Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
blownsix bolt on IC? thoughts on this one?

called kokeln, called andial. None available. Kokeln has none for the next 4-6 months. Andial has to build me one and said maybe in march 2010.
Found blownsix website and it has one to order on line. A bolt on one that retains A/C. Are these any good? All Im doing is replacing to 1 bar spring, K27 7006 turbo and rarly single outlet pipe with matching wastegate,.....

Blownsix Design
Old 12-21-2009, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Do a search on Blown6... there are some that have had no issues, and there are some that had all kinds of fitment issues...

Kokeln, Garretson, Andial and even B&B are the ones that I have heard will fit with little to no effort.
Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe
Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I have a B6 installed...it took some modification to the mounting tabs...the holes were off center and required me to have the holes welded shut and re-drilled. I had one fellow do it who didn't know what he was doing and kept blowing off the up pipe fitting. Took it to IPB here in Sacto' and they did it right. The intercooler is really quite nice and does a good job of cooling, but it was a bit of a hassle getting it to fit. I had to trim the plastic shroud, but found another in case I want to retro to stock. I slit a piece of black hose and ran it around the edge of the shroud to seal against the intercooler. It's worked well here in the Sacto' valley where summers are hot. I haven't tracked it so I cant' address how well it would work under heavy load for a long run....heat soak etc. I paid $1K for it then paid another couple $400 plus for refit so you may be better off getting one that's a drop in and run. Maybe B6 has addressed the fitment issues by now...but it was NOT a plug and play fitment as was advertised.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
thanks. Sucks cause I thought I could just get it and put it on.....
Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

same deal as lots of the bargain parts out there...you can get a deal but end up with more install problems. it is worth it if you are handy sometimes.

Bell intercooler is who you should chat with, they make them for about $1500 to your specs. But you need to provide the pattern usually for them to custom make it.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I just purchased a Kokeln from FVD Brombacher (real estate education airline tickets at us.com) in Deerfield Florida. I searched for three months with no luck and found them on the web. The IC was shipped over from Germany and at my house in 2 weeks. At the time they said they had two which I have one of. You may luck out and get the last. Cost 2G complete kit.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
sorry about the bum website above
Old 12-21-2009, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
same deal as lots of the bargain parts out there...you can get a deal but end up with more install problems. it is worth it if you are handy sometimes.

Bell intercooler is who you should chat with, they make them for about $1500 to your specs. But you need to provide the pattern usually for them to custom make it.
I could not agree more... Call Bell Intercoolers.. speak with Gerhart. I will bet that someone with a Kokeln I/C will need to supply you with a set of measurements. Give them to Gerhart. Two weeks later, it will show up at your doorstep.

I ordered a very thick, full bay I/C, and mine was a tad under $1400.00 shipped to my door. Excellent to deal with, and a very high quality finished item. Here are a coouple of pictures of Bell's quality. I know this I/C is not the right one for you, as its full bay, and made to be used with the 3.2L intake...but you will get the idea. The second picture is shown next to my old kokeln I/C...which has been gone for awhile now....

Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk

Last edited by turbobrat930; 12-21-2009 at 05:00 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Does Bell make a full bay IC for a CIS car? I would think by now, somebody has done it.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Does Bell make a full bay IC for a CIS car? I would think by now, somebody has done it.
I would think that they could just come up with a different end tank to use.... one that has a center discharge. I dont think it would be that hard....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 12-21-2009, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
turbobrat,
Did you had to add/weld mounting brackets on your Bell IC? I don't see it in your pic. Regardless, that IC is high quality for its price.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Call Bell IC - you need one of those - great cores, huge experience...they are THE name besides secan ($25k cores)...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
turbobrat,
Did you had to add/weld mounting brackets on your Bell IC? I don't see it in your pic. Regardless, that IC is high quality for its price.
Yes, I have to make the I/C mounts, weld them onto the I/C, and them bolt it onto the car. They are not that hard to build, and will look tons better that the mounts that come with the Kokeln...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I have BlownsixDesign 930 Full Width Race Application mounted in my RUF BTR and I've been very happy with it. Even if they don't sell it as "bolt on application", the fitment wasn't too difficult: My suggestion is, you would get this one fit just with right size rubber hoses and one support arm in the right side (you can make it easily from aluminum plate). When mounting just loosen the air intake bolts, mount the intercooler and then tighten the intake bolts, and there it is.
You can either stick with the existing dump valve or change to some more aggressive pop off application like Tial or something.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
if you dont mind my stupid question, what does the improved pop off valve from Tial do better than stock. Im in process of doing IC upgrade from B&B stock size and while Im there I could change that pop off if it helps me with anything better than stock. Car also getting K27 7006 and rarly exhaust and waste pipe, stock euro heat exchangers. This car was retrofitted in 84 to Us emissions specs so I dont know what other things are in there that could affect things. I dont know what lamnda thing is but I assume it has it since it has cat converter and sticker on engine bay saying it was made compliant to US emissions by some company
Old 12-26-2009, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Old 12-26-2009, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Although I posted that the half bay BlownSix intercooler was a bit of a hassle to install, I am informed by a number of the guys who bought the full bay version....that it was a much simpler install...and most of them seem to be very satisfied with the performance of that version.

I kept my AC which is why I went with the half bay model.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
overall I like my B&B half bay intercooler. A little trouble fitting it up in regards to the aluminum shrouding that seals to the wing, but good quality and only minor machining issues with the mounting bosses. Basically the tapped holes were off center of the cast bosses quite a bit, but nothing required rewelding or retapping.
I would like to see some data presented on pressure loss and thermal efficiencies of all the units out there.
Other than claims of 250% greater surface area over stock intercooler, there is not alot of hard data i have seen to compare one brand with another.
hope this helped you.
Fredmeister
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 12-28-2009, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Me like track days

Try the RUF unit. EASY install -
Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: