Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need advise on an IC swap

I currently have a CIS 3.6L 930 motor, twin plugs, ported & polished heads, group B cams, Carrera 3.2 intake, K-27 7006, equal length long tube/stepped headers, an Evolution recirclulating BOV, and a Garretson IC. I have a custom made full bay IC that I want to install, but my mechanic has been steering me away from having it done. I trust his judgement, he has a mechanical engineering background, and builds/repairs twin turbo airplane engines for a living. Also he has owned several 930's and been working on Porsches for many years on the side. I would like to know some of your opinions (pros/cons) on the swap. The only thing I could imagine on the negative side would be a little bit of lag. The turbo begins to spool @ +/- 2500, and on full boost @ around +/- 3200. I have added some pics of my set up, and the full bay IC I wish to install. Please let me know your opinions.
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Infidel

I would say fit it.

I've never heard of anyone with a 3.2 manifold and still on CIS, i've also never heard of anyone with 3.6ltrs and still on CIS! Tell us more about the engine, what compression ratio are you running, and at what boost level? What power are you making, and what have you done to get decent control of your fuel. Car looks great in yellow BTW
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 12-15-2009, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You do a good job of showing how much you trust your mechanic - though it appears you doubt his trust else he has not given you a reason for not using it. Has he given you a reason for not using it?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Keep the Garretson!! From what I can see the Garretson should flow more air and looks 10 times better.

Take a look at the airchannels on the "full-bay" IC they are tiny!

Great car!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
From what I remeber he just said that the Garretson was the most efficent, though he has not seen the other IC.

I bought the car 2.5 yrs ago, and the details I have given are the ones I know.
I don't know all the particulars about the compression ratio, I am currently running .8 bar, but would like to go to 1 bar, I was told by former owner its +/- 456 bhp. It has an old Haltech F3 ecu that needds to be tuned (can't find a com cable that plugs into that ecu), so the car runs very rich. I am about to update the ecu just get some tunability.

It's just that I've seen many high HP 930's that have a full bay IC, why wouldn't it be good for mine.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

In this case the Garretson IS more efficient.. Guaranteed!

The outer dimensions I would think are about the same. Garretson twice as thick, full-bay twice as wide.

BUT, the airchannels on the Garretson is at least double the size of the full-bay, that makes it much better..
Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the advise, that helped with my indecision.

If anyone else has something to add, please do.

And thanks for the compliments on the car.
Here's some pics lappin at Roebling Road, Georgia

Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I might know of a f3 cable to be had or at least borrowed to copy pm me if interested.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Infidel

If you have an ECU then you are not still running CIS, you have EFI.
I still think that bigger intercooler might be better, you can have larger bore inlet and outlets fabbed up if necessary, a bigger surface area for cooling will be a benifit IMO. I obviously have no idea how good the cores are though?
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 12-16-2009, 01:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send me a PM if you want to get rid of the Garreston.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I was told by someone that it was CIS, but maybe I was mistaken.

On the full bay IC the top pipe is 3" and the down pipe to the turbo is 2" if that helps with any input.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo nut View Post
I might know of a f3 cable to be had or at least borrowed to copy pm me if interested.
Turbo Nut, PM sent concerning the ECU cable.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Beautifull car!

By 3.6L CIS motor I think you are indicating either a 3.6L C2T engine or a 3.3L CIS 930 engine that has been enlarged to 3.6L, as apposed to a 3.6L EFI 964 based engine.
Either way the engine is now EFI.

I saw that intercooler for sale a bit ago and passed as it looks on the crude side. You own it so give it a try as it is reversible if it doesn't work well.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post

You own it so give it a try as it is reversible if it doesn't work well.
To install it would require some reworking of the piping going to my air cleaner, as it runs behind the garretson currently. and maybe some other adjustments.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Sick 930;5072465]I was told by someone that it was CIS, but maybe I was mistaken.

Man, you are going on a lot of "what you were told" with your car. I would be careful with it until you become more educated on what you have in your motor, especially if you track the thing.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Just to be clear, im talking about the airchannels in the core.. They are at least twice as big on the garretson.. The "full-bay will restrict airflow immencely

Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=zcoker;5073414]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick 930 View Post
I was told by someone that it was CIS, but maybe I was mistaken.

Man, you are going on a lot of "what you were told" with your car. I would be careful with it until you become more educated on what you have in your motor, especially if you track the thing.
ZCoker,
I've only had my own P-car for 2.5 yrs and I only have a fundamental mechanical experience level. I was told CIS by the owner of Prototech Ft. Lauderdale. I must have misunderstood him. Like RarelyL8 stated, Prototech was probably refering to it being a 3.3L CIS 930 motor enlarged to 3.6L, which is exactly what it is. I am becoming more educated as time goes on and mods get added, That is why I am on this forum. My mechanic came highly recommended by a friend in my car club, who owns a C-GT, GT-2, GT-3, GT-3 RS, and a 356 completely restored, and he has done work on all of them. Everything he has done to my car has made it run more efficient, stronger, and the workmanship is top notch. I just wanted to get some opinions of some of the expert Pelicans.

Zeb930,

Thanks for the educational photo explanation, now I understand what you were refering to.

Any other info/advice is greatly appreicated.
Thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

No advice. Just wanted to say beautiful car!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
No advice. Just wanted to say beautiful car!
Thanks, much appreciated. I feel very blessed and lucky to have a car from my dream garage.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Can you take more pictures of your engine? I'm trying to figure out the CIS/3.2 intake system.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: