Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Digital fuel distributor

So the recent threads regarding digital WUR and electronic ignition control has me thinking about the last piece of the puzzle, our fuel heads.. Ok and I'm staring at a $500 bill to get mine rebuilt.
So that got me thinking, how would you build one from scratch?? Assuming we have modern technology what would it look like ? Would we still need a sensor plate ? With an encoder on it ? A stepper motor controlling a valve for fuel flow ?

I'm thinking that this should not be all that complicated or expensive..

Anybody interested in undertaking such a project ??
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 12-02-2009, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I say buy a Haltech and negate the use lol...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-03-2009, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
beancounter

Very funny...

Yep I think they already make a digital fuel distributor...its called EFI.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
So the recent threads regarding digital WUR and electronic ignition control has me thinking about the last piece of the puzzle, our fuel heads.. Ok and I'm staring at a $500 bill to get mine rebuilt.
So that got me thinking, how would you build one from scratch?? Assuming we have modern technology what would it look like ? Would we still need a sensor plate ? With an encoder on it ? A stepper motor controlling a valve for fuel flow ?

I'm thinking that this should not be all that complicated or expensive..

Anybody interested in undertaking such a project ??
Yeah, it's called EFI. But believe it or not, your concept has crossed my mind as a means to further tune CIS fuel distribution. Use a stepper motor to adjust the metering plate deflection in response to various inputs.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Yeah, it's called EFI. But believe it or not, your concept has crossed my mind as a means to further tune CIS fuel distribution. Use a stepper motor to adjust the metering plate deflection in response to various inputs.
Carry this on out:
You eliminate the metering plate (it doesn't like radical cams).
Mechanically position the distributor head control plunger with your stepper motor.
Motor is controlled by hot wire flowmeter based processor
.................or just use EFI.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just need a TPS & MAP.

The software for the D WUR could be adapted easily if going the steeper motor route. It would also adapt well to MFI gas or diesal for mappable tuning of the injection pump. Wide applications if they ever think about it.

I thought about this way to much some years ago to.

One other thought was to replace the fuel head with a battery of EF-Injectors plugged into the CIS injector lines and the existing fuel accumulator might be able to sooth the fuel delivery to work with the existing CIS injectors.

This would save a lot of plumbing and fabrication over a full EFI conversion.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well- if you have to keep mechanical injection- keep it mechanical. How about using a Kuglifischer ( I must have butcherd that...) pump that is timed off the cams like the old school race cars did? In this instance you keep the simplicity (or lack thereof) of the mechanical setup without efi. Realisticly, these pumps are very expensive if you can find them at all, but it does get rid of the metering plate and such. Now this would be the "Speed density" version of the current CIS (CIS= mass air metering..) and would allow you to run whatever cams/turbo/intake/etc. you wanted to run.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have wondered if one could pull the metering assembly and just mount a MFI pump on the pancake manifold.

Getting the pump to accommodate the turbo would not be un-doable. I believe one of the pump builders can add a boost-pot to the pump that with boost richens the pump. It works on the rack like the thermostat and altitude pot's do. As most turbo's run a mild cam A 2.2 T pump might be a good base.

The race MFI pumps i believe operate as a function of percentage of throttle opening and do not have a space cam to adjust by rpm. I believe they run pig rich at everything except WOT over a narrow peak rpm range. Last one I saw offered was around $15k.

Fun stuff. Me, I love CIS and getting it to work it's best. For less effort than we are talking about to increase the base compression, to get ideal AFR's, improved ignition settings, anti lag /compressor bypass valve , and boost sensing WUR's if set up right can make for a pretty responsive and decent running 930 that dose not leave much on the table.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The MFI is a technical marvel who's time has past. I keep remembering Mark Donahue's comments about how he worked with Porsche and Bosch engineers on the MFI to develop a drivable Turbo 917.

Back to the CIS fantasy, elimination of the metering disc opens up the most benefits. Back in the early 70s, a production car needing to meet emissions and having no digital electronics available the metering discs limitations were an acceptable compromise. Many components of the system are still perfectly acceptable, and compatable with serious power generation, this one never was.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I've thought about this, but for the time and money...nahh $1500.00 and I can megasquirt my car.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 12-04-2009, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: