Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
Congratulations, Charles! I know you went through quite the search (my 930 included) to finally conclude on yours.

Great colour! How about some interior and engine shots!

I would search out a Euro 930 exhaust. There are a few left out there.
thanks chris. i really wanted a 76/77 and missed out on yours, but at some point and how long i looked, you have to eventually "$hit or get off the pot"and the 78/79 was my second choice.

good thought on the euro muffler. i looked closer at mine today and i can cap of the right pipe, then weld on a diferent bung on the left side, but it may be cobbled together and i really dont' want to do that. also I don't know how it would affect the flow thru the muffler.

after closer inspection today, they did not cut the part behind the rr tire, so i only need to find the rear valance.
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 02-14-2010, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Not a bad selection with either 78/9 any day of the week.

You know, if it were me,,, and I know you are almost as retentive as I ,,, I would find a rear lower valence and have a top notch painter match the code and do it right. You'd never sleep no matter how well you welded and covered knowing you went second rate.

Always go first rate FIRST! Then you don't pay twice realizing you went SECOND and are forced to go FIRST!

That's a chopped up Napoleon Hill quote, but I know it works well enough here.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2010, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

. You'd never sleep no matter how well you welded and covered knowing you went second rate.

If you did that you would then have a repainted left door and a non original to the car completely repainted valance. To replace a small piece of metal and carefully blend the small area with keeping the majority of the rear valance with original paint and metal as it was built in 1979 would be the way i would think the best way of doing it. The point is not a easy or cheaper way to go, just keeping it as original as possible. I would be willing to bet that if the completely repainted door was done on a million dollar Ferrari a carefull small repair to the affected area would have been prefered to a complete panel repaint. It usually takes more time and much more expertise to do a small area that cannoct be detected than blowing/blending the whole panel. As for the Muffler deep six the dual outlet and get a excellent original, the car deserves it.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-15-2010 at 07:10 PM..
Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Way to quote me out of context, Vuilture!

The last time I checked we are not talking about million dollar Ferrari's here.

We are talking about Porsche's that are dear to OUR hearts that will never, well at least not in our foreseeable economy and future, amount to much more in the collector world than the 30 to 55 grand arena that they continue to fluctuate in.

I don't know what kind of painters you have up your way, but there are many that can paint full panels, match exactly whatever colours and blend perfectly with other panels to Porsche's exacting standards or beyond! Nothing less.

Unless he can, out of pure unadulterated luck, find an exact colour coded valance he STILL has a re-painted driver side door. And to half-paint a lower valance that has been welded, ground, prepped and repainted doesn't make sense on anyone's car when quality work to a perfectly good NOS valance can be done easier! The reason is because he would be left to blending as you said, which in my opinion, would and could lead to more frustrations and possible inconsistencies.

And because of your lack of detail in quoting, I will conclude in saying that if you re-read what I said, nowhere will you find any inference of taking the "cheap way" out!

Maybe when he spots that one car with a valance that is being parted out he can grab the door, too!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
Way to quote me out of context, Vuilture!

The last time I checked we are not talking about million dollar Ferrari's here.

We are talking about Porsche's that are dear to OUR hearts that will never, well at least not in our foreseeable economy and future, amount to much more in the collector world than the 30 to 55 grand arena that they continue to fluctuate in.

I don't know what kind of painters you have up your way, but there are many that can paint full panels, match exactly whatever colours and blend perfectly with other panels to Porsche's exacting standards or beyond! Nothing less.

Unless he can, out of pure unadulterated luck, find an exact colour coded valance he STILL has a re-painted driver side door. And to half-paint a lower valance that has been welded, ground, prepped and repainted doesn't make sense on anyone's car when quality work to a perfectly good NOS valance can be done easier! The reason is because he would be left to blending as you said, which in my opinion, would and could lead to more frustrations and possible inconsistencies.

And because of your lack of detail in quoting, I will conclude in saying that if you re-read what I said, nowhere will you find any inference of taking the "cheap way" out!

Maybe when he spots that one car with a valance that is being parted out he can grab the door, too!
"Second rate" usually refers to taking the easy way out. Your advice is fine, just different than the way I would do it with the people I know ( VoitureLTD est 1979). I can only use my experience of collecter car presentation of high end cars. We did mostly in the early years, many collectable cars, specializing in 300SL and 507 BMW including serial# 1 alumimium gullwing with 8K original miles, original family owned. The Concourse evaluation at the end of the day was how much original could be kept with the finished car as close to perfection that is achieable. The goal is as much of the car left as built with original finish the better. Value of the car, be it $50K or $500K, should not be always be the deciding factor. I'm not saying my way is right by some folks standards, just a way to keep it as original as possible. In the years when we did our restoration business the value of the 300SL and 507s have increased many times since and have been internationally judged as among the finest. Who knows where the value of a (vurtually perfect) 930 will be in years to come. As an aside Cellison had been agonizing over buying this car. I had bought from this high quality seller before and we ( unbeknownst to Cellison) decided one more day for him to pull the trigger ( he did ) otherwise I would wire the mony for this car. My opinion was, based upon how nice it otherwise was, were I to get it, would be to repair the valance to keep this fine car as original as possible. Congratulations Charles on getting a really good ( mostly original ) early 930. If you ever decide to part with it for a 76 or 77 I hope you remember my gesture.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-16-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

PM sent
GHL Exhaust Dual Exhaust, Wevo shifter and coupler
935 Front Air Dam, Forgeline wheels
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
As for the Muffler deep six the dual outlet and get a excellent original, the car deserves it.
The original US muffler for '79 looks like this:

If you really want to go back to stock, the one pictured above is off of my car now and I would consider selling it as my car is at a point where returning to "stock" is not possible.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

That is a mighty good looking original. What mileage was the car at when you took it off? My guess would be under 50K.The reproduction ones ( Dansk) are way inferior to that one. If Charles does not want it PM me with your price. I could always use a extra like that to return that next great find to the way some like them (bone stock). Hopefully you have kept the original muffler strap and the pipe from the waste gate.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-16-2010 at 05:56 PM..
Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
The original US muffler for '79 looks like this:

If you really want to go back to stock, the one pictured above is off of my car now and I would consider selling it as my car is at a point where returning to "stock" is not possible.
Jacob, i'm interested in the muffler...i'll pm you. that is a US muffler but how does it differ from a euro muffler? do you have the stock single out valance? wonder how minerva blue would look against petrol blue

regarding the suggestions on my delima, i appreciate all of them. i'm pretty anal i'll just have to decide, but thankfully i'm in no rush.

I really did agonize over buying this thing. a couple dyas after i first looked at it, i found out someone wanted it and was ready to cut the check. after i bought it i found out it was tony ready to buy it. Those guys could have worked their own deal, but i really apreciate them letting me take my time to make a decison. That was a class move guys. thanks
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: