Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Advice on '86 purchase

Iíve been offered the option to purchase a 930 recently. Iím not 100% sure about the year but I believe itís an í86 due to the E.T. brake light on the tail, and black Porsche letters on rear reflector. I donít have the VIN yet but Iím fairly certain itís a RoW model. It has the amber signal lens, rear fog light, small bumperettes.

The price offered is fairly reasonable, about the same as a nice 3.2 Carrera. The motor was rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago. Not sure by who, I havenít looked at the receipts yet. Forgot to look at the odometer. Sport seats, leather, rear wiper, twin exhaust, stock 4-speed. There are a couple of cosmetic things I would attend to but overall very nice condition. The only detractor is the wheels Ė chromed Fuchs.

Iím really considering buying this car. Iíve driven a few Turbos, the first a í76, the last an í86. However, thereís a very real possibility I could get transferred to Naples, Italy in 12-13 months. But I won't know until a couple months prior to having to be there. If I do move, Iíll have to sell the Turbo and a couple of other cars in a short period of time.

Also, I know a 930 requires a lot of work if it does nothing but sit. Iím fairly good with a wrench as I have done all my own maintenance for the last 15 years (Carbs to CIS). If I buy it, I plan on driving it, a lot.

A few questions:
1. Average market price for a í86 930?
2. How is the market? Are 930ís moving?
3. If itís a RoW, do I need to check for DOT papers?
4. Anything special I need to look for?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

1. Average market price for a í86 930? 20K - 40K Depending on car
2. How is the market? Are 930ís moving? Not like they were couple years ago looks like a declining market, less Buyers

3. If itís a RoW, do I need to check for DOT papers? If its a Gray market car make sure you have your paper work straight this could also affect the value

4. Anything special I need to look for? Get a good PPI if it's in Seattle I see your PNW local Go to John Walker Or Gerber Motorsport for a PPI they are both top notch aircooled pros.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Fidalgo911S;5082275]I’ve been offered the option to purchase a 930 recently. I’m not 100% sure about the year but I believe it’s an ’86 due to the E.T.
There are a couple of cosmetic things I would attend to but overall very nice condition. The only detractor is the wheels – chromed Fuchs.

If you get it i would be interested in those detractive chromed Fuchs. They work in some situations. Seriously I will buy or trade for a different set to put on your car. PM me to finalize.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-21-2009 at 07:01 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi,

If you decline the purchase and the owner is still selling I would appreciate if you PM me or give my contact information to seller.

Timeturtle@hotmail.com
Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input gents.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: