Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

964 turbo K-27 rebuild

Hi guys my turbocharger has started to whine slightly in the last hundred miles (no smoke) i can hear the turbo spool up and down but not a constant speed. I am assuming that it is on its way out. It has 141,000 miles on it. Has anyone succesfully rebuilt a turbocharger themselves?? Is this something i can consider??? Ive seen several rebuild kits for the K-27. I spoke to a professional and he said it can cost between 500-850 dollars fo them to rebuild it. Thats a little excessive for me right now.

Thanks
JERRY
1991 964 Turbo
2005 955 Cayenne
Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I threw out my comments on that topic just just a few days ago and there are some polarizing thoughts on it, so take my comments for what they're worth. I'm not a pro but do feel that within reason there are some things a person can do themselves.

With as many miles as you have on yours, it's probably best left to the experts. I say that with the assumption that the seal and bearing surfaces on the shaft are probably worn enough to warrant a new shaft and turbin wheel. Also, a close look at the bearing housing bore is in order to make sure it's still within tolerances (if not, then either replacement or reaming/honing to accept oversized bearings in order). And when that's all done plus parts, the assembly would have to be balanced which is something you cannot do.

On the flip side of all that, it's easy to take apart your turbo and inspect everything. If that's all you want to do, and everything looks ok, you can buy and install a rebuild kit (seals and bearings and thrust plate and O'rings) but you must be sure to mark the position of the compressor wheel on the shaft - plus the position of the nut on the shaft - in order to put everything back together exactly alligned to assure the balance won't be affected.

This I have learned through talking with others, and will soon discover how succesful it is since I've got my spare turbo apart on the bench as we speak and a basic kit is on the way. I may send the assembly out for balancing when I'm done just to be sure.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks alot Mark. Im assuming that the "up to $850.00" that i was quoted would be for a turbo that had destructed at some point. If i could have a pro rebuild it in the 400-500 dollar range i would have them do it but 850 is way to high for me at the moment. They just seem like such simple devices but i imagine everything has to be perfect for them to function properly.
1991 964 Turbo
2005 955 Cayenne
Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: