Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Keith;

You wrote>

"7200, and to a bit lesser degree the 7006 choke's or governs the turbos speed."

The 7006 compressor wheel runs out of steam before the 7200 compressor wheel. Every compressor wheel has a "map" it will generate "X" lbs per minute>we all know this.. The 7006 compressor wheel is smaller and has "less output" vs the stock 7200 comp wheel.

The 7200 compressor wheel is more efficient, and does have more output. The 7006 comp wheel just runs out of "gas"..

Yes, you can build a hybrid 7006, one can take the compressor stage of the 7200 and mount it to the 7006 turbine and hot housing. The result would be a more output.. While this can be done, there are better compressor wheels that one can "use" More modern/better designs.

You also wrote,

"A larger compressor wheel can push more air at the same turbo shaft speed"

I like to read the results another way. The actual turbine wheel is turning slower, with the larger more efficient compressor wheel. If the target "1 bar" setpoint is maintained> the turbo will reach it running at slower speeds. However, where the smaller turbo ran out of gas, the newer hybrid will continue to deliver the "boost" to redline or greater. Turbine wheel speeds will creep up to meet these demands.

Porsche used this same turbine footprint on the 3.6 ltr engines. We have seen Ruf and many other German "race" teams use this flange for the K27/K29's that were built and run.

Pressure levels at the turbine housing will vary depending on your header design, ie are we comparing a modular header design like Bodarts new offering or the log style factory exhaust system. Designing the wastegate circuit also impacts this discussion. You can port and change the turbine housing A/R and make it more efficient. KKK has clipped the turbine wheels in many of it's Porsche "S" and GT2 cars over the years. You lose energy and free up the turbine wheel. The exhaust can exit the housing easier, thus lowering the static pressure. You can quickly change the A/R of either housing 7200 or 7006 by taking metal out at the throat and enlarging the area at the flange. By doing this you will shift the engine RPM to the right and more the power band. Installing a different A/R turbine housing vs making one/modifying the current one has been done many times.. Porsche will usually clip the turbine wheel before the start to grind the housing (less labor>easier to do).

In the end, most owners that drive the 930 on the street, want the turbo to spool quicker and deliver power to the ground sooner. The 7200 was designed for this purpose.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Excellent info!

Had read about clipping the turbine.

On a 930 making about 400chp (near the 7200s' limit) how much might clipping help and at what cost to boost response I wonder?

I think the 7006 hot side is supposed to be good for up to about 20hp.

Also, as there is an advantage with a larger compressor wheel turning slower and being more efficient , would there any advantage to a larger turbine wheel but with a smaller A/R housing? That is small turbine wheel w larger housing v larger wheel with smaller housing???

Last edited by 911st; 02-24-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

The advantage of the larger compressor wheel is> you get more "air" available for the engine to run to redline vs falling on it's face around 5200RPM's plus or minus. On my 965 I have a rare hybrid 7006.. Rare meaning>> 9 cm/2 turbine housing with the large 7006 turbine wheel and massive compressor wheel.

It is far easier to free up the 7200 vs finding/casting a smaller A/R housing for the 7006.. It took me 4 years to get my hands on the 9cm/2 housing. With that said the 7200 does spool up quicker.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: