Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Kokeln IC Install

After searching high and low, checking with every source known to man I was able to locate a Kokeln IC kit through FVD Brombacher in Florida. After waiting two weeks for the unit to arive from Germany I have dove head first into the install. All went well until the fitment part of the project. I am having issues getting the unit to seat properly. This is where I am wondering if anyone has had the same problem. I have B&B headers with the stock turbo. I am going to replace the turbo this winter I just came across the IC so jumped into that first. I plan on intalling the K27 7200 which I know requires an adaptor sleeve to connect to the vertical tube to the IC. The stock turbo accepts the vertical tube via the solid connection which is what is raising hell with me. I need the left side to drop a considerable amount (3/4" or so) and the machined surfaces of the IC and pipe even with the correct gaskets are less than desirable at this point. I am located in MA so my days are numbered I think we are getting snow tonight so she will probably be heading in for the long winters nap I will have plenty of time to get this right for the spring!
Old 12-05-2009, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

BSKI,

Did you get the installation instructions with the innercooler? Mine went together quite easily. I would suggest loosening the cooler hold down bolts enough to work with it and then try rotating your up pipe to get the best positioning. Look around the bottom of the cooler and see if there is something it might be resting on that is fouling you up. Try to reposition things before you tighten it down. I may have instruction file someplace if you don't have them.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
I wish you would have posted here that you were looking for the install kit (either that or I wish I had seen the post). I have all the genuine Porsche part numbers for the kit so that you could order from any dealer or parts supply (minus a hose or two).

I have a 76 with no intercooler, so forgive my lack of direct experience, but I was told that one of the mounting components (I believe it's a aluminum sleeve that supports one end of the IC and a long bolt goes trhough it for the mount) is purposely long and in some cases may require machining to shorten to get a good fit.

Let me know if you need any of the part numbers I'll have to dig out, but I helped another member from over seas piece together the kit.

Good luck!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
No problem as far as the directions go. Your cars profile shows the K28 does that connect to the vertical tube with a sleve or is it a solid connection. I believe that is where my problem lies. With the combination of the B&B headers and the stock turbo I am wondering if that is what has my elevation too high. I went to set the IC to get a dimension to cut the spacer sleves and found the left side to be high. As you said I tried rotating the vetical pipe to get things to drop but when you do that you loose the plane that the flanges are on due to the fact of the offset in the pipe. I almost need the left side to drop straight down with everything on the correct planes. As it sits with the left side high after removing the plastic shrowd that seals the stock IC the new IC hits the screen.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
SAIGON 68

Garage
Pictures would be a plus in replies. When i fix my fuel leak, i will return my 930 to my painter so he can do it all over again. Either that or go to court. Then i will have b6 full bay issues.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I found mine to be straight forward install years ago. I did go back and replace the original studs with longer threaded rods, the rubber washers and spacers later on.

Did you follow this pictorial? Kokeln intercooler

Pix as mentioned would help.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 12-05-2009 at 02:58 PM..
Old 12-05-2009, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
One thing that just occured to me is that there was no issue with the stock IC I just removed in relation to the header/stock turbo issue I was thinking. I just set everything except for the dam tube and it fits great as far as all other aspects. I am going to pull it and retry tomorrow. As you said it is pretty straight foward and it went that way until this point. Unfortunately it is the most important point. Thanks for the link, I did have that as a guide I found that about six months ago when I first started researching the Kokeln IC. The directions from Kokeln actually had a copy included. Good reference. Keep any ideas coming. Hopefully the problem doesn't lie with the IC welded connection. You never know. Could be me we'll see.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

BSKI,

I don't mean to sound stupid here but if your sitting that high; did you remove the old recirculation assy. before try to install the other cooler?

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

So the problem is the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler is causing the intercooler to sit up to high. Where is it showing up? At the bracket located near the coil located on the fan housing?

Did you cut the aluminum spacer tubes as needed? Try fitting the intercooler without them and see what happens. Rotate the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler to make sure you have it oriented right. Try it without the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. Doing these things might help you find some kind of interference somewhere else and keeping it from sitting down all the way.

After all that, I'm guessing it's because of the B&B exhaust must sit a little higher. The solutions would be to cut down the top of the turbo outlet pipe the needed amount, shorten the pipe to the turbo, mod the inlet to the intercooler, a combination of all three or make your own pipe from the turbo to the intercooler.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
The height problem does show up at the mounting bracket right above the fan. That is why I am leaning heavily on the fact that the B&B exhaust and stock turbo may be the issue. I don't believe I have the option of shortening anything with what I have at this point as the Vertical tube slides into the IC and over the turbo for the hard connections. Barring cutting and rewelding the IC connection (not happening here). That is where I figure get the k27 7200 and make the adjustment on the neck coming out of that due to the fact that it uses a sleve to connect to the tube to IC. As far as an immediate fix not wanting to wait for the new turbo someone mentioned making my own pipe. Has anyone gone that route can I get a rubber sleve/hose and just clamp it from point to point. Will the turbo temp be an issue or hose diameter? I would definately not leave it as permanent just a quick fix to test my upgrade. I am looking forward to the improvement in the C2 BOV assy.

As a reference does the top of the Kokeln IC once installed come within a 1/4 to 1/2" of the deck screen once at its final resting spot? I set it without the Tube and I am tight to the air box (modified stock box) the underside of the deck 1/4 -1/2" the wiper motor and the rear of the deck lid. All clear it looks great I just have that final connection point issue.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Reading this post it seems you may have the same problem I had with installing a new B&B intercooler and GSF headers and k27S turbo on my 79 930. Turns out I think the k27s turbo compressor outlet sits 0.5-.75 inch higher than the k26 with stock exhaust. I wound up removing 0.5 inch of height from the outlet of the compressor housing before slipping on the aluminum adaptor piece that was required to mate it to the OEM intercooler up pipe. This lowered the intercooler enuff so that the deck lid closed and I still had a good connection at the other side of the intercooler outlet into the throttle body. The intercooler should sit as level as possible when correctly installed, otherwise you have the intercooler connections at extreme angles to the throttle body/blow off valve housing and the orings will not seal properly.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 12-06-2009, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the input. After re-addressing everything common sense has determined that it is time for the new turbo. There is no way the IC is going in without cutting or making a makeshift tube with the stock turbo in place. I must say the IC is in and it is in tight it is amazing the clearances between the top of the fan shrowd, the wiper motor, the air cleaner and the deck both while closing and closed. Kokeln definately used every last inch available atleast in that half of the bay. I attached a couple of pics.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Here is a solution for difficult installations of aftermarket headers/turbos/intercoolers that don't quite fit as they should.
The stock up-pipe has a unique shape that needs to be retained so you hack off the bottom and use a length of hose attached to the K27 neck that has no machined section for O-rings.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

""Kokeln definitely used every last inch available at least in that half of the bay''

Yea they are very tight Once in you will be impressed it's a quality investment in the car. Takes some practice to get it in and out a few times then it's easy.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: