Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Transmission oil change dumb question

This is my first time changing the transmission fluid. Does the oil lube the differential too since it is a transaxle? If not is there a separate drain and fill plug? I looked at the manual and it was unclear. Will 1 gal of swepco do the job?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Same oil for differential and gearbox. Make sure you use the correct Swepco if you have a limited slip differential. They require special additives for the friction plates to do their job.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Flieger, What is the correct Swepco for lsd?
I always thought Swepco 201 was good for either style tranny.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but in answer to your question 1 gallon should cover it with a few drops left over. Just fill the tranny till it just leaks out past the overflow/fill port.....
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

...and the car has to be level while doing that.

so if you're under there pounding away on a hand pump full of gear oil the car has to be on 4 jackstands and level or the oil level in the transaxle will be wrong when it spills over.

i put the blue swepco 201 in my 930 LSD and it works fine with no lsd clutch chattering while accelerating and turning after a stop at an interesction.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the hep guys?

I will also be adjusting the valves. I ordered the upgraded valve cover gaskets from our host. Is anyone using those? It says they can be used several times.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Make sure you pull the fill plug first! More than one person has drained the fluid only to find the fill plug stripped or difficult to remove.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Make sure you pull the fill plug first! More than one person has drained the fluid only to find the fill plug stripped or difficult to remove.
Sounds like good advice.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I am about to tackle this job as well, there is another current discussion on the 911 forum about proper fluids to use:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/524583-swepco-transmission-fluid-quistion.html

Some note that using Swepco will stiffen cold shifting

For 930 LSD transmissions, Pete Zimmerman has always used Kendall NS-MP 80W/90 dino gear oil along with with a 4oz bottle of Kendall LSD additive, I think this is what I will be using.

http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/part_detail.jsp?PART_HDR_ID=29162
Peugeot moped

Last edited by William930t; 02-05-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Old 02-05-2010, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Wink

So @ $60 a gallon, I've ruined my tranny using Swepco 201 huh? Hmmm...I haven't seen any performance issues with it and my LSD still does it's limited slip thing AFAICT.

It's all snake oil anyway. Next time, I'll be using a generic off-the-shelf Walmart recycled oil
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 02-05-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Old 02-05-2010, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have no doubt Swepco 201 has been hyped so much on the porsche forums and is now overpriced because of that and it's probably no better than Valvoline or Kendall petroleum based non synthetic gear oil with LSD additives.
The Swepco 201 blue color makes early porsche steel synchro transmission owners think it's something special with it's blue color dye added to the oil.

If you look around sometimes you can buy a 5 gallon bucket of Kendall or Valvoline GL5 gear oil with limited slip additive for around the price of a gallon of swepco mail order.

Here's the Kendall GL-5 stuff with the LSD additive already in it so there's no LSD clutch chattering when starting off and turning at the same time, and to enhance the marketing, mystery, and mild confusion they're calling it "Glocker oil"?

This is mail order so shipping has to be figured in but it must be available locally, maybe even on sale once in a while.
Glocker Oil 33256 Kendall Axle Gear Lube

Getrag G50 owners have the better Borg Warner brass synchros and these transmissions last a little longer and shift smoother when cold with synthetic gear oil.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: