Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Used Parts - Buyer Beware

I have enjoyed a perfect record of buying used parts from Pelicanites for many years, until the recession hit. In 2009 I had a rash of rip-offs, all 930 engine parts. The injury spans from simple non-delivery to sending pure junk that has been cannibalized and nothing more than a worthless shell remains. I just got hit again.

What methods do you use to protect yourself? I do credit cards when possible, paypal is useless and cash, well we know how that ends.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i only pay with a credit card if it is over the web. i preffer to find local sellers so i can actually look at parts, but that isn't always feasible...so i will only use a card if not local. if they don't take one i move on.
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 02-07-2010, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Awww, man. I'm sorry to hear that.

I suppose you can't 'name names'?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Naming names is such a touchy subject. On one hand these guys need to be ratted out and on another it is not a professional thing to do. What I am looking for are more creative ways to protect yourself in the first place. If buying from a basement dismantler then paying with credit cards is not an option. It is not always easy to distinguish the shady dismantlers from the regular enthusiast who just have a lot of accumulated stuff they want to get rid of.
I recall some talk about a "go to" list of good guys to buy from. Whatever happened to that idea? Is it viable?
Old 02-07-2010, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I do most of my purchasing from a local guy that has any where from 3-10 911's and 930's sitting around that he is taking apart. Not sure of what sort of "go to" list that is out there but that might be a good idea.

Brian let me know what you are looking for and I can check with my guy.
Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe
Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If I got burned by someone and I thought it was done so" on purpose " , I wouldn't think twice to name them everywhere I could think of. Just to help others from making the same mistake, if nothing else. IMO.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Naming names is such a touchy subject. On one hand these guys need to be ratted out and on another it is not a professional thing to do. What I am looking for are more creative ways to protect yourself in the first place. If buying from a basement dismantler then paying with credit cards is not an option. It is not always easy to distinguish the shady dismantlers from the regular enthusiast who just have a lot of accumulated stuff they want to get rid of.
I recall some talk about a "go to" list of good guys to buy from. Whatever happened to that idea? Is it viable?
Agree with you Brian. If this is a huge problem, it should be possible to give feedback to sellers/buyers kind of similar to whats exist on ebay.
To many negative feedback, and they would not be allowed to advertise anymore.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I exhaust ALL efforts at an amicable resolution. THEN I will post their name and the situation. Fortunately I have only had to do this once. Sure it's a touchy subject, but when you're absolutely right you owe it to your fellow honest Pelicans. Us your best judgement. If it's a small issue or misunderstanding it's best to just let bygones by bygones...
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 02-07-2010, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I do all my paypal purchases using my credit card.
I also leave my paypal bank account empty. Paypal takes what ever money you have in your bank account before they use a credit card.
I have a bank account for Paypal transactions.
I use a specific credit card just for my paypal account.
I only buy from verified Paypal users.

I bought a $900 cassette deck on ebay through paypal using my crediti card. It was a ripe off. Paypal said they would wait 10 days then pursue it. If they couldn't get the guy to return my money I was out of luck.
I called up the credit card company who said it was paypal's problem to get my money back. I said I used my credit card and it was the credit card companies problem. They removed the charge.
When I've received crappy parts through private sellers, I've contacted the credit card company and said the merchandise was not as described and returned it.
If they are a verified Paypal buyer you do have recourse if you use a credit card.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Or how about having a trader rating on this site like all of the rice rocket sites? Every honda, mitsu, subi, and toyota site has a trader rating under everyone's name and I think that is one thing enabling rip-offs in the porsche community- no body gets to see the feed back. I vote for a trader rating.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-07-2010, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I got burned early on for about $200 from some guy in NY. Paid with a check. Since then, I've limited myself to no more than $100-200 to protect myself. Although I've sold wheels for up to $2k, I just can't bear to part with my cash sight unseen for more.

As mentioned, if it can't be worked out amicable, then I feel it's OK to out the seller to let all know htey are a cheat.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sprbxr
I say name names. Otherwise the scams will continue and other honest people will get scammed.

From personal experience, Postal Money orders are useless too. I got burned for 4 figures using Postal Money orders. USPS did absolutely NOTHING. Eventually the guy that ripped me and 3 other Rennlisters got busted stealing a Ferrari F355 Challenge car. I am still out the money I sent him in the form of Postal Money orders. Postal Inspector said the theft wasn;t large enough to investigate. Crock of *****. IMO. Yes I am still bitter.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I too say name names, it protects other members of this great community and weeds out the flakes.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Ive read that "v-bulletin" type forums can have a trader rating under each name which shows up next to every post. It would be kind of like Ebay in a sense but only more in your face. If someone has a good trader reputation on here, then they wouldnt be inclined rip someone off. Then if someone has a bad rating, then people will simply avoid them. I think this is the most sure fire way to get fair trading on this forum.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
As mentioned, if it can't be worked out amicable, then I feel it's OK to out the seller to let all know htey are a cheat.
I also agree with this statment- but the only foreseeable problem for me is the jerk who is mildly displeased getting up on here and bashing a known good supplier. In the end, those who know the person is reputable will still go to that person, but there will be a few noobs that will steer away due to the one person talking trash about a mild descrepency, ultimately losing that person business
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I would much rather deal with a credit card company directly than paypal.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Around 1.5 years ago I bought a set of rebuilt 1976 930 cylinder heads from a guy across country for $500 plus shippping. He had cellphone pictures of the heads and a bunch of other parts too.

I talked to the guy. He sounded like he lost interest in his project and needed money and I decided to take the risk and sent him a USPS money order which he cashed at a check cashing place. Then no parts and no returned emails, answered calls, or returned calls.

I kept trying to reach him for 3 weeks, and I did internet searches on his address and phone number with no results and then decided to post about it on the for sale forum. I found he was also selling things on Craigslist.

In less than a day a stand up peilican poster in the guys home town read my post. He thought he had met the guy from my description and he knew who I was talking about.

The short version is the pelican poster tracked the guy down through reverse lookup searches, and internet searches. He got my parts from the guy and I paid him to ship them to me.

So, I feel you should go public with the identities and location of the person(s) that screwed you on parts after 3 weeks. That way you may get your parts or satisfaction eventually, and it lets other people know who to stay away from.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I agree with Justin, name names. and post pictures . I feel pretty fortunate in that all my transactions have worked out well. Hell I sent Justin a check for $9500 for a roller sight unseen (thanks again Justin for the tracdog)..
There is a list of "good guys" on a sticky in the for sale used parts section
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hello all,
I think if you simply state the facts, without any personal input or derogatory comment, then it's perfectly ok to name the errant source. We are all in this together, a simple factual heads up to all other 930 owners, is nothing more than a polite notification of warning. After all, it's still up to each individual to decide if they still wish to do business with any particular establishment/person.
My .02 worth.
Mark
Old 02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Naming names is fine, as is posting your experience(s) for all to read. However, BOTH sides of the story will need to be posted. If the other party wishes to not cooperate/post their side, then I think we all know what that means.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: