Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by palle7688 View Post
Anybody noticed the exhaust? Looks like SSI's to me. Aren't those restrictive with those big HP numbers?
Look at this engine from a different perspective. If it were cut in half and you had an engine of only 1.9L making 275HP on pump gas would you comment these pipes are too small and restrictive and what of the Large T4/3 turbo ?

This is a good example of the potential of twin turbos. Everyone accepts Chris really knows his stuff. As a premium engine builder he can not afford to be limited by a "bolt on" power generation mentality.

The better question is why go to extreme expense chasing big HP and keep the single turbo configuration? Is the debate of CIS vs EFI really relevant if you keep the single turbo configuration?

The obvious bottleneck to reliable high HP power generation - in a streetable motor - is the single turbocharger. Porsche proved this to themselves 25 years ago and their data has been available for all to see since then. Bravo to Chris for observing.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Sweet car/Nice build...Air cooled-less parts that can go wrong..

Reminds me of Eddie Bellos' car....

I would need the raise the suspension in a N.Y. minute..
Old 12-11-2009, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The SSI system is not restrictive. That piece of bad information has been spread by dealers of cheap short tube T304 headers. I took a trip out to CA to meet with John/SSI about this system before developing the Y-assembly with M&K and selling them complete. He had pictures and dyno data of a similar twin turbo setup making 600HP. We went through the physics and how the equal length primaries helped off-boost torque as well as top end flow/HP. I used those same principals and applied them to include the secondaries when designing my own headers.
Thank you Brian. Yes, Porsche had unequal length headers in their learning years however they were abandoned long ago.

Go to any historical turbo engine. Investigate F1 in the early to mid-80s you will see equal length primaries of significant length, seriously designed collector feeding larger than primary secondaries.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I'm not too familiar with turbocharged engines.
I know the SSI are becoming the bottleneck om a hot 3.2, so I was just figuring a 3.8 with more than twice the power....................
A couple of other questions;
Why not use the original motronic?
Is the 993 C4 gearbox strong enough? Why not use 993TT or GT2 gearbox? Price?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
I want that engine!! Nothing else is to my esthetic liking but I'd sure love the juice.
My 930 is almost Euro height and the RUF spoiler still scrapes deep driveways & sometimes under full boost the rear tires will rub. I don't want her any stiffer though. Don't know how they get away with it slammed like that.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Well, it's probably still for sale as at 50.099,00, reserve price was not met.

Anyone want to do PPI for me?? And take it for a spin??
Just joking.

I love that car. It's just too expensive to bring to Europe.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
I don't much like the wheels or the ride height, very simple fix for an otherwise very impressive piece of kit! Huge power, i wonder how much of that power it hangs onto once under sustained load, hard track work or long high speed runs? Either way 650bhp for short bursts must be a hell of a ride!!
Ditto on the wheels- they are great, but they somehow dont do justice for this particular car. Being a Turbokraft car- you can be sure that Chris Carol made it pretty damned bullet proof. Chris doesn't build a motor for quick bursts- he builds them right. I'm willing to say he is up there with the best of them. Hell, he always helped me out and Ive never given him a dime!
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-13-2009, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

The motor has decent internals, and it looks like Chris hit the goal with everything he has in there for reliability and streetability. Its def. not a race motor, but one that will last you for quite some time.

I'd like to see compression slightly higher to yield more power via less boost but that's not always a good thing - just a personal preference.

Concerning the headers, even the last stages of 935's did not have equal length headers but as we all know these race motors were running at the high 7's and mid 8k RPMs so they weren't overly concerned with off boost torque. Those SSI's like Brian is saying though are great for the application and while its going to be quieter than most of us would like, its a good sleeper.

Kudos to Chris for one hell of a build - and there is going to be one lucky guy who gets her without having to plan the damn project!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
The motor has decent internals, and it looks like Chris hit the goal with everything he has in there for reliability and streetability. Its def. not a race motor, but one that will last you for quite some time
Reaper930: What do you mean by it's not a race motor?
Would like to see it max power at higher rpm?

Anybody knows ( I guess I should be asking Turbokraft) what is done to a remanufactured crankshaft, connecting rods and rocker arms?

Why is it not fire ringed and with carillo rods?

Again, is the 993 C4 gearbox strong enough?

Why not use Motronic/Bosch?

I not saying it's wrong what's done, just trying to understand.
I'm seriously considering buying or building car car like this.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

The 993 box will be fine if there is some sort of control on traction/boost. For example, if the motors brain will allow it to rev to oblivion while spinning the tires, then it won't last long as its not as strong as the 930 box, my motor broke 2 993tt gear boxes on the dyno when they were building it.

I say its not a race motor simply due to the fact that it looks like he left a few ares on the table as far as not going with super light rods & pistons, not aggressive on the heads, cams are actually streetable for a nice broad power band not so peaky etc. and yes a full race turbo motor will make most of its power in the upper band at high RPM.

Its a great streetable motor IMHO.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: