Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

Poll: Lightweight Flywheel Poll
Poll Options
Lightweight Flywheel Poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Got Boost?

Garage
JBL,

Did you get to do the 60-130 times LWFW vs Dual Mass? I am considering the LWFW but if there is no considerable improvement, then I am not going to dump 2K versus $500 for clutch replacement. I could use the other $1500 for headers or HFS. My car is a '94 turbo 3.6 just in case.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Infidel

I did, but only got chance to do a couple of passes, i went from 7.53 to 7.49 seconds 60 to 130. Problem is i didn't make a note of the ambient air temps on the days so this could be down to conditions.
If you are doing track work in the car then it probably is worth fitting it, otherwise probably not. I swear i can't tell the difference. Remenber mine is a 993 turbo lump, so it's motronic etc, and is a much more responsive set up than a CIS motor, i never fitted a lightweight flywheel to the 930 lump.
Too much has changed with the car now for me to do another check, it's got lighter con rods and different wheels.

If you are on stock headers, and the stock turbo, then they would be far better upgraded than the flywheel. I would go with a lightweight wheel when you 'have' to change the flywheel. Just make sure you have a good strong clutch for the extra power and you'll be fine
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 10-11-2010, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Garage
Thanks, I agree it may be a completley different scenario and also agree that going with the other mods is probably better for now. I had a NA 993, and the difference was incredible, but unlike the 964t, the NA 993 lacks torque, so you could really feel the difference with the elimination of rotational mass.

Thanks again..

UPDATE: Ended up putting the LWFW from Patrick and sourced all the other parts. Like many have said, change it only if you have a bad Dual Mass, otherwise the money would be better elsewhere. Anyways my Dual Mass was in pretty bad shape. I picked up the car 3 days ago and have put some miles on it and have not stalled it although my idle without A/C is at 1000rpm. With A/C it drops to 800.

UPDATE 2: My car stumbles and dies if I rev high and let go..this may not be entirely due to the LWFW but since I got it from the shop it would stumble but not die entirely, but the shop apparently was hiding the stumble then off issue by playing with the mixture. I worked with the mixture to get it right using my zeitronix and it started sumbling and then dead. I the mean time, I ended up doing what the shop did, work with the mixture and high idle to keep the engine from dying. But, the mixture is not even close to ideal. Like I said this may be probably a combination of issues but the LWFW is not helping since the engine decreases RPM very rapidly and does not allow the idle to recuperate.

Last edited by IMONBOOST; 02-27-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Old 10-11-2010, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: