Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone own a 1989 930?

I'd like to ask that whoever owns a 1989 930, to please post any information to anyone that is considering acquiring one (namely ME).
Whatever you care to write about ownership of one of these 911's either positive or negative would greatly help me to decide the last phase of whether or not I will be getting one.

Oh, pictures too would help. This is going to be a very big purchase by me, and I just need the encouragement to know that I am doing the right thing.

As a comparison, my choice for next 911 is either the 89 830, or a 95-96 993.
No track days, and not a daily driver. Just the occasional nice day/summertime driver.

Thank you in advance for the info!
Chris
Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I really enjoy my '89 with the 5 speed with the hydraulic clutch. Now that I've had the engine completely rebuilt, I'm gonna enjoy it a lot more. It runs like a friggin' watch. You won't find a better bunch of guys than the Pelicans on this site with their 930 turbos, regardless of the model year. They'll support you and help get you through any mechanical problems which might crop up with your car. If I had the cash to pony up for another Porsche, I would buy the nicest 993 twin turbo that I could afford...ya gotta love those air cooled motors!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Porsche Crest Where in ON

Chris

Where are you located?

My Porsche buddy Philip just got his. A complement to his 87 Cab. Kind of funny since he had it delivered just before X-mas, he did not drive it yet but the delivery man did...

Cheers

J.J.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Chris

Where are you located?

My Porsche buddy Philip just got his. A complement to his 87 Cab. Kind of funny since he had it delivered just before X-mas, he did not drive it yet but the delivery man did...

Cheers

J.J.

J.J., I'm in North Bay. Drop me a PM and let me know your email address and we can catch up from there. I'd love to hear all about it!
Cheers!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slantnose Steve View Post
I really enjoy my '89 with the 5 speed with the hydraulic clutch. Now that I've had the engine completely rebuilt, I'm gonna enjoy it a lot more. It runs like a friggin' watch. You won't find a better bunch of guys than the Pelicans on this site with their 930 turbos, regardless of the model year. They'll support you and help get you through any mechanical problems which might crop up with your car. If I had the cash to pony up for another Porsche, I would buy the nicest 993 twin turbo that I could afford...ya gotta love those air cooled motors!
Steve,
Thanks for the support! I know the Pelican guys are cats arse on here, and I wouldn't think to ask anyone else for their info/support.
As far as the 89 930 that I'm interested in goes, I spoke to the mechanic who has known this car for the last 10 years, and he says it is in excellent shape.
I know turbos are costlier to work on than a non turbo, but are they slightly more or significantly more? I just don't want to run into a HUGE bill for repairing a 930 that I intend to treat like a queen!!!

I guess now would be a great time to ask 930 owners what their repair bills have been like compared to a non turbo.
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to djdawson2
I have an '89 930 as well. I considered mine a relative steal at about $25k... but the Porsche buyers seem to be very scared of cars with some miles on them. Mine had nearly 100k at purchase. I am very capable of doing all of my own work, major and minor... so the miles didn't bother me at all... I'm a lifelong gearhead.

Mine has worked nearly flawlessly since I bought it. The only problem that it has every exhibited is that on occasion it fails to deliver signal to the fuel pump relays... and therefore not start. This has been easy to overcome when it has happened, and has been quite rare. I've taken the car on numerous 1000+ mile trips, and it has never let me down.

Since buying it, I've added a few bolt-ons. I installed RarlyL8's muffler, and that made a major difference in performance. This was my first add-on. Then I installed a B&B intercooler and a K27-7200 turbo at the same time... also great improvements.

I've had to do a few other maintenance items to get everything working after I bought it. The only expensive one was the electric fan for the oil cooler in the drivers side fender. This fan cost about $450, and the foam seal that surrounds the cooler is another $85ish.

Minor work... since the car had miles on it, I replaced the front ball joints and control arm bushings. Relatively easy work, and not too expensive.

I've spent a lot of time in a '96 993 as well. The two are totally different animals, in my opinion, and it really depends on what you are interested in. The 993 is a great driving car, and refined compared to the 930. However, the 930 has a raw visceral nature to it that the 993 can't compare to. On the other hand, the 993 is something you'd take out and drive at any time, where the 930 seems more appropriate for special occasion use. Bottom line, however... I still own the 930, and not a 993.

However, I will probably buy a 993tt in the not too distant future. Just love that car too.

This is mine... I've since replaced the twists with Speedline Alesios... more period correct IMO:

Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdawson2 View Post
I have an '89 930 as well. I considered mine a relative steal at about $25k... but the Porsche buyers seem to be very scared of cars with some miles on them. Mine had nearly 100k at purchase. I am very capable of doing all of my own work, major and minor... so the miles didn't bother me at all... I'm a lifelong gearhead.

Mine has worked nearly flawlessly since I bought it. The only problem that it has every exhibited is that on occasion it fails to deliver signal to the fuel pump relays... and therefore not start. This has been easy to overcome when it has happened, and has been quite rare. I've taken the car on numerous 1000+ mile trips, and it has never let me down.

Since buying it, I've added a few bolt-ons. I installed RarlyL8's muffler, and that made a major difference in performance. This was my first add-on. Then I installed a B&B intercooler and a K27-7200 turbo at the same time... also great improvements.

I've had to do a few other maintenance items to get everything working after I bought it. The only expensive one was the electric fan for the oil cooler in the drivers side fender. This fan cost about $450, and the foam seal that surrounds the cooler is another $85ish.

Minor work... since the car had miles on it, I replaced the front ball joints and control arm bushings. Relatively easy work, and not too expensive.

I've spent a lot of time in a '96 993 as well. The two are totally different animals, in my opinion, and it really depends on what you are interested in. The 993 is a great driving car, and refined compared to the 930. However, the 930 has a raw visceral nature to it that the 993 can't compare to. On the other hand, the 993 is something you'd take out and drive at any time, where the 930 seems more appropriate for special occasion use. Bottom line, however... I still own the 930, and not a 993.

However, I will probably buy a 993tt in the not too distant future. Just love that car too.

This is mine... I've since replaced the twists with Speedline Alesios... more period correct IMO:

Thanks for the info DJ! Nice picture of your car, but you said you replaced the twists with Speedlines? Can you send a picture of that because if they're the Speedlines I am thinking of, I would LOVE to see a 930 with those on it!
As far as being a gearhead, I am quite the opposite, though I wish I was a gearhead! I need to take the car in to the shop for anything other than a good wash & wax! So, I could see how owning a 930 would be less expensive for someone with your abilities.
So yeah, drop a picture of your car with the Speedlines on it if you can! I'll drool later! LOL!
I'll keep in touch with the turbo owners until the day I bring it home. Hope I don't chicken out though!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This is the only picture I have of it with the Speedlines. Not flattering... in my garage on the lift, and dusty...

Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
This is the only picture I have of it with the Speedlines. Not flattering... in my garage on the lift, and dusty...

DJ,
GORGEOUS!!! Please let me know what size they are, what size rubber you're running, and where you got them and for how much $
Is your car Forest Green?
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Chris,
Like djdawson2 says, the 930 has a "raw visceral nature" that is incomparable! Do NOT dwell on the cost of maintaining her...she is the high priestess/whore/she-devil of automotive performance, and she will drain your balls and leave you screaming for more! Treat your 930 like the queen that she is, as we are but dirt beneath her fingernails...she will demand everything from you...all of your time...and all of your money...but oh, what sweet music you will make together as you fly down the road with your fellow Pelicans!
Buy your 930 now and enjoy her passion...when the b*tch has used you up and she beckons for the next owner...then, and only then, should you move on to the 993tt.

Last edited by Slantnose Steve; 01-29-2010 at 05:29 PM..
Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The wheels and tires: 18x9 in the front with 235/40/18s, and 18x11 in the rear with 285/35/18s. I'm not a fan of using anything larger (315/335) for tires in the rear... I don't really care for the look. I paid $3500 for the wheels with new tires shipped. Fairly pricey...

Yes, the car is green. I think that was another reason that the car went for a lower price... not being the more popular black, silver, red or white.

I actually really like the green. I can also say that in that color I attract little notice from the police... which is good for me, as I get plenty of tickets. In this car, to date, I haven't gotten any... knock on wood.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slantnose Steve View Post
Chris,
Treat your 930 like the queen that she is, as we are but dirt beneath her fingernails...she will demand everything from you...all of your time...and all of your money...but oh, what sweet music you will make together as you fly down the road with your fellow Pelicans!

Steve... That's some poetic writing... right from the Paul Krasusky school of automotive editorial prose!

However, I gotta throw in my 2 cents here. As far as turbo cars go, the 930 is really very simple. Think of all the crap you DON'T have to maintain... power steering pumps and hydraulics... water pumps, radiators, hoses, heater cores, complex exhaust systems... the list goes on. These cars are pretty bare-bones. With the exception of the possibility of nagging CIS issues, there's just not much to it. Ironically, the 930 is the best running CIS car I've ever owned, hands down. I have yet to have any issue. It starts/runs perfect hot or cold... unusual for CIS cars, and I've owned a lot of them. (Just in case you don't know what I'm babbling about, CIS is an early generation of Bosch fuel injection)

The down side is that some things are hard to get to (valve adjustments), and the engine has to come out for some services.

I've owned and played with a bunch of turbo cars, and in my opinion, the 930 is pretty easy to deal with. Just buy the right one to begin with. I looked at quite a few before finding this one. She runs like a top, everything works perfect (including the A/C), and she doesn't leak a drip of anything EVER.

Good luck...
Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Steve... That's some poetic writing... right from the Paul Krasusky school of automotive editorial prose!

However, I gotta throw in my 2 cents here. As far as turbo cars go, the 930 is really very simple. Think of all the crap you DON'T have to maintain... power steering pumps and hydraulics... water pumps, radiators, hoses, heater cores, complex exhaust systems... the list goes on. These cars are pretty bare-bones. With the exception of the possibility of nagging CIS issues, there's just not much to it. Ironically, the 930 is the best running CIS car I've ever owned, hands down. I have yet to have any issue. It starts/runs perfect hot or cold... unusual for CIS cars, and I've owned a lot of them. (Just in case you don't know what I'm babbling about, CIS is an early generation of Bosch fuel injection)

The down side is that some things are hard to get to (valve adjustments), and the engine has to come out for some services.

I've owned and played with a bunch of turbo cars, and in my opinion, the 930 is pretty easy to deal with. Just buy the right one to begin with. I looked at quite a few before finding this one. She runs like a top, everything works perfect (including the A/C), and she doesn't leak a drip of anything EVER.

Good luck...

Yeah Steve, some pretty interesting writing...but I like it! LOL!
My wife wouldn't want me owning a car that bleeds me dry...nor would I for that matter. Guess I better get a very good PPI done then.
Question DJ...what is the cost from a garage to drop the engine out? Is it a big job? How many hours to do that?
The 930 I am looking at is Forest Green as well...which is why I was interested in pics of your car. Where did you get the wheels/tires from? That seems like a decent price WITH tires?

Last edited by wurls; 01-29-2010 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Fortunately (for me) I couldn't comment on the cost for a shop to remove the engine, because this is work I'd perform on my own. I'm afraid you'd have to ask someone who relies on a good shop for their service. I haven't yet pulled my 930 engine, but based on my experience with similar rear engined vehicles, I'd be surprised if it took more than 3 to 4 hours to remove... quite possibly less for an experienced wrench.

I think you can do better than I did on the wheels/tires. I was inexperienced, and perhaps exhibited premature ejaculation of the wallet. There are reputable rebuilders of the Speedline wheels on this forum... just do a posting if you get to that point, and I'm sure you'll get responses.

Let's put it this way (when considering a 930), after I bought and drove it around northern CA, I was kicking myself wondering why I had waited so long. I'm 45... I should have done this 10 years ago, at least. If it isn't too much of a financial stretch... do it now. You'll regret it if you don't. The good news with older P-cars, you don't take a major depreciation hit... IF you keep your mods simple and enjoy the car as-is. They can absolutely be money pits (if you get into major mods) that you will never recover. I could have easily afforded a 930 years ago, but didn't allow myself the "luxury." And yes, I now feel stupid for not doing it sooner.

Another couple of pics of Forest Green for you to look at... just for fun. These were both taken on the road that follows the North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado... an amazing road, taken on my "scenic route" trip back from California after buying the car:

Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
djdawson2: Very nice photos...I'm sure that was a memorable trip for you.

Chris: djdawson2's advice is spot on...buy a sound 930 from a reputable seller, but don't wait forever looking for the "perfect" car. Life is too short to miss out on the chance to enjoy the 930 driving experience...
Old 01-30-2010, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I've got one, it's black inside and out and has 48k miles. After years and years of not knowing which was the right car for me I took the plunge and bought mine just over a year go. As previously mentioned my only regret so far is I didn't buy one sooner.

After just 200 miles of ownership we (my wife and kids with me) used it for our family holiday and drove across Europe through 9 countries in 11 days covering 2000 miles. It covered every type of road imaginable from twisty gravelled alpine mountain passes to cruising at 125mph on German Autobahns with ease.

The kids loved the trip and so did my wife. This year for our holiday we were going to go to Sicily in it so we could do a lap of the Targa Florio but won't as without working air conditioning it would be too tough a trip for us but I know the car would have done it without any problems.

Insead I will be using it on sunny weekends and will follow the Mille Miglia in it and drive from Maranello where I live via Le Mans for the Classic Le Mans event and then back to the UK for it's annual sevice/inspection (about 1000 miles each way).

It's not in perfect condition as it has the later 964 turbo bumpers and non-original wheels. I bought it with the parts to convert back to as manufactured and will take it off the road to return it back to original once the novelty of owning it has worn off. Can't see that happening in the next 5yrs so the respray will have to wait.

I have driven it a few times on the same roads used by Ferrari for their mountain road testing route and it was a joy to drive. They are not the easiest car to drive but probably one of the most rewarding once you get the hang of the turbo lag.

As for them having a reputation for sticking peole backwards off the road in my brief experience they must have been very poor drivers or stupid or a combination of both.

Do it you only live once and the way prices are going you may not get a second chance.

Last edited by Captain Ahab Jr; 01-30-2010 at 01:03 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post
I've got one, it's black inside and out and has 48k miles. After years and years of not knowing which was the right car for me I took the plunge and bought mine just over a year go. As previously mentioned my only regret so far is I didn't buy one sooner.

After just 200 miles of ownership we (my wife and kids with me) used it for our family holiday and drove across Europe through 9 countries in 11 days covering 2000 miles. It covered every type of road imaginable from twisty gravelled alpine mountain passes to cruising at 125mph on German Autobahns with ease.

The kids loved the trip and so did my wife. This year for our holiday we were going to go to Sicily in it so we could do a lap of the Targa Florio but won't as without working air conditioning it would be too tough a trip for us but I know the car would have done it without any problems.

Insead I will be using it on sunny weekends and will follow the Mille Miglia in it and drive from Maranello where I live via Le Mans for the Classic Le Mans event and then back to the UK for it's annual sevice/inspection (about 1000 miles each way).

It's not in perfect condition as it has the later 964 turbo bumpers and non-original wheels. I bought it with the parts to convert back to as manufactured and will take it off the road to return it back to original once the novelty of owning it has worn off. Can't see that happening in the next 5yrs so the respray will have to wait.

I have driven it a few times on the same roads used by Ferrari for their mountain road testing route and it was a joy to drive. They are not the easiest car to drive but probably one of the most rewarding once you get the hang of the turbo lag.

As for them having a reputation for sticking peole backwards off the road in my brief experience they must have been very poor drivers or stupid or a combination of both.

Do it you only live once and the way prices are going you may not get a second chance.

Thanks Captain!
Hey, I'd love to see pictures of a black 930...drop some on this forum if you have any. Where are you located in this huge expanse of world we live in?
Oh...great story by the way! I would LOVE to have the opportunity to drive a turbo in Europe...ahh alas...just a dream. LOL!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Shadetree930;5156331]You are putting too much worry into this.

If you buy a solid car, your maintenance costs will be on par with a 3.2 model. I have had no turbo specific maintenence costs. Some tires, and a major service (oil, valve adjust, etc) that is it.

Buy it. Drive it. Enjoy it.

Oh ... and once you do pull the trigger ... come join the boys on this board for one of the TurboPalooza weekends ...

Thanks for the support Shadetree! That is what I want to hear...that the maintenance costs would be roughly the same as owning a 3.2
Where abouts do you guys have your turbopalooza weekends? Hopefully near the Canada/US border at least.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage

1989 930, and yes i love it. Fikse wheels. 315 rears, 17"
Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Very pretty...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: