Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 daily drive?

Ok guys, I am closer to picking up that 89 930 that I mentioned earlier in posts, but want to pick your brains for one thing. I spoke to the owners mechanic, who has known the car for the last 10 years give or take, and he said the car is harder to drive than a non turbo in that the clutch is stiff, and the car demands more work. I understand cars without power steering, power brakes etc might require more effort, as I have a 88 3.2, but is a turbo that much more demanding to drive for a daily driver type.
I don't plan on pushing the car at the track, so I am not asking if it is a harder car to drive at its limits...just daily driving versus a non turbo car.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
How long of drive do you have? If it is stop and go that clutch is annoying. There are to many oil temp cond issues if you don't get it up to temp.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I find it's easy to turtle or rocket with the turbo. It doesn't seem to have an in-between. Low to mid revs (2500-3500 rpm) it cruises nicely. Above 3500 it wants to go fast; real fast.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If that is an 89' wouldn't it have the hydraulic clutch pedal?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My 89 is my daily driver and the clutch is no problem
Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

Wurls
Mine is ok but I don't drive it in stop and go traffic unless I get caught in it. I did notice a huge improvement in low rpm throttle response when I added one of Brians mufflers and pipes (rarelyL8) IT made a huge difference for my car. My first and second gear are starting to go and it is dificult to downshift to first unless almost stopped, after the pipe creeping along @1500 rpm in second and then acelerating was no problem. Regardless of that it just takes a bit of time to get used to it, clutch, tranny etc..., don't think you will have a problem with it after a week or so. I did notice that the car rolled backwards on slight hills were my other manual tranny cars wouldn't. probably cause of the lighter weight.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

No problem. It can be a daily driver, a socker mom car and a track car all in one.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No problem with mine either.
I don't know where all this concern about "daily drivers" comes from and have never understood it. I mean like - come on - if people are concerned about driving in traffic, stop and to stuff, and are so spoiled with power steering and mushy suspension and spongy hydraulic clutches...in short, with cars that take no thought, effort, or finness to drive, then drive something else. If weighing this against whether or not to own a 930, then....well, I'll get off my soap box now.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

930s can be daily drivers, but it just gets frustrating when stuck in traffic. I drove my 1st 930 in traffic and it would drive me nuts as I just wanted to open her up!
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
930 should be no more difficult to daily drive than a normally-aspirated 911. Not significantly, at least. Maybe the mechanic should turn in his man card.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I drive my 1988 in DC rush hour every nice day over the summer and it works fine. Sitting raises engine temp, but if I keep moving at all I am fine. The morning commute is earlier, less traffic, and much more fun. I have no second thoughts about using mine daily.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: