Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
Intermittent Ignition Problems

Hi all,

I posted a month or so ago with what I thought was a WUR problem (search: WUR Problems???) but it looks like I am not getting spark when the car won't start. I pulled the coil wire off the distributor cap and when I put it near a ground and cranked the engine I get no spark at all. The car will start up from cold, but as soon as it gets warm it konks out and that's all until it is cold again.

Where is the best place to start looking for problems?

I have been told to look at the overboost relay (although that seems like it would be more related to fuel) and the coil as these can be problematic. What about the Permatune box? How do I check these for function without being able to swap in vetted pieces from another car?

Thanks - Jon
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 12-28-2009, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
YouTube - Cut-out after ~3 minutes of running.avi

Ohh, here is the Youtube link to the car cutting out as I have previously described. This was after running for a short while, I was holding the throttle to keep it running and then it just died. Wouldn't start up after this for over 30 minutes (I gave up) and I couldn't get a spark from the coil wire.
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 12-28-2009, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

What is the condition of the green dizzy to CDI wire? Is it it brown and brittle?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-28-2009, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Also, don't pull the coil wire off while trying to start the car, it's not good for the CDI.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-28-2009, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyabear View Post
Hi all,

I have been told to look at the overboost relay (although that seems like it would be more related to fuel)...
Thanks - Jon
NOT....it has nothing to do with spark, only with running the pumps in conjunction with a buch of other problematic stuff. Look at the CDI, most likely.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
anyone know how to troubleshoot the CDI box and/or coil?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

try one that works.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: