Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
ABS not working

The ABS on my 1991 965 is not working. I heard that it might be one of the 4 sensors. Is there a way to identify which sensor is bad or if it is anything else other that the sensors?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

I dont have specific experience with them but you could probably find which one was bad by disconnecting one at a time and see which one makes no difference when disconnected.

How do you know your ABS isnt working? Which wheel locks?
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 12-27-2009, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Take a digital multi meter + turn it to AC voltage readout, get the car on a lift, un hook all of the sensors, hook the digital multi meter to the two prong plug for the abs sensor and spin the wheel that it reads. If you get a signal, chances are the sensor is good, if not- try a new sensor.
It could also be that you got some dirt in there or also a fuse may have popped.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-28-2009, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
John,
As far as I have notice both fronts are locking, probably all 4. The ABS light is on so I assumed the system will not work if one sensor is bad, not sure.

Kris,
Thanks for the advise, I will check the sensors and run the test as soon as I have time.
Thanks both for your help.......R
Old 12-28-2009, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganrj View Post
John,
As far as I have notice both fronts are locking, probably all 4. The ABS light is on so I assumed the system will not work if one sensor is bad, not sure.

Kris,
Thanks for the advise, I will check the sensors and run the test as soon as I have time.
Thanks both for your help.......R
Have the brakes been bled recently or brake fluid level dropped to a very low level at any time?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Have the brakes been bled recently or brake fluid level dropped to a very low level at any time?
Dave,
The answer is yes to both but the ABS light was on before that (??).
I did run the test Kris recommended. After testing all 4 sensors they all produce AC voltage when the wheels are turning. Something that might be an indication of a problem is a result after the way I tested the rear sensors. With the engine running and the rear wheels turning there is a voltage difference between right and left sides, in 1st gear 0.4 vs 0.6, in 5th gear 0.8 vs 1.1 V AC. I wonder if that can be an indication of a bad sensor (system can be confused by the voltage difference) or if it can be considered normal. If it is I will try to find out if the problem is related to the ABS relay.
Thanks to all ......R
Old 12-29-2009, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
.4-.8VAC? Should you be seeing voltage that low? I would have guessed 4.0-5.0VAC or 10-12VAC. I don't have a shop manual with me at the office, maybe others will chime in?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
.4-.8VAC? Should you be seeing voltage that low? I would have guessed 4.0-5.0VAC or 10-12VAC. I don't have a shop manual with me at the office, maybe others will chime in?
The low voltage is from disconnected sensors while the wheels were manually rotated, measured connecting the voltmeter to both sensor terminals. I guess it is the AC voltage (someone more electrically savvy can correct me) produced when the ABS dented wheel is rotated on the sensors magnetic field. If that is the case and the wheel speed was similar on both rear wheels I would have expect the voltage to be about the same but it was different so I am not sure if that is an indication of a faulty sensor. I guess thatís the test Kris recommended.
I will like to know others experience while testing the sensors that way.
Any other recommendation (or existing thread) on how to identify the faulty parts (sensors, control unit, relay etc.) on a 964 ABS before expending money replacing working parts is welcome.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Pardon my ignorance, I don't have ABS on my Porsche (too early). Would onboard diagnostics (OBD) help in giving you a clue what ABS device is giving the fault?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: