Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Steering column sleeve

Hello everyone,
I seem to have a bit of the giggly wiggles in the steering column. Pelican offers a Quick fix sleeve for the repair. Have any of you who have experienced this problem ever used this for a fix.

Thanks
Tom
Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had the same problem. When I took out my tachometer, I found one of the sheer bolts loose. Those things are weird. You cannot tighten them. They have rounded heads. I replaced it with a regular hex bolt and now it is tight as a drum. Probably not the safest fix but I needed it done quickly as I did not like it loose.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF View Post
Hello everyone,
I seem to have a bit of the giggly wiggles in the steering column. Pelican offers a Quick fix sleeve for the repair. Have any of you who have experienced this problem ever used this for a fix.

Thanks
Tom
I've used the sleeve and so have many others. However, John Walker showed in another post what can happen if you don't use some lube on both sides of the sleeve. It will start to wear the steering column. I consider it a fix until you have an opportunity to pull the steering column. When you do pull the column it's a good idea to rebuild the steering rack at the same time.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks ZCoker, I'll pull the tach and check it out.

Mark, would you recommend a bearing grease?

Tom
Old 12-14-2009, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF View Post
Mark, would you recommend a bearing grease?

Tom
I personally would use a lithium based grease. BTW, the steering wheel "wobble" is very common. If you pull the wheel you'll see pieces of the old bearing seal.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Done it and works as advertised , good luck it should only take about 30 minutes and is probably the cheapest thing you will ever do to your car!!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Done it on few P-cars = no problem.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
actually read somewhere others used some bearing related product instead of the sleeve per JW's findings just fyi, just do a quick search and it will come up
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 12-15-2009, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I do not believe story on lubricating this sleeve. There must NOT be any sliding between shaft and sleeve or inner ring of bearing and sleeve. If bearing is jammed, then you must change bearing, not to lubricate these components what are not ment to be "sleeve bearings", you make things worse by doing so.

You may check:

DIY: How to repair steering column bushing?

964 C4 1992, 930 "RS3.0 looker", Carrera 3.0 1976
911 2.4E 1972 (to be 2.4S+ spec race car), 911 2.2T 1967
Old 12-15-2009, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs27carrera View Post
I do not believe story on lubricating this sleeve. There must NOT be any sliding between shaft and sleeve or inner ring of bearing and sleeve. If bearing is jammed, then you must change bearing, not to lubricate these components what are not ment to be "sleeve bearings", you make things worse by doing so.

You may check:

DIY: How to repair steering column bushing?
No??? John Walker is one the most knowledgeable and respected people on this board and he says otherwise : problems arising with metal steering bushing

--clutch-monkey
Old 12-15-2009, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoats View Post
actually read somewhere others used some bearing related product instead of the sleeve per JW's findings just fyi, just do a quick search and it will come up
I believe it was Mitch LeLand.

--clutch-monkey
Old 12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Fact is, steering column does have a bearing and no any bearing is allowed to slip between shaft and inner ring.

I trust some fundametals of these things more than a statement that sleeve need to be lubricated. Up to you to solve the issue. You may ask Porsche service if they lubricate this in 928

964 C4 1992, 930 "RS3.0 looker", Carrera 3.0 1976
911 2.4E 1972 (to be 2.4S+ spec race car), 911 2.2T 1967
Old 12-15-2009, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

RS27CARRERA you are correct, technically and philosophically.

Here is a picture of the bearing. It is designed so that the plastic stretches just a little when you push it on the steering shaft. It is enough to keep the inner race pressed onto the shaft. After years of frantic countersteering, the inner plastic wears out. You might even see a piece or two come loose. Then the wheel wobbles.

The plastic sleeve shims it tight again, and it is not supposed to turn or be greased. Don't make Ferry roll over in his grave doing that. The little rollers do the rotating, not the plastic sleeve.

Need to go to Australia some time and drive on that Mad Max road. Hopefully the Bronze won't be around!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Everyone,
Thanks so much for all the info and advice. I made the fix today with the new sleeve. Our local Porsche tech said (no lube) just tap it in place.

Thanks again
Tom
Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: