Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
I would call mine a RUF tribute BTR
My following RUF items are:
Ruf wheels
Ruf front spolier with Ruf front oil cooler
Ruf intercooler
Ruf muffler
Ruf 5 speed
Ruf steering wheel
Ruf boost controller(not currently connected)
Ruf mirrors
3.4L twin plug(ala BTR)

It's as close to a Vin BTR as one can get
Who built it? Do you have any idea what its worth?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedRuf View Post
Who built it? Do you have any idea what its worth?
Some of the Ruf parts were there when the car was purchased. The car had a complete makeover mechanically...most of it(if not all) is here Efi conversion to the Mistress
Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Mr. C

Garage
Paulo ( Paul ) is such a nice guy. I acquired his original rear CTR #12 Bumper for my project

Six = Sex
Old 11-24-2014, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
I would call mine a RUF tribute BTR
My following RUF items are:
Ruf wheels
Ruf front spolier with Ruf front oil cooler
Ruf intercooler
Ruf muffler
Ruf 5 speed
Ruf steering wheel
Ruf boost controller(not currently connected)
Ruf mirrors
3.4L twin plug(ala BTR)

It's as close to a Vin BTR as one can get
I would have to agree with that. Didn't realize you had a Ruf 5spd as well. How nice!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAY - 642 View Post
Paulo ( Paul ) is such a nice guy. I acquired his original rear CTR #12 Bumper for my project

Yes, Paulo is always enjoyable to chat with.. he hasn't posted in sometime. Hope he and that beautiful car are doing well!

Funny, I was just in the garage earlier and realized that I have that muffler, twin oval tip with what appears to be the same finish.
RGruppe #180
Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Bringing back this amazing thread like a zombie that just won't die. It proved somewhat informative for me.

This is a thread I started with my Ruf. It is a fully converted 911 and all work done by exclusive motorcars out of NJ back in the day. They were one of the few authorized to do so.

How the hell do you value a car such as mine? lol. Anyone have any kind of reference point I can base a value off of?

Anyone care to share their opinions on the price of my car? Both with no motor as it sits and if I were to put a period correct Ruf motor into it?
As for an opinion.. mine would be what you already know..

Its going to be a hard call to place/set a value on that car. However, as you've stated, "its a fully converted 911 and all work done by exclusive motorcars out of NJ back in the day." That in itself should be some value add considering they were the official Ruf distributer at the time.
*Was this one of the conversions where the Ruf techs were flown in to perform
(which was usually an engine build etc,,) or a simpler conversion of the shelf items?

*Is there any documentation still with the car from Exclusive?

*Is the car that you have an N/A or tubo'd 911 or a 930?

An interesting twist.. many years ago, a friend and I bought a salvaged Ruf 911.
It was a N/A bought, it was European, and loaded with RUf goodies. The assumption was that it was real, based on some limited Ruf paper work in the car, and the fact that the pieces were so expensive at the time, who would bother to pieces one together. So he got the wheels, seats, and bottom end of the motor. I got the gauges, brakes, and top end of the motor which included 10.5:1 98mm Mahle (Max Moritz?)P/C's, twin plug heads, cams, etc.. The poly bumpers were toast.. however in hindsight probably could have been repaired.

The question being, what does this do for either car once he goodies are in place and installed? Is the car worth more because of the Ruf parts, or not.. because it was not installed by them (on my car) or the US distributor of the time? Not that I care either way because the parts are real. Soooo?
RGruppe #180

Last edited by onboost; 11-30-2014 at 04:28 AM..
Old 11-24-2014, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Mr. C

Garage
I need a muffler.... Take some snap shots when you get a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Yes, Paulo is always enjoyable to chat with.. he hasn't posted in sometime. Hope he and that beautiful car are doing well!

Funny, I was just in the garage earlier and realized that I have that muffler, twin oval tip with what appears to be the same finish.

Six = Sex
Old 11-24-2014, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Lmao! I just talked with Paul about pics. I mentioned to him that you needed one. Hopefully it's what you need and you guys can work something out.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Mr. C

Garage

Six = Sex
Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
As for an opinion.. mine would be what you already know..

Its going to be a hard call to place/set a value on that car. However, as you've stated, "its a fully converted 911 and all work done by exclusive motorcars out of NJ back in the day." That in itself should be some value add considering they were the official Ruf distributer at the time.
*Was this one of the conversions where the Ruf techs were flown in to perform
(which was usually an engine build etc,,) or a simpler conversion of the shelf items?

*Is there any documentation still with the car from Exclusive?

*Is the car that you have an N/A or tubo'd 911 or a 930?
Yep car has tons of paper work to document work done.

Originally the car was a 911
Old 11-25-2014, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
I never know what to say my car is, but this thread has helped. It is not a Ruf vin car, tagged car or Ruf built car, It is a modified car with Ruf and Porsche parts.
All the Ruf parts ( 5- speed trans, IC, P&C, cams, muffler, turbo, etc.) and the Porsche sports purpose parts ( clutch, air filter housing, boost controller, boost gauge, etc.) were brought in Germany from Ruf. The rear wheels were brought from Ruf but were modified Fuchs by DP. I have all the Ruf receipts and the importation papers for the car and the German registration.
So the car is highly modified but looks totally stock, no Ruf bodywork, steering wheel or badges except the sticker for the transmission oil and what is cast on the IC.
So I have a modified 930 using Ruf and Porsche parts.
Drivability and power is better but I do not think it would be worth more than a stock one since it is a bolt on modified car.
I think Paulo summed it up well.
By the way I have 82,000 miles on this Ruf engine and it does not burn oil and makes good power. I take it regularly on road trips my only real complaint is the 11-12 MPG on the highway and worse in the city and the fact that you always feel you are in a school zone even at 80 on the freeway.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep car has tons of paper work to document work done.

Originally the car was a 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
I never know what to say my car is, but this thread has helped. It is not a Ruf vin car, tagged car or Ruf built car, It is a modified car with Ruf and Porsche parts.
All the Ruf parts ( 5- speed trans, IC, P&C, cams, muffler, turbo, etc.) and the Porsche sports purpose parts ( clutch, air filter housing, boost controller, boost gauge, etc.) were brought in Germany from Ruf. The rear wheels were brought from Ruf but were modified Fuchs by DP. I have all the Ruf receipts and the importation papers for the car and the German registration.
So the car is highly modified but looks totally stock, no Ruf bodywork, steering wheel or badges except the sticker for the transmission oil and what is cast on the IC.
So I have a modified 930 using Ruf and Porsche parts.
Drivability and power is better but I do not think it would be worth more than a stock one since it is a bolt on modified car.
I think Paulo summed it up well.
By the way I have 82,000 miles on this Ruf engine and it does not burn oil and makes good power. I take it regularly on road trips my only real complaint is the 11-12 MPG on the highway and worse in the city and the fact that you always feel you are in a school zone even at 80 on the freeway.
Sounds like each of you have very interesting, and unique vehicles that should be big fun! Personally I say drive and enjoy them. The whole value proposition and/or potential seems to jade the senses of what these cars are and what they were designed and/or modified for.

Every car I own is modified to one degree or another.. it was either purchased that way or I modified it.. most mods are reversible, some not so much. What has that done to the value? Well, I don't know and really don't care as I bought and/or modified them well before any of the current run-ups, or before anyone gave a damn and I bought them to drive and enjoy.

My 930, is 2nd 930 produced for 78 model year.. its a Slantnose conversion by Alan Johnson Racing done in its original Petrol Blue. The motor is a 3.5 on CIS originally by PowerHaus and later by Andial.. What's the value? Who knows but as the 2nd 3.3 930 produced I'm sure there is some there. Another that I own is a 73 S, it was a fully optioned car with s/r and pwr windows, and thru the grill fog lights. When I bought it, it didn't have the correct engine.. I'VE owned it since 1990, and drove it just about every day up until 98.. I even drove it in the rain because it didn't leak and the wipers worked. It will get its 3rd motor this spring w/all the Ruf goodies I mentioned earlier, it has SC flares 16' turbo fuchs, a fact duck tail, and some very nice suspension mods, oh, and the battery boxes were cut off too.. long ago. 356 Outlaw.. we won't even talk about that cause its just insanely modified. Value? Do I really care? This for me does not dictate how I enjoy my car.. sure, I recognize that the value has increased, I know what they are bringing, and they are insured accordingly.. However, I bought them to drive and enjoy, and I have and will.

When time comes to sell.. if ever, then someone will either pay my price or make an offer that I'm comfortable with or they can go chase themselves! In essence, the market doesn't dictate what I do with/to my cars.. they were not purchased on speculation or with end value in mind, because they will always worth something, if only what I paid.

BigRedRuf; Put that monster together and enjoy it. Is your situation one where the car is without engine & trans? Or do you have the complete car and its apart? There are a number of options you could take to bring the car back to the road.. turbo or non. You have records, between that, and what-ever you decide to do I would think that this would still add value as you can track the lineage. There are a lot of options available and given the year of your car, if no motor is present, I think I'd build up something using some of the more current technology available like efi, special coating etc.. as opposed to trying to track down all the dated Ruf parts.

ficke; Seems as though you have a well sorted sleeper. I would think the only thing you need to say about your car is that its fast!

RGruppe #180
Old 11-30-2014, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: