Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Arrow How often do you change your brake fluid?

I heard you are supposed to purge it every year on a Porsche. I was also told to stay away from the silicone based fluid (doesn't mix with Dot3/4).

So Dot 4 every year, does that sound right? I'm a year overdue!

What I wonder is, why every year on a Porsche, yet a Chevy, Toyota or Honda goes about 10 years before you even think about something like that?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
beancounter

My 2006 Mini Cooper S calls for new brake fluid every 2 years in the maintenance guide.

People may go for 10 years without thinking about it, but that doesn't mean they are following the recommended maintenance schedule.

The fluid in my car has been changed recently (in terms of mileage), but I changed it last summer anyway. I put on stainless lines, so the system needed bleeding anyway. Plus, it was just before last summer's Turbopalooza and the car was going to be on track. I had no brake fade issues and it was almost 100 degrees out on the trackday.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

All manufacturers recommend 1 to 2 years max. as the fluid absorbs water from the air. Since these are high performance cars when you need your brakes you may really need them so once a year is probably a better idea for most. And BTW there is a vent line to the reservoir vs. the cap on most cars, which I have always thought was worse for moisture getting in?

Correct on the fluid.
69 Vette Race Car since 1971
07 Z06 DD
Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'd say flushing the brake fluid is probably thee most overlooked maintenance item. I do all my cars every 2 years.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know of anyone who does this on schedule. I've also never seen a car/truck come back from a dealer or brake shop after having its fluid replaced and there be any sign of the fluid actually being replaced.

I probably do it every 2 to 3 years unless I'm going to the track and then I change it if it's been more than 6 months.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I usually do it at the track after the first session when I make it 2 laps and have serious brake fade and finally come to realize that I really should've changed the fluid as part of track prep. cant teach an old dog new tricks, and besides, what fun is flushing out brake fluid if its not sweltering hot outside, your cars not sweltering hot from just coming off the track, and you don't leave any skin on the calipers and discs???

or I'm an idiot.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm bad....I mean REALLY bad...at remembering to do this at any frequency. And guess what, all my brakes continue to brake...so give me a break.

That said, my 930 is due for a flush. My 3000GT, however, was waaaaayyyyyyy past due to the point where last month I noticed the pedal going to the floor with barely enough hydraulic pressure to disengage things. Turns out I couldn't even see any fluid in the reservoir (oh oh, leaking out somewhere?). Never found a leak or any sign of one, and simply flushed the thing out with new stuff and all is well. I've had the car for 14 years and....ummm...gulp....never flushed or changed the fluid. I think it evaporated away over time.

Shame on me, I'm hanging my head here!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post
I've also never seen a car/truck come back from a dealer or brake shop after having its fluid replaced and there be any sign of the fluid actually being replaced.
Thats because 99.9% of the dealers/shops out there just charge you for it, but they dont perform the service. I used to work at a Benz dealer a while back and needless to say I quit after a very short while. It wasnt about repairing cars, it was about ripping people off.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

For the 930, it's bled before every track event while I check the rotors and pads. Cheap insurance for good brakes.

For my truck? That's a different story. I just bled them for the first time in 9 years. It was nasty.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
I was thinking it's good insurance against developing corrosion on the aluminum wheel cylinder pistons and such

I think I'll make that the first thing I do this spring when I get the car back out. I noticed my Acura brakes getting slightly spongy this past year .... I've never changed it and it's been 7 years now!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'd say every two years depending on the track/hard driving use. But, I really look at the fluid color change puting a flash light behind the resevoir... and depending on ther turbidity go from there - old fashion way!
Old 02-13-2010, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: