Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Turbo Heat Shield??

After a drive today I happened to put my hand on the rear bumper and dang was it HOT. I notice that the bumper and rear quarter panel above the turbo is super hot after a drive. so hot it's hard to even touch. I recently brought my car in for a service, wondering if there is supposed to be a heat shield around the turbo to shield heat from the body of the car? I never noticed a heat shield, so wondering if it was inside the rear bumper? I never noticed my car being so hot to touch, yet I can't recall ever noticing it being cool either ..never touched the bumper much after a drive.

Curious if the shop I brought my car to removed my heat shield? Or if our 930's didn't come with them? -Seems like the extreme heat would ruin the paint on the body and bumper after time? ....Yet my paint is 33 years old and still in excellent shape, ...so if it never had a heat shield i guess it's not a big deal.

I also ask, because I notice that most new cars have heat shields around their turbos (my MINI Cooper does).
Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My stock '87 930 has a flat aluminum heat shield attached to the lower valance on the bottom and the engine tin on the top. It blocks some of the heat transfer from the muffler to the bumper and valance. It is a debis collector as well if you ever have to remove it! I see you have a '77 930 not sure if this part was a stock item on that model year.
Peugeot moped
Old 02-08-2010, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
yeah, i've done a bit more research and am thinking my '77 didn't come w/ a shield. Not a big deal, yet that bumper gets super hot. I guess if after 30+ years and no damage has been caused to the paint from the extreme heat then it's not a big deal!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

When I changed my muffler to Rarelyl8's & didn't reinstall the rear valance, the heat problem was no more. It was getting so hot, it discolored the paint. I think that with the new muffler, air is allowed around it to cool, the lack of the rear valance helps. Was thinking of how I could vent the rear valance tastefully.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage

I got this idea from one our forum members.
RarlyL8 headers and muffler
Lindseys 9s 11s
Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

eR1c, I have an 89 that has mostly the same issue. The heat on mine is contained to the bumper on the passenger side of the car, just above the muffler. In city driving it gets so hot you wouldnt want to touch it. In faster driving it vents enough to keep it cooler. I thought about maybe wrapping the pipe with heat tape to see if that worked but havent done anything yet.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Mark, I love the slots in the bumper.... kinda 80's retro, or a stock market trend
Old 02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
After a drive today I happened to put my hand on the rear bumper and dang was it HOT. I notice that the bumper and rear quarter panel above the turbo is super hot after a drive. so hot it's hard to even touch. I recently brought my car in for a service, wondering if there is supposed to be a heat shield around the turbo to shield heat from the body of the car? I never noticed a heat shield, so wondering if it was inside the rear bumper? I never noticed my car being so hot to touch, yet I can't recall ever noticing it being cool either ..never touched the bumper much after a drive.

Curious if the shop I brought my car to removed my heat shield? Or if our 930's didn't come with them? -Seems like the extreme heat would ruin the paint on the body and bumper after time? ....Yet my paint is 33 years old and still in excellent shape, ...so if it never had a heat shield i guess it's not a big deal.

I also ask, because I notice that most new cars have heat shields around their turbos (my MINI Cooper does).
I can tell you there is a Heat Shield! it's a thin metal shield but not alu for pre '80 or more
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: