Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Holly Crap! pictures like that scare me! They are like the crazy crap that you looked at when you first got Internet. You soon learn that there are some things you just don't what to see.

It does bring a question to mind. Did the driver of that car notice any strange noise or rough running from the engine or was that some catastrophic event that happen without warning?

Also does engine knock in these cars sound the same as my old dodge? Clunking and clatter sound when I put the gas to the motor going uphill? Or should one be listening for more subtle knock on acceleration?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyGarage View Post
Holly Crap! pictures like that scare me! They are like the crazy crap that you looked at when you first got Internet. You soon learn that there are some things you just don't what to see.

It does bring a question to mind. Did the driver of that car notice any strange noise or rough running from the engine or was that some catastrophic event that happen without warning?

Also does engine knock in these cars sound the same as my old dodge? Clunking and clatter sound when I put the gas to the motor going uphill? Or should one be listening for more subtle knock on acceleration?
The driver of the car with the fine 2-piece cylinder was attempting to "fine tune" the engine himself. Under full boost. On city streets. With traffic around.
Don't try this at home, kids!
The expense of renting the dyno for 1-2 hours and paying a professional tuner for his time would have been about 1/30th the cost of the consequent rebuild.

The melted cylinder + head + piston was the result of the vehicle owner's friend "re-tuning the engine for more boost". As if 670hp wasn't enough?!? The friend with "lots of Motec experience" just added a bunch of timing and added fuel across the board while driving it on the street. No dyno testing, though there are 2 chassis dynos in the city.
This same "friend" didn't help pay for the consequent rebuild.

Knock can sound like a light clunking and clattering, yes. When it's really bad, it makes the same frequency chiming sound as when you strike the heads' cooling fins with something.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 11-29-2010, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)

Garage
86 930 turbo ... K29, 964 cams, SS headers / exhaust, upgraded intercooler

Dyno after the original build in 1995

Recent dyno after fixing vacum leaks & intercooler gasket. K29 is leaking oil and needs a rebuild. Seals are leaking on crank case & valve seals.

Guess my next project is an engine rebuild ....

Darrin
Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)

Garage
Here's an interesting update on the dyno sheet above. We dropped the engine for inspection (oil leaks etc). Mechanic found hoses interfering with the throttle linkage. Basically the car could never reach WOT, even with the accelerator floored. At least it was a simple problem. (One of them anyway)
Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)

For what its worth guys, below is my recent Dyno run.. Sorry about the image quality, the Dinosaur printer wasnt the best...

2007 Viper SRT/10. *Twin Turbo coming soon :0)
Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)

Setup

3.5L
Twin GT30/82R
Twin Plug/Injectors
SC Cams (That is what is holding it back)
TEC III R

Mine is the blue line, BadBoyBill 1976 single turbo EFI is red. Both runs are pump gas.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

engine run ??

Hello, during the test, run in the engine to rev limiter strikes?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeos View Post
Hello, during the test, run in the engine to rev limiter strikes?
If this was directed at my post, no we did not run into rev limiter strikes. The TEC 3R is setup to 7000rpm.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Been way too long since this thread had a new entry.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 07-04-2017, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)

Back when my 930 was a car, not just a bunch of bad decision.

https://youtu.be/YDYN8RiMWPQ

https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: