Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Well said. Besides the plastic problems just wait for the new stuff and computers to get electronic-itis. He will have lots to do.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89turbocabmike View Post
Just wait until all these "new cars made of plastic are 20-35 yrs old like the 930!
My buddies 1997 tahoe has plastic parts in the cooling system...he's replaced radiator, water pumps and all sorts of other coolant related parts due to the plastic breaking down....

I like mine AIR COOLED!!!!!

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 12-10-2009, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead View Post
My buddies 1997 tahoe has plastic parts in the cooling system...he's replaced radiator, water pumps and all sorts of other coolant related parts due to the plastic breaking down....

I like mine AIR COOLED!!!!!
funny you mention that. The other day while tooling down the road in my 930 I got this strong wiff of burning coolant, and since my turbocharged mustang liked to eat headgaskets for lunch it's a smell i'm all to familiar with. I had a panik attack for a split second then said to my self "ha- it aint coming from my ride"
Old 12-10-2009, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

As much fun it was to build my heavily modded 930 and even more fun to drive it, It kept up or beat pretty much anything on the road....I just sold it and took an absolute ass kicking on the mod work that I did. If you followed the thread at all I basically sold the engine and the lucky new owner got the rest of the car for free.
But I don't really care, I was well aware that by 1) buying a depreciating asset and then throwing more $$$ into it than the original purchase price I wasn't going to recoup any money.
2) I had lots of fun building it driving it and talking about it so to me it was very worth the time and money. Cars are a passion and if it is something that you want to do then F@#& what others think and do it...my next car will be a GT3, some have scoffed at the idea of that but I am not buying a car to make them happy.....
Old 12-10-2009, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
I am a mechanic myself and love cars.....well at least most of them, but I have a dozen other techs here and not one of them care about performance or exotic cars. They do it as a job and thats all. Maybe the mechanic is just tired of being a mechanic and needs a desk job now!!

Chris
Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sprbxr
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted 89 View Post
Maybe the mechanic is just tired of being a mechanic and needs a desk job now!!

Chris
That is what happened to me. At least I figured out when i was young enough to do something about it.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Slight threadjack: if a widow offered you $7K for her late husband's 930, would you take it? Or would you feel like you were screwing (figuratively) the widow a bit by giving her so much less than fair market value? Would you let her know the car is likely worth quite a bit more and offer her something more "fair?" Would it depend on said widow's financial situation? Or am I just crazy?
Obviously neither one of us know the whole story but I would bet she was offered $7k and she was not trying to sell it for $7k.

If she was selling it for $7k I would snatch it up.....and feel a bit guilty...but that would wear off......at 1.2 bar.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Slight threadjack: if a widow offered you $7K for her late husband's 930, would you take it? Or would you feel like you were screwing (figuratively) the widow a bit by giving her so much less than fair market value? Would you let her know the car is likely worth quite a bit more and offer her something more "fair?" Would it depend on said widow's financial situation? Or am I just crazy?
I have to agree with Justin- its fair game. One has to remember- the widow likely doesnt ever want to see that car again (friend died few years back and his wife off loaded his M5 as quick as possible not to see it again) and you are performing a service of sorts by getting it away from her for whatever price. If you offer the other service, then your a little mean
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprbxr View Post
If she was selling it for $7k I would snatch it up.....and feel a bit guilty...but that would wear off......at 1.2 bar.

Ha! That's funny...and true.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
Pretty much says it all about said 'Respected' PCA d-bag. BTW, from what i've seen, to earn respect in the PCA, you never modify your car, never be late at the weekend meeting at the local coffee shop and win at least one concourse event in 10 years.
Now Justin, remember its your weekend to bring the wine, nothing newer then 1999 of course. The Snobbingtons still haven't lived that one down when they brought that 2005 merlot and forgot the cheese. ughhh, the simpletons we must associate with.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 12-11-2009, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

The PCA Tech session on car wax is my favorite event.

No car wax necessary on my last track car:
Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Shadetree930;5063108]Now Now ... Not all of us PCA members drink whine ....

Yup, especially members of "Steinlifters" the local Porsche club.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-11-2009 at 02:05 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

looks like the guy on the right is thinking to himself "Damn, I could go for a beer right now..." ^^^^^^^^
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
I’m not standing up for this guy, I know one. I’ve been a turbo guy for 38 years now however the broader Porsche community, and its many air-cooled mechanics have never truly embraced the 930 Turbo.

First off it was an enigma to the product line. It’s commercial success even surprised the marketing department. To them the car made absolutely no sense for American buyers, but we loved them. Once they realized they had a luxo cruiser supercar product that appealed to the non-sporty rich set they loaded them up with options, added on wild profit margins and sold all they could without suppressing the price. This was the formula for the 930 turbo, like it or not.

To the Porsche faithful it was powerful but did it by cheating, “hell a turbo will give you any power you want, short of destruction” plus it was priced out of reach of the faithful. These are today's old guys who think nothing of spending $5K for period correct Recarro seats, $8K for wide Fuchs and way more money for a 300HP 2.8, twin plug, slide valve motor than any turbo build I’ve seen on this board.

Now enter your mechanic, to him thinking as a business man, it’s worth $7,000. Purchase the car, spend $12K rebuilding the engine. Tires, brakes, trans, A/C, fix all the non-functioning electrical, easy sell for ???? $20K, involved sell $25K. Where is his profit? And truthfully you will either spend this much after purchase or pay it going in.

930 turbos are beautiful, soulful, powerful and very capable cars in their own right. Time, and more capable products from Porsche have replaced them. This is all good because now they are becoming affordable for you younger guys who appreciate them for more than simply an investment. Many of you are bumping the power, stripping out all the luxo BS and making them the cars Porsche never sold but they had the potential to be. In this process you also disturb the "faithful".

Last edited by copbait73; 12-11-2009 at 07:36 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

"This all good because now they are becoming affordable for you younger guys who appreciate them for more than simply an investment. Many of you are bumping the power, stripping out all the luxo BS and making them the cars Porsche never sold but they had the potential to be. In this process you also disturb the "faithful".[/QUOTE]

.....Also us older guys get some too. Yeh, some of the " faithful " do get that way until they actually experience one built more along the lines as originally intended, THEN they get the picture of its potential, especially the early ones minus "all the luxo BS" , as they are more like the 911s / RS that PCA members are familiar with. And then just bump up the power a hundred plus or so, take them for a drive, the smile will come.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-11-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

And the above explains why I got motioned to pull over to a rest stop by a guy in an RSX after a few times of playing with him on the highway down to Tx from NC...

He built a 73 RS replica with a somewhat correct motor and just had to talk to me because he couldn't believe the aspect, the size of the tires, the brute acceleration I smoked him with...he admited he'd never been a turbo fan nor a fan of the slant nose until he saw mine, and also commented that most never know the sheer cost that go into these beasts. All he had to say after some undecipherable mumbling was, "now I get it."
Old 12-11-2009, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
Now Now ... Not all of us PCA members drink whine ....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahaha I love it man....buuuut I'd probably be booted from the event due to having a dead animal STILL baked onto the mesh in front of my oil cooler. Good thing I let my membership lapse I guess.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
"now I get it"...that's a great admission from a turbo nonbeliever/naivete'!

I was wondering whether I should join a pca at the time when I bought a 930. Decided no way...I don't want to be involved with "black tie" gathering. Don't mean to stereotype though.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

[QUOTE=

Now enter your mechanic, to him thinking as a business man, it’s worth $7,000. Purchase the car, spend $12K rebuilding the engine. Tires, brakes, trans, A/C, fix all the non-functioning electrical, easy sell for ???? $20K, involved sell $25K. Where is his profit? And truthfully you will either spend this much after purchase or pay it going in.

Ehh,???? all I can say is,,,,,you will never pay to much for a 930 if this guy is your buyer.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-11-2009 at 08:12 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I know of a number of 930 buyers that would pay twice that and more if just in need of a freshining up. Besides most will not need everything as described above so if you know of any cars that have not been run over by a train,or rusty, PM or call me anytime.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-12-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Old 12-12-2009, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: