Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Used turbo system - need your opinion

Hi all,

I am looking to get a used Turbo system, Protomotive for a 3.6. But that system came out of an engine that suffered catastrophic engine failure due to hydrolock /w oil and bending a rod and taking out the engine.

Question for eveyone is, could there be metal debris in the turbo system that can kill my engine if I install it? If you would use this turbo, what would you do to insure safe operation?

thanks,
anthony
Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

When you say "turbo system" what are you meaning? Just the turbo? Or, turbo, I/C, full exhaust system, engine management, etc?

I would think if any material made it to the turbo, then you would see signs of FOD. Might not be visible to the naked eye... might even be hairline cracks in the blades, etc. BUT, if the engine suffered catastrophic failure, what ever happened inside of the engine, the exhaust valve would have to be open, and then the foreign object had to have traveled to the turbine wheel.... highly unlikely.

I am not saying I would not do it, but if you put the turbo, I/C, etc on your engine, and there are foreign objects that cause damage to your engine, who is going to absorb the cost??
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It is a complete system with turbo, IC, exhaust header, oil lines, etc.

If I buy and put on the system and my engine blows up, I would have very little recourse. That is why I want to know what are the possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
When you say "turbo system" what are you meaning? Just the turbo? Or, turbo, I/C, full exhaust system, engine management, etc?

I would think if any material made it to the turbo, then you would see signs of FOD. Might not be visible to the naked eye... might even be hairline cracks in the blades, etc. BUT, if the engine suffered catastrophic failure, what ever happened inside of the engine, the exhaust valve would have to be open, and then the foreign object had to have traveled to the turbine wheel.... highly unlikely.

I am not saying I would not do it, but if you put the turbo, I/C, etc on your engine, and there are foreign objects that cause damage to your engine, who is going to absorb the cost??
Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Not likely, but it's not really worth taking the chance so I would plan to have the turbo rebuilt before installation.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hydro locking a cylinder and bending a rod doesn't put any debris into the oil or anywhere else at all... unless the motor was run with a really bent rod and the piston was cocked sideways and was scraping and scoring away at the cylinder for a while.
That cylinder would loose compression and start burning oil quickly though and most people would stop driving it at that point and figure out whats wrong.

The turbocharger, and all other associated parts would not be effected by just a bent rod.

edit: Just reread your post... you have to explain what catastrophic engine failure was. If it involved lots of little pieces of shiny hot metal in a pool of oil than there is a very good chance there's alot of little pieces of metal throughout the oil lines and in the turbo too. It all depends how long the motor was turning over and pumping oil after whatever happened.

The turbo itself can be rinsed out with parts cleaner, brake clean, and compressed air and most of any debris that could be in there will be rinsed out. Then re oil it good before installing, then install it and crank the starter motor for 20 -30 seconds to get oil into it from the engine's oil pump while leaving the sump tank off and watching for oil to come out the bottom of the turbo.
It's also a good move to put a medium size 30 micron inline oil filter in the turbo sump oil line after the turbo scavange pump and it will filter out anything else.
Thats a good idea anyway because it will filter out any possible coked oil particals too.

Or send it out to be rebuilt but that averages around $650, with most of that labor charges when done by the best turbo rebuilders.

Last edited by JFairman; 12-03-2009 at 09:08 AM..
Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just my guesses and only that.

On the two motors I broke the rod knotched the cylinder and pounded out the rod bearing to free up pices be be sucked up by the oil pump.

I would not be to worried. I might replace the turbo oil supply and return lines and rebuild or flush the turbos and such. If there is anything really small that gets by it will drain into the sump and get pumped throught the oil filter before being returned to the oil tank.

It would not scare me to much with a good cleaning.

I could be wrong.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

May be you're looking into saving some $'s buying a used system...

How much would it cost you to rebuild your engine due to... that came from the "used system that came from a catastrophic failure"?

Do the math.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
R.I.P.

what about cleaning and inspecting the parts before bolting them on your motor?

besides, you should ALWAYS inspect New and Used parts going onto or into your motor before you break out the wrenches. I've seen brand new headers with welding debris in them..... what does the PO's engine failure have to do with what you put on your car?.... And unless you are friends with the guy and rode in the car just minutes before he pulled it off and sold it to you - get it checked out!

We flushed and reflushed the Carrera intake I bought off ebay and that didn't come from a blown up motor
Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
R.I.P.

an ounce of prevention
Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

My suggestion: Buy the stuff if it's a good deal - clean, flush, and inspect the holy crap out of it. And if you're still too paranoid to bolt it on to your car, then sell me the turbo at a salvage price and I'll take the risk for you!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I talked to the owner of the system about the failure. Apparently, the oil breather got clogged up and pressurized the crankcase. This blew out the RMS seal and forced oil into the intake where it make its way to the cylinder and hydro locked it. This bent the rod and put a hole in the crank case.

Other than this failure, the turbo system is brand new and has less than 2K miles on it.

How would you go about flushing the turbo? Run/force oil through it? Intake end or drain end? Can you even force it through the drain end to back flush the turbo?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rinse mineral spirits or parts cleaner through the top and bottom oil line fittings on the bearing housing in both directions and blow compressed air through them and repeat. It will flow right through.

Just don't soak the compressor side in mineral spirits or gasoline because the large silicone o ring that in the groove around the backplate will swell up and probably be ruined.

Other than that the entire turbocharger is made of metal and solvent won't hurt anything, and brake clean won't swell silicone orings either.

If you want to clean out the aluminum compressor housing and compressor wheel remove the 10mm bolts and bracket washers that hold it on and carefully lift it straight off without touching the edges of the compressor wheel, then remove the big red silicone oring in the groove around the backplate.
Now you can soak and rinse it in parts cleaner as long as you want without hurting anything.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: