Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Silicone & You guys still running stock IC and plumbing.

Question for you guys still running the stock IC.

Do you still connect the charge pipe to the turbo and to the IC using the o-rings and seals or do you use silicone couplers?
Thinking about just using the silicone to make the connections as I have heard you guys mention the parts will (or can) separate under boost, although my plan is to boost pretty low.

Also what size silicone 90 is used to connect the down pipe to the turbo?

Thanks, Jeremy
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm not running the stock IC but do still use the O'rings for the charge pipe. The only exception is with the turbo end of the charge pipe being joined to the turbo with an aluminum coupler that in itself has two O'rings.

If you have your turbo and muffler securely mounted so nothing moves when you hit full boost and the engine torques as it will, you shouldn't have any issues with O'rings dislodging. The whole thing is designed to allow for some up-and-down movement, and only a damaged O'ring or poor mounting (too much movement) will cause problems.

Believe it or not, back when I swapped out my 3LDZ for my current K27 7006 - and before I had the coupler - I used a rubber plumbing reducer coupler from Ace Hardware down at the turbo end. Worked fine for about a couple years, but eventually succumbed to the heat.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

^^^ +1
Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Guys, where do you buy the large o-rings for the intercooler/piping? I don't see it on this site?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

BPU,
You can order them here, just have to look up the part numbers using the part daigrams.

I just noticed you are in WI, where are you located? Car details? Shoot me a PM if you would like.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 01-18-2010, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The K27 charge pipe adaptor with orings works fine as long as the exhaust headers mount the turbo in the right position.
A 4ply silicone hose works just as well if you cut off the bottom of the charge pipe leaving a small lip to help seal inside the hose with clamps.
The hose makes it alot easier and quicker to line up a turbo that doesn't line up with the oring setup.
Also, orings will eventually leak to some degree and there's no way to check that while in the car... race cars use silicone hoses and doubled up hose calmps or t-bolt clamps or even wiggins clamps because they don't leak and allow some movement.
Porsche 911 & Carrera Engine Miscellaneous - Page 6

Call and make sure which ones are which when ordering. I've forgotten the part numbers and go by diameter and location when ordering. There is one for the throttle body and the oem turbo bypass valve if usng that too.

999-701-469-40-M260 O-Ring, Pressure Pipe to Intercooler Inlet, 911 Turbo (1978-89)

$2.50

999-701-473-40-M213 O-Ring (Turbocharger Outlet to Pressure Pipe), 911 Turbo (1978-89)

$2.75
Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Jim do you still have that extra adaptor you were thinking about selling?
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I sold the aluminum K27 charge pipe adaptor I used to have for $50 a while ago.

I much prefer the 2" ID 4ply silicone hose alternative with 2 t-bolt clamps.
Way easier to install and the top charge pipe oring fitting lines up with the intercooler fitting perfectly.
It doesn't leak and has a little bit smoother inside air flow transition from the turbo to the charge pipe especially if you slightly bevel the entrance and port the inside of the charge pipe a little with sanding cones on long arbors and ultrafine sandpaper flapper wheels on a die grinder.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

Bo
Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Greetings:

I have a stock intercooler set-up.......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
K-27-7006...I Used a boot/hose..ACE-HOMEDEPOT.....Didnn't last, it wears thin. I lost boost..Chked it had a hole right thru it....
Got 2inch hose/silicon mix/etc..used on volvo trucks-turbos and cars...My mech. got it...CHEAP.-Black in color and heavy duty..Two couplers needed,,It works well.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

wjfk32, Do you have any pics for your current set up?
Thanks
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Jcc911

yes-- i have some pics stay tuned.

AHHHHH-JUST realized work blocked my yahoo account...etc,,,etc...

Walt.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: