Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   WANTED - useable 3LDZ turbo (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/522198-wanted-useable-3ldz-turbo.html)

RarlyL8 01-19-2010 10:30 AM

WANTED - useable 3LDZ turbo

I'm looking for a 3LDZ, stock turbo for the 930. Planning to do some comparative dyno testing and need the stock turbo to use as a baseline.
It has to last a weekend without blowing the seals or exploding so blowing a little oil is OK, shaft play is not OK.
Here is your chance to get rid of that 20 lb chunk leftover from the K27 swap.
Thanks!

RarlyL8 01-20-2010 01:13 PM

No one? All those K27 and Garrett conversions? I'll make it worth your while to look.
Thanks -

tj930 01-20-2010 01:27 PM

Brian, I have one. It's perfect (as 3LDZ turbochargers go).

But that's why I'm hanging onto it. (I've kept all the bits of my car, so that I can put it back - should I ever want to sell.) And then there's the shipping costs to send the heavy lump across the Atlantic. (Far cheaper for somebody who lives on the same continent to send one to you, surely?)

Not ignoring you - just kinda hoping somebody else would volunteer!
:)

jayhawk 01-20-2010 01:29 PM

Brian:

I've got one. Looks OK but I have no idea of it's actual condition as it came with the car which already had the K27.

PM me for details

bob

RarlyL8 01-20-2010 01:54 PM

Thanks guys, I know it's a hassle to box your old crap up and ship, will make it worth the effort. Yes soursing in this hemisphere is preferable, ha!
You have pm Bob.

full quack 01-20-2010 02:45 PM

Hey Brian,
I too have one that is in totally unknown condition. Bought it off Craigs list for $125.00.
No noticeable shaft play (by hand/fingers), spins with a little drag (seals?), but I do not know what amount of drag a perfect working one has???
Tell me what to check, and I will! Then if it will work for you??
Mark

mark '87 930 01-20-2010 03:00 PM

I don't want to part with mine for the sames reasons as tj930 , but i may do it for such a wonderful cause.. not to mention, Brian, you've been helpful with tons of folks on this board including me.

fletcher0780 01-20-2010 04:04 PM

Mine made full boost with a 1 bar spring, but smoked coming off boost and I can feel shaft play (no contact though)

RarlyL8 01-20-2010 07:45 PM

Appreciate the offers.
I can't spend too much on this which is why i only want a turbo that can last a weekend without exploding. Shaft play scares me but a little oil blow-by is OK.

full quack 01-21-2010 08:00 AM

Like I said Brian, just tell me what to look for & I'll completely check out the one I have. How easy should it spin by flicking it with my finger? How long should it "free wheel" before seal friction stops it? Etc, etc.
Mark

RarlyL8 01-21-2010 10:12 AM

Mark,
Just grab the shaft on either end and wiggle. Both hot and cold side should have just a tiny amount of movement when no oil is in the housing, no more than a wiggle. When you spin it should be free and not drag anywhere.
I don't want to take your turbo if you are saving the stock parts from your car and that is one of them.

full quack 01-21-2010 11:47 AM

Hello Brian,
The one I'm talking about is a spare I picked up off of Craigs list for $125. That was before I was schooled on how antiquated a 3ldz is.

So now I have a perfectly good working 3ldz on the car, and a spare that I will NEVER use.

I know there is NO play in the shaft, and NOTHING touches or rubs metal to metal at all. Nothing has ever been ingested into it, all bolt holes & studs intact, all flanges in good condition.

I just do not know how much spinning resistance a good working 3ldz should have? I mean I know the seals have to be imparting some "drag" or they could not seal out the oil. So how freely should it spin? I mean if I give it a quick twist with my fingers, how long should it continue to spin before slowing to a stop? 1 revolution? 2 revolutions? More?
Please tell me how it should feel to spin it, and I'll pull it out of the box tonight and check it out for you.

Mailing it to you would not be an issue. I would not want it returned...EVER!

If we agree that it might work for you, I'll mail it to you. Then you try it out first, if it works out for you, then simply pay me back for the shipping & reimburse me the $125 I paid for it.
If it doesn't work for you, then damn, it wouldn't have been much of a backup for me either. But repaying me for the shipping would be a nice gesture.
Mark

mark houghton 01-21-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by full quack (Post 5139104)
So now I have a perfectly good working 3ldz on the car, and a spare that I will NEVER use.Mark

Mark, you're still running with a stock 3LDZ on your car? I'm shocked and floored - actually, stupified to realize that not everyone has seen the need to upgrade to K27 versions.

I have my stock 3LDZ sitting on the shelf and just the other day pulled it out to check the "wiggle" (something I never did when I removed it years ago). It was working fine and not smoking, but it definitely has wiggle at both ends (not enough to rub the housings), and definitely is in need of a new thrust plate with lots of end-to-end movement. I just happen to have a set of bearings, thrust plate and seals from a K27 with minimal miles (long story)...maybe I'll put them in the 3L to 'freshen' it up if I ever put it back on the car. Ha!

RarlyL8 01-21-2010 01:56 PM

Should spin but not for long typically. If it doesn't drag should be OK. I sent you an e-mail.

full quack 01-21-2010 02:50 PM

Hey Mark,
It's not for the lack of wanting, it's more tha fact that I don't have $ to do it all & to do it right. You know...new turbo, new full bay intercooler, new headers. Believe me, I will do just that, just as soon as my house is paid off!
Mark

mark houghton 01-21-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by full quack (Post 5139463)
Hey Mark,
It's not for the lack of wanting, it's more tha fact that I don't have $ to do it all & to do it right. You know...new turbo, new full bay intercooler, new headers. Believe me, I will do just that, just as soon as my house is paid off!
Mark

Damn mortgages....always getting in the way of what's truly important and sacred.
I'm almost done spending money on THIS car, so I can double up on the house payment and maybe have it all gone in time to retire. House paid, high performance Porsche to assure my wife an early life insurance payout....such a deal.

jonesb930 01-21-2010 04:52 PM

Brian,

If mine checks out it will only cost you shipping. I will be needing a set of headers so we can work something out. I am heading out to the garage to measure the shaft play.

Bill

RarlyL8 01-21-2010 05:15 PM

That'll work Bill. The dyno work I am planning includes the new headers.

jonesb930 01-21-2010 05:24 PM

Brian,

I took the compressor side housing off to inspect the internals for any contact and to get a good measurment of the shaft side play. I used my dial indicator and setup to measure.

Side play was .015" of an inch
End play was .004" of an inch

The inside of the compressor has no signs of contact and the compressor wheel looks good. It obviously needs a good cleaning though. The shaft spins free but does not free wheel so the seals appear to be ok. Hard to tell without putting oil pressure to it though. This turbo was changed after finding some oil residue in my intake plenum. I never had the issues of blue smoke after lifting off the gas though. Is there anything else I should check?

Bill

jonesb930 01-21-2010 05:27 PM

One more thing, the exhaust side had one broken stud (beneath the housing) and two missing studs on the outlet.

Bill