Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
sudo apt-get purge 930

Son of a Bitc*!!!

I just learned about the backside method of valve adjustment. When I had the engine out to fix oil leaks and some other stuff I went ahead and adjusted the valves. I was using a .004 feeler per the manual but was unknowingly using the backside method. Now I see I should have set it using a .0025 go and .003 no go feeler. No wonder the car feels like it has no power. Fuch!

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-29-2009, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

P-I-S-S-E-D.....I would be! Damn Mark, what were you thinking? First time doing the valve adustments, or where there noxious fumes in the garage clouding your brain?

Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such a bee_i_tee_see_aich to do the valves without dropping the engine. I feel for you...
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

First time ever doing valves. That, combined with all the other things I was doing to the engine..... major oil leaks that needed fixing. Also did a turbo upgrade, carrera tensioners, clutch, and built a new wiring harness. The valves were a "hey, why don't I adjust the valves while I have it out" kind of thing. I "thought" I knew what I was doing. Doh! I got everything else right but couldn't get the valves right. After the engine was back in I just couldn't figure out why the car felt so damned slow. I thought maybe it just felt slow because it didn't have the whiplash effect the old 3LDZ gave me since I put a K27-7200 in it. Major suckage. I guess I learned a lesson.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 12-30-2009, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

If my math is correct, and who knows if it is, my gap is about 38% to big.

--clutch-monkey
Old 12-30-2009, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
I find it hard to believe that such a small amount of extra clearance would make a noticeable power difference. It will make a difference, but think about the physics involved here. The valve opening and closing times and lift are hardly affected by such a small amount of extra clearance.

I'd expect a little more noise maybe, bit I would be looking elsewhere if power loss is noticeable.
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mark, I feel for ya- I did the same thing myself one time...
Just pop the tins off the side of the motor and re-adjust it- take you only a few more hours.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: