Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurls View Post
Thanks Captain!
Hey, I'd love to see pictures of a black 930...drop some on this forum if you have any. Where are you located in this huge expanse of world we live in?
Oh...great story by the way! I would LOVE to have the opportunity to drive a turbo in Europe...ahh alas...just a dream. LOL!
Here it is looking a little mucky after 1500miles of European touring. The photo was taken just before the sumit of the 8212ft Umbrail Pass which is partially a gravel road

which brings you to the top of this, the Stelvio Pass, one of the best roads in the world.

I live near Maranello in Northern Italy, it's Ferrari country and I have yet to see a classic 911 round these parts which makes mine all the more special to drive.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to djdawson2
High altitude wars? 11k+ feet and the CIS still worked fine!

Old 01-31-2010, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
porschesaur

Porsche Schwag - 1989

Howdy Chaps,

Donít have that year 930, but a memorable one for the model, nonetheless.

Anyone receive one of these enticements from PCNA in the mail? A full sized poster personalized with your last name on the plate depicting a reenactment of the original 75-76 magazine article jump of a 930 accompanied by a heartwarming invitation to come by the dealer and have a go yourself, with a convenient card enclosed to set that date up.

1950 Vincent Rapide - A Red Rapide Experience -
Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Guldan View Post
Howdy Chaps,

Donít have that year 930, but a memorable one for the model, nonetheless.

Anyone receive one of these enticements from PCNA in the mail? A full sized poster personalized with your last name on the plate depicting a reenactment of the original 75-76 magazine article jump of a 930 accompanied by a heartwarming invitation to come by the dealer and have a go yourself, with a convenient card enclosed to set that date up.

HAHA!!! Awesome! Never received anything like that yet...but will wait for it in the mail.
Nice air shot of the turbo too!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Chris. I had a really nice low mileage 993 in Tiptronic and sold it looking for a manual car. Ended up with a 1989 930 LE. Obviously a different generation from the 993. Harder work to drive with no power steer and big turbo lag but I wouldn't swap my 930 for any other car no matter what. When you drive a 930 you are driving a piece of history. They are brilliantly engineered, brutal, ruthless, spine tingling, on the edge machines. Read up on all the stories about pushing these cars hard and believe them and be careful but these cars are bucket list items. You will never have another driving experience like it. Good Luck. Richard
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Hi Chris. I had a really nice low mileage 993 in Tiptronic and sold it looking for a manual car. Ended up with a 1989 930 LE. Obviously a different generation from the 993. Harder work to drive with no power steer and big turbo lag but I wouldn't swap my 930 for any other car no matter what. When you drive a 930 you are driving a piece of history. They are brilliantly engineered, brutal, ruthless, spine tingling, on the edge machines. Read up on all the stories about pushing these cars hard and believe them and be careful but these cars are bucket list items. You will never have another driving experience like it. Good Luck. Richard
Richard,

What do you mean when you say "These cars are bucket list items"? I hope you don't mean they are a huge financial drain to keep them!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
No mate, I mean, they are something you have to have/do before you kick the bucket ( die! ). I have a fairly long bucket list and unfortunately they are starting to weed in my row now so i gotta start ticking off some of the things on my list.
Apart from a clutch replacement the 930 has only had oil changes every 12 months. it has been on the track once and in a sealed road rally once and had a bad coil which i replaced - otherwise very economical but they do have to be serviced regularly and fussed over.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
No mate, I mean, they are something you have to have/do before you kick the bucket ( die! ). I have a fairly long bucket list and unfortunately they are starting to weed in my row now so i gotta start ticking off some of the things on my list.
Apart from a clutch replacement the 930 has only had oil changes every 12 months. it has been on the track once and in a sealed road rally once and had a bad coil which i replaced - otherwise very economical but they do have to be serviced regularly and fussed over.

Richard,

How long have you owned your 930? (It will give me an idea of how economical ownership of a 930 is). How many miles are on it?
Any pics?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I have an '89. Bought it 5 years ago....it has been blissful ownership and a very rewarding car to own and drive. VERY cheap to maintain as well.

Looking forward to many more miles in the future.

Yasin
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Not to ruin the love fest on 930's, but I have had mine for 5 years and had to spend quite a bit of money on mine. Owning a 930 is like marrying a women, you really don't knonw what you are going to get until you have live with them for a few years.
I can't do too much of my own maintenance and am not a real gear-head, although I have made the commitment this year to learn a lot more. My had a top end re-build 6 months before I bought it and the mechanic who did the work stated it was a very solid car. Here are my costs so far:
New Oil lines after about a year as well as the twin plug distro shorting: 3K
Year two: new front shocks, blown turbo: 2K
Year three: Re-surface wheels plus fabspeed intake 1K
Year 4: engine chain seals gone bad + pop-off valve and several other small items need replacing: 4K
Year 5: rust in window corners forced decision early on restoration paint job, new dash and front windshield (most of these need replacing as they get chipped really bad except on really low mileage cars), plus new tires: 10K

Total $20K

As you see you will soon find your self spending quite a bit more than you imagined, especially if you can't do it yourself. Mine might be a high example but don't fool yourself into thinking a 23 year old car may not develop a number of issues over time. On the flip side I have enjoyed every minute of driving the car other than the bills. It is a monster and have enjoyed my old gal blowing the doors off of new Saleen Mustangs as well as plenty of others.
It is one of the most fun cars to drive, although I wouldn't mind having a turbo other than my K27-7200 that just surges so hard and has a broader power band.
I am not trying to talk you out of it, but want to make sure you know what you can be in for.
87 930 Super Cup (964) Cams , Andial K27 7200 Turbo, Andial Intercooler, Twin Plug, Andial Fuel Enrichment System, Carillo Rods, Mahle Pistons, Raceware head studs, Adjustable Turbo, Ruf Wheels, plus much more...
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

1989 here. Great fun car IMO. I have had a few problems with the ignition and the normal stuff with the fuel pump relays. Which I believe is all sorted out now (thanks A930 Rocket). Not really a daily driver for my purposes but is a lot of fun on the weekends.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
beancounter

I am going to echo the comments of stephen930. At a minimum you are looking at a 21 year old car (mine is over 30 yrs old). It will take money to keep the car on the road and running properly. If you keep it parked in your garage and never drive it, it will be cheap to maintain, otherwise in the long run it will cost some $$. More than a 3.2 of similar vintage? Perhaps.

IMHO, anyone who buys an old 930 (or 911 for that matter) should go into the purchase with a decent chunk of change in reserve and the expectation that you will need it, regardless of what the PPI says. IF you get lucky and the car doesn't need this $$, you are ahead...then you maybe put the $$ in the stock market, or buy lottery tickets If you fail to plan for major services that might be required (top-end or full engine rebuild, transmission rebuild), it can easily ruin your ownership experience.

I am just over two years into ownership. I bought a good driver '79 in original condition that I don't think anyone would describe as being a rat:

I am in the process of doing a full engine rebuild. It was required, although the car was running quite well. I've replaced and upgraded all the bolt-on stuff too (turbo, exhaust, intercooler, etc.) With the engine rebuild and the other upgrades, I have spent as much (or more, who wants to do the math?) as the purchase price of the car. It was easy, really. Not everything I have done was strictly maintenance, some are upgrades and there are certainly plenty of "while you're in there" type costs. There are less expensive ways to go about it than what I've done, but nothing that qualifies as "cheap" in my book.

When I bought this car, I think my head was in the same place as you...I wasn't going to modify it, didn't want to spend a fortune, etc. I remember when I was looking at the car, I posted a thread about on Rennlist and someone said I should have 15k in reserve for repairs and maintenance. I said to myself, "that's BS man! No way!". Turns out that the Rennlist poster was a bit low in his estimate.

All that said, this car has gotten under my skin like no other internal combustion powered machine ever has (and I've owned quite a few). There are a lot of sweet cars I could have for the $$ I've put into the 930, but I'm not interested.

This is THE car.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Chris. I have owned the 930 for about three years now. As I said I have done one sealed rally/tour and a track day - other than that it does Porsche club runs and sunday drives but occassionally is a daily driver. Mileage is nearly 80,000. I think what the guys are saying is pretty right. You will spend money if you don't find a good one that has been well looked after. If you want to thrash it then your chances of major damage are greater. having said that they seem to really like being driven hard - that's what they were built for. The only other pic I have is from a previous owner running the car at the Nurburgring. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
All you guys that haven't bought a 930 yet will be on the outside lookin' in when car prices start to rebound...and there are signs that it is already starting to happen. I bought my car last spring and then had a complete engine rebuild done last fall to replace worn exhaust guides and repair case oil leaks. Yeah, I spent a lot to have it done, but it was worth it, because these cars are pretty rare and special. I enjoy having to manhandle the car to drive it well, and there's no better feeling than to be drinking a beer after a long drive, feeling drained and spent, but happy for the experience of driving a true legend...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to mic
Chris:

I have a 89 930 cabrio. Bought it with 84kmiles and it was all fine. The main feature of this car (other than being a cab) is the G50/50 5spd trans. It is much nicer than the 4spd. Very strong transmission. Understand that these transmissions can cost as high as $8k (when they are found), while the 930 4sp can be found for $1.5k. It was a 'hot' item to replace the 930 4spds (with lots of hacking) with a G50/50, but now i see that many are just going to the 6spd trans instead (might be lower cost than a g50 conversion now). I had a earlier 930 conversion with a 915 transmission. Bad combination since the 915 just cant handle the torque presented by a strong 930 engine.
My 89 930 has an upgraded CIS that is similar vintage to the 91/92 965 but not really a big deal.

Anyhow, now the car is now straddling between a 930 and a 993TT. It is being retrofitted with a 993 turbo charged motor with custom EFI. The only things that are better about the 993 (depending on your preferences) is 4pt coil over suspension (which can be added to the 930), power steering and ABS (for the sissies). But a I do like the look of the 993 turbo S or a GT2. I'll give up my car for either.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Guys,

I VERY much appreciate all of your feedback regarding acquiring and owning a 930.
Although I won't have an extra 15K laying around for maintenance right away, I think I should be ok as the car will be used as an occasional nice day driver.
Here are some pics of the car. Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Looks great to me........
Question: How do the tile/ceramic floors hold up with a car jack?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny771 View Post
Looks great to me........
Question: How do the tile/ceramic floors hold up with a car jack?

I am not too sure. It's not my garage floor.
I don't think the owner does much of his own maintenance though.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I just bought an '87 turbo...two pieces of advice I can give you is first to really quiz the mechanic about the car. I too was lucky enough to be able to speak to the mechanic that worked on the car for the preceding 15 years. He wasn't the most talkative guy in the world so I had to pull stuff out...it can get a little uncomfortable at the start but after a while he went through a bunch of stuff.

Secondly, get a compression test (and leak-down if need be) done...it's sort of expensive but in the long run it's cheap insurance that your not buying someone's headache. If the seller says no...WALK AWAY...period. I dealt with a guy that raved about his car...told me how strong the motor is, etc...I agreed to buy it subject to PPI (he said okay)..once I told him I was doing a compression test (all at my expense) he balked. He claimed that the turbo plumbing makes it expensive and time consuming (mechanic would have completed it in a day...?) and said no.....I walked.

Great cars...blast to own...enjoy the hunt...it's almost as fun as the kill!

Best of luck!

87turbo87
Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: