Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Found a use for old turbos

Stumbled upon this earlier... Appears to be a big turbo converted to a jet engine. I'm no rocket scientist, but that is sweet!

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Make one and you might be a turbine scientist though
Old 02-10-2010, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I saw this earlier... what the fcuk is actually going on here?

Is Gas is being channeled through the 'hot side' and ignited and vented though the long nozzle? Air is being sucked into the cold side and goes into the tank, when then is pressurized and vented throught the hot side? What drives the process?
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

seen these around for a couple years

Just use the compressor section to feed a combustion chamber which in turn feeds the turbine section.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Pretty cool. I could strap one of those to my back when i go sledding
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 02-11-2010, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You mean that is not a test of Brian's new muffler?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Hi

I stumbled across these simple jet engines because I thought it would be possible -someone beat me to it.
A turbo charger is basicallly a jet engine without a combustion chamber.

The lower silvery part functions as combustion chamber (gas generator) and the hot side of the turbo is what would be the power turbine section on a jet engine. The compressor side of the turbo does exactly that. It compresses the air that is used for burning fuel and probably providing cooling on the perimeter of the gas generator. The injector on the lower part acts as a fuel nozzle. The whole thing can be started with a vacum cleaner or a leaf blower and an igniter in the gas generator.

Sorry if the explanation is somewhat messy. My tech english is a bit rusty.

almost forgot: The aft section may house an afterburner and not just the jet exhaust.

It is all very simple, which is why I find it so cool.

Jesper
Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
So how many more pounds of thrust would you get by putting in an afterburner system?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have no idea of how much thrust you would gain. Even though I have seen (internet) karts and the likes driven by these, I think it's more about fun than thrust.
These turbojet engines are very simple compared to real jet engines -thus not very efficient.

Jesper
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
I have no idea of how much thrust you would gain. Even though I have seen (internet) karts and the likes driven by these, I think it's more about fun than thrust.
These turbojet engines are very simple compared to real jet engines -thus not very efficient.

Jesper
The thrust generated is proportional to the basic mass flow of the compressor. A compressor capable of 35 #/min makes 35# thrust. Reheat like this is very inefficient. Additional thrust is a factor of temperature rise but more so the mass of the additional fuel burned. Much better to make thrust by moving air than adding fuel. Water/methanol in the inlet is a better way to go for augmentation.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Wow, what a neat anti-lag system!

How dose that work again? Pressurized air flow, excess fuel, and late timing?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
Wow, what a neat anti-lag system!

How dose that work again? Pressurized air flow, excess fuel, and late timing?

Already done, called a hyperbar system, a separate combuster system is added to exhaust system to produce energy to drive the turbine when the engine exhaust flow is low or insufficient to bring a large turbo up to speed.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: