Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certified User

Garage
3.6 into 930

I am currently rebuilding a spare 3.6L 964 engine (primarily to keep me away from the TV couch) and I was planning to find a car for it early next year.

I have started looking around (at mid 80s Carreras mostly) but it has dawned on me that maybe replacing my (just rebuilt!) 3.3T motor might be an option. I WANT a turbo body. I NEED a turbo body, there is no other shape! Besides, all that work I have done on brakes, suspension and other little upgrades here and there would have to be done all over again.

I am deviating from the norm a little with the 964 engine. It will have six 44mm throttle bodies from a Triumph Daytona 675 to replace that huge and ugly inlet manifold, 12 coil packs for ignition instead of two distributors and 100 feet of spark plug wire, Megasquirt, a nice hot cam from Dougherty, a bit of head work and some headers.
I know, itís not quite turbo power, but it should be enough to keep me smiling. And NO lag.
When the smile wears off, the next stage will be to add one or two turbos, or even a supercharger.

I am thinking aloud here, but comments or input are most welcome, especially from anyone who has gone this route already.
I have already fitted close ratio gears in my 930 box, so I could retain it, however another option is to shop for a 5 speed 964 box. (= more work with clutch hydraulics and TB tube interference ). Selling off my 3.3 and gbox are options to pay for some of this, I guess.

So, the main question is ... am I going to get banished from this forum if I replace my 3.3 turbo engine with a 3.6 N/A?

Teaser pic of work in progress Ö

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Drive it like u stole it.

Garage
what coil packs are those?
77 Euro 911 3.0 Wide Body - under construction
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rennsport/collections/72157618856489537/
Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Coil packs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesb930 View Post
what coil packs are those?
I haven't decided which ones I'll use yet, but it will be either Toyota Kluger (pictured) or Audi.
I'd prefer to use Audi, but they seem to have quality issues that I am still researching.
The only problem I face with the Toyota coils is getting enough info on them (and my son is a mechanic at a Toyota dealership!). I will need to make up some mounts to hold the Toyota coils in place (simple), however with a small bush fitted to the rocker covers, the Audi coils will be a firm push fit.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If there is no turbo then all you have is lag.

Kidding aside, that will be a quick revving fun engine.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Excellent!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
If there is no turbo then all you have is lag.
More seriously, your 930 must be tons of fun with a well rebuilt 3.3T. Besides, it will loose its value if you snug the 3.6l in. Build a nice NA car but keep your 930 as is (if you can afford of course)

I also like the immediate throttle response that you enjoy with ITB. In an ideal world, I would add a PMO carbed 3.2l or 3.0l to my stable.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Think you may be having heat exhaustion? Hey how about Brian What ever you do we will say it is a bit Australian, right. Ok. Guess you can perfect your turbo later, but you already mentioned SC. Anyways it is not like you can just clear all of your engine rebuilding work area and start the 3.3 refurb.

How about making some headers, going with low boost?

Regards,
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BReyes View Post
Think you may be having heat exhaustion? Hey how about Brian What ever you do we will say it is a bit Australian, right. Ok. Guess you can perfect your turbo later, but you already mentioned SC. Anyways it is not like you can just clear all of your engine rebuilding work area and start the 3.3 refurb.

How about making some headers, going with low boost?

Regards,
Bernard, don't worry, the sun hasn't fully fried my brain!
Keep in mind that my LHD car is worth significantly less than a RHD car in Aus.
While it is still a 930, it is a LHD drive 930 in a market where it is priced lower than a similar year Carrera, so it's all relative.
It's a bit of a no-brainer for me - what would I rather drive for similar money - a LHD turbo or a RHD Carrera? How many nano-seconds do you need to ponder that one!

Seeing that the car is already out-of-the-norm so to speak, I'm not too fussed about deviating further from the norm by implanting a N/A 3.6. Besides, my nice fresh 930 engine is worth good $$$.
Where I see this going in future is further development in the direction of forced induction, but before I go there, I want to get to try a few different things with the engine and get my head around Megasquirt.

For me, at least half the fun is in the design and building (and learning).
$h!t, I've damn near convinced myself to do it!!
Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: