Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New turbo owner?

Hey guys,

I am looking for a turbo right now and there is someone interested in my 88 non turbo car that wants to trade, so I might do it. I have never owned or driven a turbo but perhaps someone could tell me some of the "ins" and outs" of owning an 80's turbo 911 (specifically an 89 930). I am more interested in owning one for the looks, not necessarily the power. Both my car and the 930 that I am interested in are close in mileage, condition etc...
Any info/opinions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
KCTarga

Garage
I own a n/a pcar but was looking at a turbo as well. For me it came down to the fact that I don't do my own work. I would ask if you do your own wrenching or not. If not, the turbo maybe more maintenance $$$ for you. Also, wanting a 930 just for the looks might insult some of these turbo guys :-) I am sure they will chime in.

An even trade with a carrera for a 930 with similar miles and condition? - sounds fishy to me.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If the guy with the 89 turbo wants to trade even up for your 88 none turbo, I would take it and run. Other than that, if you are not interested in power, keep your 88 and enjoy it. Maybe even mod it. The turbo journey leads into phrases like, "slippery slope," and "the dark side." In any case, something is fishy with this trade if it is even up.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTarga3.2 View Post
I own a n/a pcar but was looking at a turbo as well. For me it came down to the fact that I don't do my own work. I would ask if you do your own wrenching or not. If not, the turbo maybe more maintenance $$$ for you. Also, wanting a 930 just for the looks might insult some of these turbo guys :-) I am sure they will chime in.

An even trade with a carrera for a 930 with similar miles and condition? - sounds fishy to me.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't do my own work at all, and would have to leave that to my local garage to do, who are competent and trustworthy. No offence meant to turbo owners...I think turbos are nicer looking than a n/a 911...what I meant was that the power of the turbo is second to me versus the looks of the fat rear end. If there were tons of turbo look Carrera's out there for sale, that is what I would get, but there aren't. There aren't a lot of Porsches where I live, so availability here is limited.

Also, it wouldn't be an even trade...it would be my car plus cash difference...but at least I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of waiting for it to sell. It would be like bringing the car to the dealer and driving away with a better car.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurls View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't do my own work at all, and would have to leave that to my local garage to do, who are competent and trustworthy. No offence meant to turbo owners...I think turbos are nicer looking than a n/a 911...what I meant was that the power of the turbo is second to me versus the looks of the fat rear end. If there were tons of turbo look Carrera's out there for sale, that is what I would get, but there aren't. There aren't a lot of Porsches where I live, so availability here is limited.

Also, it wouldn't be an even trade...it would be my car plus cash difference...but at least I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of waiting for it to sell. It would be like bringing the car to the dealer and driving away with a better car.
Well, it depends on the cash difference. Why does the guy want to get rid of the 89 turbo for an N/A car? You told your reason. Now let's here his. Surely the question came up. And if you farm out most everything with the turbo, make sure your pants have deep pockets.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
There is a guy here on sale section that have a 911SC turbo look for sale

1983 911 SC. "930 RUF replica"
Old 12-13-2009, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Threre are many widebody converted 911's to be had for $10K less than a 930.
I too like the look of the widebody and converted my SC. After adding the 930 engine I could never go back to normally aspirated. If you don't want to tempt fait stay away from the 930 and buy a 911 widebody.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
SAIGON 68

Garage
the last non turbo porsche i test drove was a new 356. i didn't like it. i wanted gobbs of chrome and the engine was in the wrong end. i trust the more experienced pelicans. the other posters pretty much said it all, although 930's are beautifull, the magic is in the engine.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

The motor is the pedigree, the locomotive that inspires you to feel like you're behind the wheel of the great 934...

Like me looks have everything to do with what I drive - so your heart is in the right place with the turbo - and as far as maint. costs, well rebuilds are a few $k more and the trannies are damn bullet proof. But keep in mind the mod bug will strike so just be prepared.

Post pics of his car, get a PPI done and let us know the $k difference in cash so we can help guide you through all of this. The 89 is one of the most desireable 930s out there due to the 5 speed and a few other things so if this is the path you want to go down you've come to the right place.

Keep us posted, look forward to helping you figure this one out - and yeah, power is more addictive than crack, coke, or strippers....so consider yourself warned.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Strippers, Gabe? Really? lol!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

we all like strippers...and I will say that once your addicted to the power, a good size coke habit and strippers seem relatively cheap by comparison.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 12-13-2009, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Pete, amen brother...

Geoff - haha i <3 boobies, just sayin'
Old 12-13-2009, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
that piture will never die!!!! i love it
Old 12-13-2009, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
The motor is the pedigree, the locomotive that inspires you to feel like you're behind the wheel of the great 934...

Like me looks have everything to do with what I drive - so your heart is in the right place with the turbo - and as far as maint. costs, well rebuilds are a few $k more and the trannies are damn bullet proof. But keep in mind the mod bug will strike so just be prepared.

Post pics of his car, get a PPI done and let us know the $k difference in cash so we can help guide you through all of this. The 89 is one of the most desireable 930s out there due to the 5 speed and a few other things so if this is the path you want to go down you've come to the right place.

Keep us posted, look forward to helping you figure this one out - and yeah, power is more addictive than crack, coke, or strippers....so consider yourself warned.

Ok, here is the dirt on the 89 930: It has 110,000km on it (both cars in question are in Canada), is forest green exterior with brown interior. I am not crazy about the colors of it, but it is a 5 speed turbo which is a plus...so I would be settling in the color department. The owner told me that it has been meticulously maintained. He said he doesn't want to see it go, but is selling it because he changes cars every 4-5 years, and said he doesn't need the speed of the turbo anymore. Just wants to get a car to use for the track in non turbo, and likes the fact that mine has sunroof delete.
I love everything about my car in the color department...just doesn't have the wider look that I CRAVE! I thought about converting my car to a turbo look by having the turbo fenders welded on, but thought that the value of the car would diminish greatly because then it would not be original anymore.

As far as the cash difference goes, he wants my car (which was appraised at $30,000CDN, but he will give me $25,000 for it) plus $15,000 cash...bringing his car to to a value of $40,000. He said his car is a steal for $40,000.

One last thing...since my car was imported, I did not get ANY documentation with it for maintenance history. I do know that the car is in excellent shape, but selling it to someone without maintenance history will be a tough go. His 89 930 apparently has ALL paperwork with it, so I would be gaining in that department.

Any opinions or help guys would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

Sounds like a deal to me , every 930 I've seen in Canada has been over 40K, except the one I bought for 33K, its an 87 so not as sought after as the 89. Green is cool, mines red and I'm not a red color fan. The Guy I bought mine from needed cash quick hence the price, he only had the car for a couple of months and was into it for about 42K , duties, shipping etc, had 60K miles on it and a fairly good service history, I'd say go for it after a PPI of course, let us know how it works out and what you think about it the first time the turbo kicks in.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
For a Canadian car with that much mileage, and it's an '89, yes, that's a steal for sure. When I looked for mine a few years ago, it took some time and there was nothing in Canada at the time. I wish I had the opportunity to purchase a 5 speed, but I was good with the deal I had with my '87.

Best of luck with your decision.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
To sum it up. Turbos are full of excitement. They are also full of BIG BUCK repairs and maintenance. Speeking from experience.

Tom
Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to djdawson2
Sounds like you're looking at the same car as I have... green/tan '89.

Here's my .02:

Mine was obviously very well cared for. Sadly, I've owned a lot of 80's CIS cars from Audi and VW, and all have been finicky... sometimes bad cold starting... sometimes bad hot starting... sometimes both... and many times unpredictable vapor-lock in hot weather.

My 930 has been the exception to the rule. It starts instantly and seems to run perfectly under all circumstances, including extreme altitude and very hot temperatures. Honestly, I was *very* hesitant to buy a 930 or 965 simply because they were CIS cars (I still own 2 CIS Audi urquattros, and have plenty of reasons to be afraid).

Since buying it, I've driven it on several very long trips (1000+ miles). It has always performed perfectly, even the A/C. This from a car that had nearly 100k miles on the clock when I bought it. I can honestly say that I've been very impressed. It even uses less oil than the manual tells us it will use.

The only weird thing it has ever done has been related to the fuel pumps. On occasion, they will fail to start. Several attempts cures this, but it has been an annoyance. It is related to the signal from the CIS telling the fuel pump relays that the engine is running, but I have not chased it down, as it would be easy to jump the relays if I ever needed to.

Having spent a fair amount of time in some NA 911s (and recently a 993), I can say that the real difference would be a "daily driver" factor. I can't really imagine using a 930 in this capacity, whereas an NA 911 would fit that duty just fine.

I think you can also expect to find some "deferred" maintenance. Despite mine being very well cared for, it still had some loose suspension bushings and things that needed attention. It also had a failed oil cooler fan, and at nearly $500 for the electric fan, I can see why it was not replaced.

Power... well, I wouldn't go into a 930 expecting to be impressed. For me, it was all about the visceral nature of driving the 930, and naturally the flat out sexy look of the car. Since buying the car, I've installed RarelyL8's exhaust, a B&B intercooler, a K27 7200 turbo, along with a 1 bar WG spring. Even with these things, the car isn't what I'd call "fast" by today's standards. However, the car is very rewarding to drive in a way that other cars just are not.

I just drove an NA 993 from Denver to San Fran. While it was a very fun car, it just wasn't the 930. But again, the 993 was a car that would be very easy to use on a daily basis... and has plenty of poop to be considered fun:

If you decide to try the 930, I doubt you would ever be unhappy, unless the car has been neglected. I'm a sucker for power, and I still love the 930. The only things I think that I would have HAD to do were Brian's muffler and replacing the headlights. The OE muffler kills the engine, and the headlights suck. These are must haves, IMO.

By the way... that green color sure seems to avoid scrutiny from the police, and that hasn't bothered me a bit.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

930's are sleepers, and that is what comes to mind when you get one of these cars. That's the addiction thus the money but who cares! Properly built, they define the word 'fast'.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoker View Post
930's are sleepers
I don't think theres anything about my car that says sleeper...I have tickets to back up my statement.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 12-14-2009, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: