Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 RUF questions...

Hi guys,

Ok...there's a car I'm interested in, but I want to check with my "experts" first.

Regarding a 1988 930, would these cars have the G-50 transmission? I know they are 4 speed, but that's all I know about them.
Has anyone ever installed a RUF short shift kit in their turbos? How much difference would that make? Would it be noticeable?
Has anyone ever installed a K-27 turbo charger in their 930's?
Would a claimed 360HP be unreasonable to attain in a 88 930?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
G50 in an 88 .... No
RUF shifter .... (No Knowledge)
K27 ... a nice upgrade ... Now did they upgrade the intercooler to go with the K27?
360HP ... is attainable but you are going to need more than a K27 to do it. Other upgrades not yet mentioned?
What is the tranny in an 88 930 then?
The RUF shifter is a "short shifter". That's all the ad says about it.
It has the K-27 upgrade, but doesn't mention anything else for...only "360hp". Makes me wonder what else they've done to the car to get that kind of HP out of it.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
A 930 tranmission specfic to the turbo drive train.
This is exactly what the ad says:
FOUR SPEED. “RUF” SHORT SHIFT KIT. 360-HORSEPOWER TURBO CHARGED MOTOR. UP-GRADED “K-27” TURBO CHARGER. EXTENDED LEATHER INTERIOR(INCLUDING: SEATS, DOOR PANELS, DASHBOARD, LOWER CONSOLE). “RUF” LEATHER SPORT STEERING WHEEL. SPORT SEATS, HEATED SEATS. PREMIUM STEREO, COMPACT DISC. FACTORY “WIDE-BODY” CAR
Old 12-28-2009, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
If you are looking for a 930 ...

here is a one ...

930 Every day driver - Completely fresh

Thanks, but too old for me. I have a 1988 3.2 and want to stay or go up in years of another car.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Me like track days

Post a link to the ad or this is somewhat of a waste -
Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ther are two "ruf" turbos for sale on ebay.. and its probably one of them.
One in AZ the other in Fla, both have been for advertised for sometime.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've read a lot of these ads lately and if its a real RUF car they come right out and say it. The cars with RUF parts are usually written like the quoted passage. Listing the parts not that it was build by...
Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyGarage View Post
I've read a lot of these ads lately and if its a real RUF car they come right out and say it. The cars with RUF parts are usually written like the quoted passage. Listing the parts not that it was build by...
A lot sellers "do come right out and say it" even when it's not a real Ruf car.

But then again, what is a real Ruf car. Very few were actually built by Ruf AG. We're talking 80's vintage cars here. In those days Ruf had two US Distributors, one in NJ, the other in IL.

If you wanted a "real Ruf" car..then on top of what it cost for one, you also had to pay to have it brought into compliance to get into this country as they they were ROW you know.

The two distributors both sold parts and/or conversions, and at some level of conversion, BTR or CTR I believe. They then flew a tech in from Ruf who did the conversion in that distributors shop..you can believe that wasn't cheap either.

If it's just got a set of wheels and some guages then it's probably parts that were bought over the counter. When you start to see this combined with the IC, exhaust, full finned cylinders etc.. then you're probably looking at something pretty unique whether the parts were bought over the counter or assembled by the distributor or AG.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I believe the car just has RUF wheels, and a RUF short shifter on it. Other than that, I think the car is a slightly modified 89 turbo.
I'll post more information on it when the owner is back on Monday.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Is this a USA car or a Canadian? Some of the US specs that are used on this site do not apply to Canadian cars.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hey guys,

Well, here is the link for the ad:
SEGAL Motorcar: PORSCHE
It's the 4th last car at the bottom of the screen (1988 black 930).
It is a Canadian car with 84,000km on it (52,500 miles). I think there's a reson none of this guys cars have their prices listed...guess what this guy is asking for this car???

$49,000! Am I nuts or does this seem like WAY too much?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

SEGAL Motorcar pricing is always higher than elsewhere in Canada. Cars in Canada sell higher compared to US also. This is a Canadian car so if you are in Canada, this will bring premium pricing. This is the benefit for living in the frozen land of the north. :-)
Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurls View Post
This is exactly what the ad says:
FOUR SPEED. “RUF” SHORT SHIFT KIT. 360-HORSEPOWER TURBO CHARGED MOTOR. UP-GRADED “K-27” TURBO CHARGER. EXTENDED LEATHER INTERIOR(INCLUDING: SEATS, DOOR PANELS, DASHBOARD, LOWER CONSOLE). “RUF” LEATHER SPORT STEERING WHEEL. SPORT SEATS, HEATED SEATS. PREMIUM STEREO, COMPACT DISC. FACTORY “WIDE-BODY” CAR
Sounds, then, like a Porsche 930 with a RUF Short-Shift kit, a RUF steering wheel, and a K27 turbocharger (i.e. not a RUF car).

Assuming you start from a Euro-spec, RoW (Rest-of-the-World), 300bhp 3.3 930, 360bhp is quite easily attainable.. Plucking numbers out of the air as a VERY rough guide :

Up the boost pressure from 0.8Bar to 1.0Bar: ~25HP
Bigger Intercooler: ~25HP (depending on the type)
Replace 3LDZ turbocharger with K27 (7006 or 7200 model) : ~15HP
Higher-lift camshafts: ~10HP
Exhaust System: ~10->40HP (depending on how 'racey'/loud you want to go)

...I'll probably now get people saying, "It's not 25BHP; it's 24!" But you get the picture.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: