Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
Hey Onboost I saw those foil stickers that I never shipped in my office the other day, i will get them out to you some time I promise, but since the car is not near completion I am in no rush.
Do-oh... cut at the knees again! No she is not yet on the road yet but coming soon as spring is in the air.. somewhere amidst all this snow and cold weather!

And alas, I've been anxiously awaiting those mysterious foil stickers. I'll need them to attain those additional hp gains.

Happy New year to ya!

Paul

RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I ve only ever seen one with all the credentials and that was in Batavia, New York in late 86 or early 87. It was red and had the RUF sticker in the window..I dont remember the price..

Bruce
Old 01-08-2010, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kycarguy 935 View Post
I use to visit Tweeks all the time and even worked at the Long Beach/Signal Hill location and Alois Ruf had a shop in the same complex building his mastepieces. One that comes to mind was a white 1979 with all the Ruf goodies that Allstar Tires of Paramount bought or had Ruf build for them. Others may remember that shop also.

I built my own slantnose with mostly factory parts after lusting over that one but not having an extra $100,000.00 or more at the time. This was around 1988.
Are you referring to Tore Johnson's "Club Carrera" shop by any chance?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Paulo,

These are for you my friend...

RGruppe #180
Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Hey Paul,

Many thanks for the pics of the Canadian Embassy in Washington. I haven't visited DC since it was opened but the address tells me it is situated on prime real estate. We are all very chuffed about hosting the Winter Olympics and are anxiously anticipating more great hockey amongst all the other winter sports competitions. Let's hope it is incident-free..., the RCMP say it will be the biggest security operation in their long history.

Lincoln, still have the Matter cage for sale. Longer CTR drives this year (I hope), possibly including Meadowbrook.

Cheers for now,

Paul
Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

2002 911 turbo ruf 550 conversion

Hello, my name is rick
i just bought a 2002 911 turbo with a ruf 550hp conversion.
Ive been trying to find out all i can about ruf cars and the conversions done to porsche cars....
This tread seemed to have some pretty informed people on it so i thought i might get more info on ruf cars.
Is there a ruf owners association?

Thanks for any and all info, ric
Old 01-24-2010, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

GRUMPYRS;

Check here.. Got a Ruf? Register here - Rennlist Discussion Forums
RGruppe #180

Last edited by onboost; 01-25-2010 at 03:31 AM..
Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I have never seen a post with so much correct Ruf information. Usually it is ..well, you know.

A couple of comments.

Paul, I can't tell you how jealous I was of you! I am over it now. For years I tried to figure out how I could legally own a CTR in California. The DOT/EPA issues resulve themselves if an American can wait until they are at least 25 years old. The individual states still have their requirements and in California that means impossibly restrictive emissions. I finally ran out of ideas after realizing that computer trickery and either a replacement engine or modding the CTR engine would probably enable it to pass emissions testing but RUIN it as a CTR.

There is/was a 1981 Porsche wide body "CTR" in Sweden that I considered buying a few years ago. It had every single part from a crashed Ruf CTR and was functionally a CTR but was legally a 1981 Porsche with a later CTR engine/trans and running gear. I finally passed on buying this car for the emissions issues I would still be faced with.

Club Carrera was indeed the place in Signal Hill. Tor was doing a lot of trickery. He even made up some bits that he was selling as genuine Ruf parts. The relationship ended and is best forgotten.

At least since the late 80s, any significant Ruf specific body part will have a small Ruf I.D. tag with an individualized part number. I have seen at least one Porsche with one of these tags applied to it's chassis implying that it is something it is not. If you are ever offered a Ruf body part it should have that distinctive Ruf I.D. tag on it. Always on the backside and usually tucked in a corner.

Thanks again for the great info. I concur that Mar Bonger's book is worthwhile to anyone enamored with these cars.

JR
Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Hi JR,

Thanks for your comments. I still have to get my CTR through Ontario emissions testing every two years. The cut-off is 1987 so my car being a 1989 model will have to be tested in perpetuity. I am considering having the Motronic upgraded to improve fuel management and emissions which may also increase power (just what this car needs!), all hopefully not changing the CTR character.
You are quite right about the small Ruf I.D. tags on their body panels. My spare rear bumper has one just as you describe.

Cheers for now from snow-covered and cold (-20C) Ottawa valley.

Paul
Old 01-31-2010, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Paul,
When my brother and I were endlessly running through scenarios involving a CTR and the late, great, state of California smog testing he suggested the idea of an A/B switch with a secondary Motronic or even Motec that might be tuned for emissions and/or power. I realize this can get awfully complex with that rat's nest of wiring but it might make for a nice solution.

I don't know if this applies to the CTRs but I understand that many of the Ruf EMS units are programed to go dead if there is any indication of someone trying to read or alter it. I am sure there are others here that might know a lot more about this than me. So I will leave my peanut gallery comments at this.

Stay warm up there and ENJOY

John Rice
Old 02-04-2010, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I just realized that my last post wasn't very clear. When I referred to an A/B switch I was referring to my brother's idea [he builds a lot of Porsche turbos] of retaining the original roarty CTR Motronic for proper motoring and the A side, AND on the B side, another Motronic/Motec or? for the nice-nice stuff.
JR
Old 02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
I'm gonna ressurect this excellent thread....

I have a RUF intercooler, Adj Boost and Boost guage, but no record of it's installation.....

I do have past records from Andial, did they do these RUF mods back in the day????

TIA
Old 08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

The Ruf tuner scene in American has always been a moving target.

If your car was worked on by Andial back in the day, the Ruf bits likely came from Club Carrera in the LA area. That guy wasn't around long and is best forgotten. He caused Alois a lot of grief.

The Andial guys sourced most of their own parts. They had their own intercoolers [actually they were make by Garretson]. The boost controls were ALL quite generic. The only unique thing about Ruf's was his mounting and special knob.

In the day there were about 4 different Ruf suppliers. Club Carrera in CA, Perfect Power in Il, Exclusive Motors in NJ, and who was it??? in Fl.

JR
Old 08-21-2010, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mede8er View Post
I'm gonna ressurect this excellent thread....

I have a RUF intercooler, Adj Boost and Boost guage, but no record of it's installation.....

I do have past records from Andial, did they do these RUF mods back in the day????

TIA
Funny, my car received the same treatment in addition to Ruf wheels through Andial by the original owner.

It then got a slantnose treatment using fact parts through AJR. A couple of trips to power house for more mods... then sold.

Next owner swapped-out Ruf IC for Andial unit, changed wheels from Ruf to Kenisis 18"s, and lost the muffler for a stock unit because he thought the Ruf was so loud!
RGruppe #180
Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
It then got a slantnose treatment

As did mine.....
Old 08-22-2010, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Here is a "Ruf" 930 on ebay. . .says it has a Ruf Vin number and the car needs a good restoration. Wants 17k$. . . . thoughts ?

Porsche : 930: eBay Motors (item 220654740854 end time Aug-25-10 07:57:02 PDT)
Old 08-22-2010, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

That car has been out there for sale for just over a year now.. looks like quite the project at that price.
RGruppe #180
Old 08-24-2010, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Saw an early Ruf for sale that has both, a crossed out Porsche vin and a Ruf "W09" vin. Ruf factory says it's a Ruf vin car, any thoughts ?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Bringing back this amazing thread like a zombie that just won't die. It proved somewhat informative for me.

This is a thread I started with my Ruf. It is a fully converted 911 and all work done by exclusive motorcars out of NJ back in the day. They were one of the few authorized to do so.

How the hell do you value a car such as mine? lol. Anyone have any kind of reference point I can base a value off of? As of right now the closest thing I can find similar is Mansour Ojjeh's Porsche when it comes to a heavily modified 935 street car. Except his isn't Ruf at all. and that sold for around $400k

Anyone care to share their opinions on the price of my car? Both with no motor as it sits and if I were to put a period correct Ruf motor into it?
Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I would call mine a RUF tribute BTR
My following RUF items are:
Ruf wheels
Ruf front spolier with Ruf front oil cooler
Ruf intercooler
Ruf muffler
Ruf 5 speed
Ruf steering wheel
Ruf boost controller(not currently connected)
Ruf mirrors
3.4L twin plug(ala BTR)

It's as close to a Vin BTR as one can get

Old 11-23-2014, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: