Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Subd,
The only experience I have with Protomotive systems was not a nice one. From a marketing perspective, I look at Protomotive as the garage that makes a great product for the guy who has gobs of money and says "heres my car, make it fast." Now for guys like us, the system (in my opinion) is not optimal because you must rely on them to tune the car. I think it would be far easier and cheaper to learn how to tune a stand alone and adapt it to our cars. Stand alones are not that hard to hook up if one knows what they are doing and the tuning knowledge learned from our cars can be applied to anything else that has a stand alone. The only draw back to learning to tune on our cars is the fact that they are rather fragile (not to mention expensive) in comparison to cars like Mitsubishi Evos and Eclipses.
The Protomotive solution works great, but if you want to tweak your car yourself, it is not optimal in my opinion. There is also the cost factor- for the amount of money for a pressure sensing setup- you can get a Haltech p2000 and have every thinkable in/output for a car and tune them where on the proto setup you can't as it is limited to 1980's technology with their spin on it.
my .02
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

The Motronic ignition transistor is "electronic points", so it can trigger the MSD "Points In" white wire. Or it could trigger the green wire on a J&S knock controller.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John at J&S View Post
The Motronic ignition transistor is "electronic points", so it can trigger the MSD "Points In" white wire. Or it could trigger the green wire on a J&S knock controller.
John, Thank You for that info.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
Subd,
" Now for guys like us, the system (in my opinion) is not optimal because you must rely on them to tune the car. I think it would be far easier and cheaper to learn how to tune a stand alone and adapt it to our cars. Stand alones are not that hard to hook up if one knows what they are doing and the tuning knowledge learned from our cars can be applied to anything else that has a stand alone.

The Protomotive solution works great, but if you want to tweak your car yourself, it is not optimal in my opinion. There is also the cost factor- for the amount of money for a pressure sensing setup- you can get a Haltech p2000 and have every thinkable in/output for a car and tune them where on the proto setup you can't as it is limited to 1980's technology with their spin on it.
my .02
Well said Kris, this is how I feel also.

I would rather learn and be able to tune myself.

1: Gives you Freedom, this allows you to make changes and have the ability to then fine tune for them.

2: Your wallet is not bleeding money all the time.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

The Proto boost sensing system dose come with the software to program you own chips. I believe they have an option to live track things on a PC.

It is just an option. Maybe not the best for everyone.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
The Proto boost sensing system dose come with the software to program you own chips. I believe they have an option to live track things on a PC.
I did not know they offered this- it helps a little bit. But how much is it extra?
Then you got to pull the chip out, program it, and reinstal it as opposed to unplugging a usb cable. I will say the system does absolutly work fine, but by the time the cost of their pressure sensing is incured- you can afford a Motec.
Am I far off by saying the pressure sensing mod is roughly $4g's (was a big number if I remember right)? I cant remember since it has been a while since I have inquired about them.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I have not priced if of late but it was just over $2k a year or two ago. They need your Motronics box to mod it and the throttle body as he mounts a TPS to it.

No need for a big rewire.

FPR and or larger injectors are on top of this.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Really? I was way off. I thought that the mass air version was just over 2K and the big daddy (the pressure sensing) was like another 2K.
OR! Maybe it was because I was sourcing the ECU through them! AhA! Thats why it was so expensive. Thats what gave it the price I remember, Ecu and harness was like 1,500 or so from them. So if you go to them with an existing setup, then it is 2000.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Kris,

Again, you would have to double check. I did not know he had a MAF system. The MAP to me is an easy change over. Most the stock sensors and wiring stays. Still it has limitations.

It is still a batch fire, you probably can not do much in the way of add on's like programmable by rpm boost or anything else you can think up.

How much is a good after market ECU and wiring harness? I suspect much of the cost is the programing and set up. With Tod's system I think he gets you pretty close. Especially if you involve him in it from the beginning. But I do not know this for sure.

I think boost by rpm could add a bunch. Most factory cars do this now and boost can be bent around TQ peak and pulled back near red line to reduce stress or live withing other limitations like cooling capacity or such.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
My '87 930 has Protomotive Motronic EFI that was installed back in '02. It is a MAP system. It runs great most of the time. For some reason when it's really cold its idle speed would hunt around almost dying and also there's an occasional miss when cruising. Perhaps these little problems are related to bad sensors such as bad CHT or O2 sensors?

As Kris said I have no option to change the DME programing except thru Protomotive but have thought about adding a piggy back air/fuel controller. I need to invest in a wideband system before I do anything stupid.

I would like to hear others using Protomotive EFI to chime in. Subscribed.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Mike, You might call Protomotove. Last I checked he included software with his pressure sensing conversion that would let you burn your own chips.

I think if you want him to do is it is something like $125.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Here is a new RR FPR that looks pretty flexible and tunable:

http://www.synapseengineering.com/pdf/sc001-manual.pdf
Old 02-06-2010, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: