Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 shifter rod - bearing bracket spacer question.

While installing a new ball socket for my 930 shifter, I found a 1/2" thick spacer ( not a Porsche part ) installed between the L-shaped (bearing bracket) and the tunnel.

If I install the shifter without the 1/2" spacer then the shift rod binds at the L-bracket since the shifter ball socket is too deep in it's cup.

I am wondering if I have the wrong L-bracket (bearing bracket)? Since this part does not have a stamped part number on it I do not know if I have part # 930-424-031-00 or not.

Does anyone have one that they can measure for comparison?

The dimension from the mounting surface on my L-bracket to the centerline of the shifter rod is approximately 40 mm.

My shifter appears to be factory but the shaft has been subsequently welded to the pivot portion of the shifter. The dimension from the pivot to the ball end on my shifter is approximately 80 mm. The previous owner says it's a short shifter but I can't confirm this.

My questions are as follows:

1) Do I have the correct L-bracket for my 87 930?
2) If a spacer is common at this location then what thicknesses are you guys running? I assume this matters since the thickness of this spacer will change the amount of left-right throw of the shifter rod.

Thanks to everyone..

'87 930, 3.3 liter, K27 hybrid, Kokeln IC, Andial, B&B, Borla, 17" Supercups.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Sounds like someone made their own sort shifter. There is only one "L" bracket to my knowledge and it normally bolt right to the tunnel sheet metal. By adding the spacer, the fulcrum point has been changed. To get it back to stock, you would beet to remove the spacer and use a stock shift rod.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for your response930 rocket..

I'll check the shifter itself this morning to see if it has a part number stamped on it. The PO said it had a shor throw shifter in it. If it does, then it sounds like I need a spacer but how can I determine the "optimum" spacer thickness?

'87 930, 3.3 liter, K27 hybrid, Kokeln IC, Andial, B&B, Borla, 17" Supercups.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Same spacer found in an '86 930 Ive worked on. Service records indicated a short shifter was installed many years ago.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: