Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
fuel head removal

I am pulling my fuel head and sending it away to be rebuilt. Anyone have any suggestions on the easiest way to do this ?
Thanks
T
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I did this a few months ago. IIRC, the head was held on by 2 or 3 flat head screws. Because of the limited space between the head and roof of the engine compartment as well as the attaching flathead screws being very tight, I was forced to remove the entire assembly (fuel head and whatever its attached to), then separate them on the bench. I disconnected all rubber fuel lines, banjo fittings, and lastly each injector hardline. All in all it wasn't too bad, but I distinctly remember being very careful and using lots of downward pressure with the flathead screws as I didn't want to strip their heads. I also used antiseize on the screws when I reassembled.

On a side note, anyone got an idea as to where a replacement O ring can be had? Its the one that goes on the bottom of the fuel head where it enters the chamber below?

Last edited by DailyDriven'88; 01-27-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes it is a tight fit. A partial engine drop will also give you more clearance.

Why are you having your fuel head rebuilt?
I offer this service on an exchange bassis if interested. Also offer modification tailored to your engine.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Brian,
If I do a partial engine drop, I'll feel the need to do a whole one, and if I do that.... I really need to freshen up the tranny,, then there's the oil leaks, and I need to pull the exhaust to plug the air injection holes,, and then.... see what I mean ?? It's ski season, I don't have time for this!!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 01-27-2010, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Know what you mean, ha!
Other option is to remove enough CIS stuff to get to the air meter so it can all come out as the other fellow stated.
A dental mirror and 90* screw driver ratchet will work if your screw heads are not siezed. Soak them in carb cleaner and give it a go before pulling everything apart.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You can undo the rear motor mount bolts and lower the motor down a couple inches on a floor jack to get more clearance above the fuel head for a short screwdriver.

Those 3 flat blade screws holding the fuel head on can be a ***** if they are in too tight, the slots for the screwdriver are rounded off, or the steel screw threads were not greased or antiseized previously and have reacted with the aluminum housing and corroded to it's threads.

I replaced them with stainless steel allen head bolts. They fit perfect in the recessed holes in the fuel head and are so much better than the cad plated steel screws in every respect.
They only need to be snugged down good.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post

I replaced them with stainless steel allen head bolts. They fit perfect in the recessed holes in the fuel head and are so much better than the cad plated steel screws in every respect.
They only need to be snugged down good.
Great idea. Allen bolts for ease of removal are much better for this application.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

I did this 2 years ago , used the angled screwdriver from the factory tool kit and worked perfect with no engine drop.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You only need to drop the engine or remove the assembly if the 3 slotted screws are siezed. That is where the dental mirror and carb cleaner come into play. That usually works.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: