Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Do I NEED a digital WUR?

been reading about this dwur thing. I have an 84 930. I am in the process of installing a single rarly8 exhaust and wastegate pipe. Im thinking Ill keep the heat exchangers since its a euro and they r supposed to be decent. Also in process of upgrading to K27 7006 turbo and B&B stock size intercooler with 1 bar spring too. Are these upgrades going to necessitate a dwur upgrade or will the current WUR settings be OK and make the car run as nice as it did before?

Also my car has a front oil cooler in the passenger front wheel well. Looks like a square radiator but no rock guard. I wanted to see if anyone has installed a cheaper(cheaper than the porsche oem stuff) cooling fan with thermostat to help with temps. Any help with parts and instructions on how to do it would be great.
Thanks for the input
Old 12-25-2009, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
other than these ugrades car is totally stock
Old 12-25-2009, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Hope you had a great holiday! I am Wii'ed out and taking a break. The kids are trying to kill me.

AFRs should always be verified when boost is increased or a significant increase in HP has occured. It's not a bad idea to check AFRs periodically just to verify the health of the WUR. Measering fuel pressure can only tell you so much.
Digital vs manually adjustable WUR depends on what you are comfortable with; if you like to fiddle mechnically or electronically. The end result is the same, the means are different. The level of precision you get out of each method is proportional to fiddle time.
Any cooling fan of appropriate size will work.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Brian! Hope you had good christmass as well. Do you think it would be a good idea to install an AFR gauge to know if things change as I go? I dont know how to read em but I suppose once I know the afrs are set well and I see what the gauge reads at that setting I would be able to notice differences in gauge readings from baseline. Do you recommend a specific gauge thats accurate and simple to understand for a newbie like me?
I suppose I should get the DWUR since Id be able to adjust if changes occur and I wouldnt have to remove the IC to access the manual WUR.....
What do you think?
CANT WAIT FOR ALL THESE THINGS TO COME TOGETHER, especially the K27-7006!!!!!!!
This is my xmass present TO ME!!!!!

Merry Xmass and happy to new year to all in this board. Would have never dared to get my dream car if I didnt have the security of knowing a great place to ask questions and get great answers...and is patient with stupid questions asked by newbs like me.
Thank you everyone!
Old 12-26-2009, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

A wide band O2 is a great idea on a CIS 930. Alternately a EGT. Especially if upgrading and or if planning any track days.

Alternately verifying AFR's on a dyno is often adequate as we tend to run CIS a little fat as compensation for it's inhearnt weaknesses.

For example, CIS dose not have much ability to compensate for changes in environmental conditions such as changes in air density caused by temp or altitude so one might have fair AFR's in the summer but then run lean in the cold.

If you still have stock cams and ports you should be ok as to fueling but you may be near the limit with a stock WUR settings to support your new levels of HP. Again you should check the upper RPM under boost for the potential for going lean however, you probably will not spend much time up there. Typically with the mods you are talking about one would set the CO richer than stock to about 3%.

The D-WUR alows one to fine tune the AFR's under different operating conditions. For example, if you set your CO at 3% with a stock WUR to have enough fuel up top and to improve off idle acceleration you would be a little rich on cruse. With the D-WUR you can dial in ideal AFR's on idle, curse, acceleration, and get up to about one point more fuel in the upper RPM's when making more HP. As noted, this takes fine tuning to run closer to ideals but with an add on wide band O2 is should not be difficult.

I have done the electronic modification of control pressures including dialing it in on a dyno and the street for a significant improvements but my next CIS 930 will be more old school, all mechanical, and with probably just an EGT.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

"Do I NEED a digital WUR?"
The short answer is no.. but if you have the money to do one, why not go for it.

I do feel you NEED a stone guard for the oil cooler sitting in front of your right front tire though... especially in Florida with all the loose stones on the roads and some peoples driveways that can get stuck in the tire tread and then fly off and hole the oil cooler core while you're trying out your new modifications on the open road.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: