Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
LOWFAT, did you have problems with the turbo up pipe fitting requiring cutting the pipe with these? Were you able to use your stock bracket to hold your turbo in place....?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
i need to just get RARLY's headers, Im just low on cash now. I know his exhaust is awesome and Im sure the headers are even better with no guessing or fitment issues, but again low on $$ and want to get this car running NOW. .......still debating. My J-pipe on my euro headers is mangled and cant find a replacement!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It should not be too difficult to find a complete Euro exhaust or just a J-pipe. That is the least expensive and problematic way to get you going. Put a want ad in the classifieds here and on Rennlist.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
If i give my engine a revision within 2 years i just want to put a clean and new complete rarly8 exhaust system and not a used 2 years old one. my stock exhaust is verry pore and crackt.
My heatexchangers are like cheese with holes :-). the heatexchangers are mounted on the obx and i have cleaned the header insight. i will post pics bud its like a copy of the headers in the previous page. i have no good feeling about the headers but now they are save and i will give them a try.

Last edited by klefroid; 01-31-2010 at 12:46 PM..
Old 01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

klefroid:
I just put a used set of those OBX headers on mine. Thy came from a fellow Pelican who was running them with no issues. I got them dirt cheap, and I'm trying them out on the rebuild I just completed. If they don't work out, I will be switching to a factory setup with the heat exchangers. I'll let you know how they work. BTW, I did a bit of treaking and welding on them for my wastegate, as I only run a Tial 38. Also, they are kind of a crappy fit, and have 10 mm holes in them. It took awhile to get all the ports to line up well.
Pat

My old BAE setup (stock SC heat exchanger with the OBX) The late 930 HX is on the floor.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've got a set of factory headers of my 87 with 52k miles. Excellent condition. PM if interested.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Pat that is a beautiful engine! The shiny headers look much better that those old exchangers. When my engine was rebuilt we blasted and painted the Euro exchangers, they can look very nice if good prep work is done.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patkeefe View Post
klefroid:
I just put a used set of those OBX headers on mine. Thy came from a fellow Pelican who was running them with no issues. I got them dirt cheap, and I'm trying them out on the rebuild I just completed. If they don't work out, I will be switching to a factory setup with the heat exchangers. I'll let you know how they work. BTW, I did a bit of treaking and welding on them for my wastegate, as I only run a Tial 38. Also, they are kind of a crappy fit, and have 10 mm holes in them. It took awhile to get all the ports to line up well.
Pat

My old BAE setup (stock SC heat exchanger with the OBX) The late 930 HX is on the floor.

Is it possible to use the stock wastegate on this headers?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Well, since I really don't know what a stock wastegate looks like, I'm not sure. It did have a 4 bolt flange on it for the wastegate. I cut the flange off and welded a 38 on it.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Sorry for the late response - I didn't have to do any cutting or anything but the fit wasn't ideal . I expected as much going in so it was really no big surprise . I am not using the turbo bracket as my car didn't have one in place when I removed the stock set up. I guess someone removed it along the way.If money is tight I would say go for it if you are ready to buy but if you can waite I say save your money and buy a higher quality set so you don't double spend like I will wind up doing. I just wanted something right then so this is what I bought. They have been on the car for a couple of years now with no issues and if they last until the end of this year I will be happy as I plan on upgrading a couple of things this next winter. Ah yes decisions decisions !!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Used obx headers for nearly 2 years now with absoloute no problems whatsoever,used on the track/street and also several dyno sessions where they have been subjected to extremes!

Please do spend time though cleaning out internally and also i made a jig up to tweek them here and there a little so they fitted on with ease!

If your hands on these are great value for money in my opinion...If you expect to receive them and then slot them straight on then they probably are not for you!

Here is what i used to clean internally then i washed inside..I used a strands from a wire sling then bent each end at 90 degrees fitted in a drill and and run internally near at all the welds..If you go this way be carefull when wire is spinning round and wear thick gloves like shown as the wire will take your skin clean off when revolving
"92" 964 turbo,Modified and recently rebuilt using all ARP hardware..
Purpose built fuel controller set up to acheive perfect fuel curve on CIS inj.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Cutting, torching, welding, bending, fixtures, running chains and wire on drills? That's NUTS. Do you really want to gamble your wire drilling skills on the value of a turbo or an engine rebuild? This is Walmart junk and we are putting it on a POSCHE TURBO.
There HAS to be some other economical alternative that is better quality than that.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Shaking in my boots here!!...There goes my engine........BANG!...ha ha....

Thousands of hours effort into rebuilding/modifying my pride and joy and would not risk anything i didnt have total confidence in,and with my ability i am confident.

Not everybody has thousands of dollars to spend on headers so let the man be,,,and at 15% the price of other brands available at the time...yes 15% the price,,I am 100% confident and happy with my purchase!.....

To answer your question, NO!,,there is not an economical alternative at the price of $379 dollars...At the time of 2 years ago B&B was one of the other brands available which i have also heard negative comments about.

Eh and am not nuts my friend or neither is the other buyers of similar products..As i have mentioned before on this subject there is plenty happy obx,gsf,shnell header buyers out there..

looks like someone maybe nuts.lol...Hey please look and read below!!!...and thousands of miles of track use and supporting over 600rwhp,,what more a test do we require!!!....Hey,,he must be totally nuts!!!,,,check out his headers!..oh my God risking that engine.lol..

Think i need to say no more other than anything else to help the original poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petri View Post
I wonder why the discussion of CIS capable or not? It's not that much of a capability, but the characteristics of the engine.

This is what I have in my rear trunk with K-jetronic system (OK: also with RUF 3,4 C-group cylinders and pistons, RUF B-group camshafts, built and blueprinted in RUF), KKK-27-32 turbo, Blownsixdesign Intercooler, twinspark system with RSR 12-plug ignition cover, and well powered... a long way more than 400rwhp. A way more than 500rwhp... Yes, it starts with figure 6... And torque also in about same figures in Nm. And how long does it last? Now after it came in a wooden box from RUF, it has lasted over 45000km hard use (this summer more than 1000 laps of different tracks both time attack and serious race purposes). Now we are about to open it for the regular maintenance and service it for the next 40000km or so. Also turbo will be rebuild back to same specs.
I don't see K-jetronic as a problem, it just is violent and rough with its behaviour, but that is why I love it: excellent on race track when you want to have it now (don't drop your rpm below 3500, or you are slow as a donkey, but): between 3500-8000rpm I just love it . Ok, it behaves as a -76 Le Mans 935, but isn't that the most fun of it?

The expense: this car eats driveshafts for breakfast. And gasoline.

Exhaust system mounted in 2008 spring. The diameter of fire rings is 6mm larger than regular stock 930.

Exhaust system and KKK27-32 turbo. The clean side turbine spools quickly after 3000rpm even if the diameter is large. Waste gate is 935 dual system with 0,9bar spring and adjustable pressure. Usual boost is 1,0bar but the engine will be set after the maintenance for higher basic boost.

Full size intercooler mounted in 2008 spring. Tial dump valve.

Blownsixdesign 930 race-application intercooler replaced the RUF-application, because of the better airflowe and lower temperatures.

Gas pump system: two (150L/min.) collector pumps from main fuel tank (140L) with filters to catch tank (5L) which is always full (with direct return to the main tank), one front gas pump (200L+/min.) sucking from catch tank, one rear gas pump in engine bay (200L+/min.) keeps the thirsty engine served. With 'stupid' and simple system like this the last thing you want is to run lean...

Some quick camber adjustment going on: under the front hood is mounted 140L gasoline safety fuel cell: CIS isn't that economical, so this is the solution.

Club racing with street car: drive to the track, take the plates off and race With Proxes R888 semi slicks killing fast street car and with slicks a competitive race car.

Hitting lap times in Nordschleife this summer. 7.45 BTG in traffic with over 20 passes/lap, so not so slow street car any more. Eating easily for breakfast very highly tuned Skylines, WXR:s, EVO:s like there is not even dialogue with those 'slalom cones'... as well as 997 GT3 RS:s, F430 CS:s Gallardo:s etc. With these there is some dialogue depending on driver, but not much... for giving you a scale of CIS-system. No need for more refined system, if you don't exactly love of playing with your laptop. I don't when I'm off duty and challenging myself with some of my rides.
"92" 964 turbo,Modified and recently rebuilt using all ARP hardware..
Purpose built fuel controller set up to acheive perfect fuel curve on CIS inj.

Last edited by stup; 02-05-2010 at 03:51 PM..
Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
One data point means little. For every person that rolled the dice and got lucky with these headers there is another that ends up spending thousands to save hundreds. I deal with the fallout from these cheap headers quite often. Bad fitment, blown turbos and wasted money.
I am happy you have the skills to fix these problems, not everyone is so blessed. Those folks pay me to fix it and I hate seeing what they go through.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

...for my taste and experience too many issues with these
Chin made headers. The list is long, from not correct welding,
(I dont know the english word for saving the inner tube side with gas)
dirt and cutting pieces loose or nearly loose inside the header,
to fitting issues (look carefully on the turbo flange inner measurments,
here we found differences).
Cleaning them perfect inside is a mess.
And always you have this in mind:
"will the headers do their job or destroy the turbo"

on rennlist you can see this:
OBX headers--oh my... - Rennlist Discussion Forums

*I am waiting for Rarly8`s headers dyno run, or have I missed it?

Falk
Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Another thing to consider is the continuous sell out of America to Chinese manufacturing. How many products are we suppoed to buy from them that kill us with poison or lead or contaminated foods?
If there were no market for goods from China, American companies would have no choice to stop selling us out and keep Americans manufacturing goods here. National pride, ethics and civic responsibility dont come into play at corporate American boardrooms....only profit.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-06-2010, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Another thing to consider is the continuous sell out of America to Chinese manufacturing. How many products are we suppoed to buy from them that kill us with poison or lead or contaminated foods?
If there were no market for goods from China, American companies would have no choice to stop selling us out and keep Americans manufacturing goods here. National pride, ethics and civic responsibility dont come into play at corporate American boardrooms....only profit.
OMG - I bet you shop at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc., too, right? You want the cheapest price for most of what you buy - we all do. In the "boardroom", it damn well better be profit. Unfortunately, Mr Obama is making "profit" a dirty word (idiot). Without profit, there is no company - no investors (think YOUR 401k, health insurance), no R&D, no growth, no taxes paid locally, roads go to hell, no jobs. For Walmart, Home Depot and so on, the only way they can compete against each other (and provide you with the best price) is to source the cheapest goods for the given demand.

You probably don't realize that the evil boardroom is probably made up of some of your neighbors too - they are human beings trying to do a VERY BIG JOB. Brian's boardroom (RareL8) is made up of him - profit seeking bastard.

If you don't like China, OK. If you want to beat them, then make something better than they can. Design it better somehow. Every company I deal with goes to extremes in dealing with the environment, human resources, ethics and best practices in thousands of areas. In some business, these things are their biggest cost centers.

For me, I think its high time we restore the mindset that profit is good and required for a strong economy, jobs, education, standard of living, defense and so on.

Besides, without profit, how is the new multi-trillion dollar budget the idiots in Washington are spending?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

We owe China 14 trillion dollars
Chinese workers make like 80 cents per day.
And, we still have lots of profit in the USA. It just doesn't trickle down.

This formum is about the only place I can go without being exposed to peoples personal politics...do we need it here too?

Should we move this discussion to the OT world?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Wow - I guess my post above is an example of writing your thoughts but don't hit the send button. Therefore, I apologize for the rant, not the content.

I've been in a lot of boardrooms where the overwhelming topics have been how they can be more responsible, more "green", hire more people (minorities, disabled, locals, etc) and so on, only to read in the paper how evil these boardroom people are - the author didn't have a clue, just a populist imagination. Personally, I look up to most of these boardroom members because they are taking on tons more responsibilities than I have patience for.

Anymore, if you want to interview for a middle or upper management position, you better be ready to talk about how you can add value to the company's social responsibility agenda just as much as you would talk about your core talents. It seems that we all want to be paid the most for what we do, get the best and most benefits (thrown in to boot), live in the best house, drive the best cars, buy products at bargains and expect it can all be done within our own borders. GM is a great example - the workers are the highest paid, they built dozens of different models that couldn't be supported for the price they needed, crappy quality and no one really wanted the cars they built. I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
OMG - I bet you shop at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc., too, right? You want the cheapest price for most of what you buy - we all do. In the "boardroom", it damn well better be profit. Unfortunately, Mr Obama is making "profit" a dirty word (idiot). Without profit, there is no company - no investors (think YOUR 401k, health insurance), no R&D, no growth, no taxes paid locally, roads go to hell, no jobs. For Walmart, Home Depot and so on, the only way they can compete against each other (and provide you with the best price) is to source the cheapest goods for the given demand.

You probably don't realize that the evil boardroom is probably made up of some of your neighbors too - they are human beings trying to do a VERY BIG JOB. Brian's boardroom (RareL8) is made up of him - profit seeking bastard.

If you don't like China, OK. If you want to beat them, then make something better than they can. Design it better somehow. Every company I deal with goes to extremes in dealing with the environment, human resources, ethics and best practices in thousands of areas. In some business, these things are their biggest cost centers.

For me, I think its high time we restore the mindset that profit is good and required for a strong economy, jobs, education, standard of living, defense and so on.

Besides, without profit, how is the new multi-trillion dollar budget the idiots in Washington are spending?
+1 and an A-A-A-men brother!

No rant perceived, just reality.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: