Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Unless the 78 Targa was a very special and rare special wishes car and not a custom which I think it is, I would say someone made a big mistake!

The 98 Targa RUF is a different story. Seemed like a fare price comparing it against a factory 97 993TT. Last year of the air cooled, glass roof targa, and RUF is interesting and might even hold its value.

JMO
Well the last factory 993 ( AIR/OIL COOLED)
TT and was a AW drive twin turbo. If it has a RUF VIN#
( RUF was a mfg as of 1981 so then this would be a 993 single turbo1998 sliding glass roof targa with single turbo (over 400HP ).(Conclusion ( future value) to be debated as the story unfolds. Stay tuned

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-24-2010 at 09:09 AM..
Old 01-23-2010, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
The Ruf people took a Glass top targa and put a turbo on it among other things .. so you are right this is a single turbo, 2 wheel drive morphed Targa .. While it is a Ruf ..still not the same as the 993TT AWD ... here in the mid-atlantic a TT 993 with decent mileage is still going for around $60-75 depending on its options....
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 01-24-2010, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

A 993TT is arguably a more capable and better car than this RUF modified 993 with a single turbo added on.

Still, it is a unique car being a Targa and having the RUF BTR conversion. People seem to respond to RUF even if it dose not have a RUF vin.

Me, I will take a factory 993TT.

Again, the 78SC price made no sense to me and seems to border on fraud if I understand things correctly. Porsche did not make factory turbo look Targa's in 78. Thus, it is a conversion of unknown origin on a not very desirable Targa. Only plus is it seems to be a very low mileage chassis.

During the auction and in the wright up, non of this was disclosed in my opinion.

Another car I think seemed to be poorly represented was a Corvette with what was mostly just a special graphics package and a miss leading lot number of 427 that was passed off as being a Z08 but is was a normal heaver lower HP Vette.

JMO
Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmarc View Post
So what did you all think of the RUF turbo going for $79K?
what do i think? i need to sell my car at BJ!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I was at Barrett-Jackson, saw a couple of the Porsche's in question (the white/red '87 930, the red/black FrankenMonster SC targa, and an '83 SC cab...also saw the Ruf'd 993 Targa but didn't pay it much mind), and all I have to say is WOW!!!

That 930 has been on eBay and craigslist over the past year and scared me then b/c of the boxed rockers and admission of paint work...in person it was decent at best, with a very clean, likely re-dyed interior, and obvious paint work on the driver's quarter, passenger door and hood (window seals all jacked up on left quarter glass and rear window, horrid wavy bodywork on pass door, greener tint to white on hood). It was hammered sold at $38k, which in my opinion/experience is about all the money for a perfect 930, which this was not! And that doesn't even take into account the 10% buyer AND seller premiums that B-J sucks outta the deal...

The SC targa w/ the widebody conversion and slant kit w/ 928 headlights was/is the kinda Porsche that at first glance makes you laugh out loud and cry inside...and it only got worse from there as I got closer. I didn't see it go across the block and can't get my head around that number, as I wouldn't have paid $5000 for that abortion!

And then there was an 83 SC cab that had some miles (78 or 80), needed some help on the driver's seat and top, and had some nasty paintwork on the front.

Bottom line, none of these cars were that nice (the SC slant being the antithesis of nice, despite a claimed 11k miles) and they all seemed to bring serious money, proving I guess that a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place. Or as P.T. Barnum famously said...

I'm thinking we all pool together and next year rent us a fleet of semis, sell all our cars to fools with more money than brains/taste, and retire to the islands. Who's with me?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: