fee.

930 owner:
WTF

Danish tax service:
Do it now, or you cant get your car on the road!

930 owner:
car 59.125 + 50.000 = USD 109.125

And thats NOT a bad joke!!!

Best regards
Jesper, who is broken, but ownes a very nice 930.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: