Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to the_webbster
any experience with cold air intake

Anyone have any experience with aftermarket cold air intakes? I'm looking at a used unit from a fellow pelican for my 79 930 which has a Kokeln IC, 7200 and B&B.

it's normal street use, I mostly like the way they look, clean up the engine room and create space.

Eisblau 1979 930

Silver '08 Honda Ridgeline
Old 12-05-2009, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Lots of talk about them. They don't seem to add any power, but do clean up the engine bay. Do a search and you will find lots of alternatives that cost less.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This is the same one i run on my car,,,i does give you a little more access to areas round about the airbox and does clean up the engine bay a bit...I have manufactured a heat sheild around the bottom of mine also and a cold air intake which can only help...
It will allow more air in but its keeping the air that goes in the colder the better thats advised
"92" 964 turbo,Modified and recently rebuilt using all ARP hardware..
Purpose built fuel controller set up to acheive perfect fuel curve on CIS inj.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
thanks guys. I can get a used one for 200 or 250, can't remember. sounds like the result will be exactly as I expected. I think I read somewhere about noise, does the stock box muffle noise coming back from the engine?

I'm a bit of a newb and haven't even got my car yet. it's getting ready for a boat ride, in the US.

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 12-05-2009, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Not really much of a noise difference between 2 off them
"92" 964 turbo,Modified and recently rebuilt using all ARP hardware..
Purpose built fuel controller set up to acheive perfect fuel curve on CIS inj.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I have that same unit on my car. I bought it used, in great condition for $125.00.
I notice zero HP increase, zero noise increase, does cleans up engine bay, but requires you to add a small breather/filter to the turbo oil collection reservoir vent line, since there is no provision for it on the unit.
No big deal, they are $5 at any auto parts store.
Washing & oiling the re-usable filter is much nicer than the $28 bucks for a stock filter replacement.
Mark

Last edited by full quack; 12-05-2009 at 07:00 PM..
Old 12-05-2009, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Webbster,

Defiantly do a search here. There are many suggested alternatives that work just as well for under $50.00, just takes a little work on your part. Easy project
to do and you may enjoy your accomplishment.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
thanks for the great input guys, as always!

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 12-05-2009, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

how about this?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
how about this?

please where can to buy this filter ????
Old 12-05-2009, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

PM with details sent.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Miguel-would you share your PM details??
Old 12-06-2009, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

MEMBER # 930

Jeff it really is a slippery slope ! Take the chair get some seat time you really will love the car as is == for a while lol All the best
Old 12-06-2009, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger's 2937 View Post
Miguel-would you share your PM details??
It's ok for the OP if you want to post some general or more specific info on Cold Air Intake and air filters. I'm interested.

Thanks for the warning, Wayne, but I'm already quite a ways down that slope and a few hundred dollars more won't change anything

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

This is what I did, a K&N filter part number is E-3270. Could not find the part number of the filter holder; but, you need a holder to perfectly fit that filter OD.

The dimensions of the filter are 160mm OD, 135mm ID and 80mm tall.

From the filter holder all you need is the top half to hold it down, the filter will seat right on the car air intake hole/throttle body (where the OEM goes) – by the plunger. You’ll need to drill two hole on the top cover to hold down the filter using the two OEM bolts. If you decide to manifold all the vents; then you’ll have to drill a hole for that connection close to the center of the holder - I did it with a 1" rubber hose and some fittings, it can be seen on the picture.

BE CAREFUL with the mix retractable adjustment needle/bolt located on the passenger side of the intake hole/throttle body. It is very flimsy and you don’t want to break it. You will have to notch the filter outer skin a bit to accommodate the needle w/o bending it.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks Miguel!!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

yeahhh ! thanks Miguel , i have to buy the filter
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
Here is the answer I got from the shop where my car is:

No performance advantage, and the plastic will warp when heated and leak dirt in where it shouldn't.

looks like I'm going to stay stock.

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hi Webbster,
I am getting a lil overboard with a cold air intake project. (OCD)
It is still ongoing and as yet unfinished. We selected a large K&N filter and have moved the filter to a custom enclosed airbox made by enclosing the rear seats with a hatched, full-width top and 10" front wall.
We are feeding this air box with fresh forced air from a 12" x 4" front bumper air scoop that directs air via two 3" hoses to the heater tubes in the rockers to the bottom of the seats. Additionally, two window 3"vents from the rear qtr windows will naca duct air to the box. Also, twin diverter valves feed the box.
Box will feed the turbo compressor with a continuous 4'' duct through the firewall. We are looking for a slite pressure increase over ambient at the face of the compressor as well as temperature reduction. I will be able to measure box pressure to evaluate results.
Garrett turbo tutorials mention that filters and full load conditions often result is less than ambient at compressor intake. This of course effects the pressure ratio math. Avoiding engine compartment heat at the intake helps the math as well. Drane
Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: