Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
my progress..........nightmare

ok, so I unbolted EVERYTHING. Sourced a set of unused cheap(still in box) GSF headers/heater boxes to replace my stock setup with a cracked /badly welded J-pipe. Sorry Brian but the GSFs were cheap and local and Im impatient. Replaced inner and outer wheel bearing and spacer. Installed the DWUR and module and in process of wiring the Innovative LM-16 gauge. Next is replacing a couple of 25 year old oil hoses that were found to be hard as a rock and one that went to the oil tank with a small leak.
THEN( I Hope), I can install the GSFs, the K27HFS, the B&B half bay IC and the Fab speed filter instead of the huge stock air box, and the RarlyL8 muffler with O2 sensor for the LM gauge. Front strut brace installed. New plugs, magnecor wires, rotor, dizzy cap, oil/ filter and valve adjustment-DONE
Hopefully a couple more weeks.
One of the bolts that holds the bracket for the turbo is broken into what seems the engine case....I will try to remove it
Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage

Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
A lot of stuff going on here

I hope everything turns out OK. I have seen terrible things come from the DWUR... that is why i still have not touched one. I will look forward to seeing the progress and how the car turns out.

Best of luck with the upgrades and maintenance.

Bryan
Old 02-15-2010, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Might I suggest that "while you're in there"........

Just kidding, looks like you've got your hands full! But I can almost guarentee that when you get her all buttoned back up, you'll wish you would have done that "one more little thing" while you were in there.
This is better known as a labor of love, or the slippery slope to financial oblivion. Have fun!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Congrats...your one broken stud away from renewal
Just suck-it-up and just do it man!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Bryan you are the first that I have saw to say they have seen "terriable" things happen due to the DWUR. What might they be? the only one I know of having a problem was one of the new ones that was purchaced by a fellow member in New Orleans that had the shaft on the new style stepper motor crossthreaded during assy. and it did no damage to engine and @ last report they were sending him a complete new unit. I have been running one since they first were made avaliable by Chris @ Turbo Kraft, and I love it.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bryan,

I'd be interested in you elaborating on the terrible things you have seen come from the DWUR.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
I should have clarified...

I have heard not seen... and when I state "terrible" things I mean soooo many people have had issues with this unit from UT that it is just not worth it.

I dont know about most people but I like to drive my car and not just work on it constantly because the DWUR is malfunctioning or having some other problem that no one will call back to help. This is why I have stayed away. This is the link I stay up to speed with and I still would not pull the trigger... it just seems like a hassle still.

Digital WUR

My opinion from not having one... did not mean to cause a stir but was hoping zaidigonzo has better luck that's all.

Bryan.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Bryan, +1 on DWUR...

I like to drive my car, too... And, without the DWUR, I'm back to driving [worry free]!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
thanks Bryan. I already put it in the car so I hope it will work. I'll probably send the stock unit to get modified to a Leask WUR just in case. Ill know more and probably will ask more in the coming weeks.....
Thanks everyone
Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
"how you like me now!"

making progress...... BUT have small oil leak on passenger timing cover or behind the cover. Someone said there is an o-ring that may be leaking. CRAP! now I have to take the exhaust out again. SOUNDED pretty good when I started it..... Also small exhaust leak when cold but goes away in minute after it warms up. Will address....
Digital WUR seems OK but not driven yet cause right axle still out after putting new wheel bearings. K27HFS looks awesome bolted to the rarly muffler and intercooler by B&B. Did put in cheaper GSF header/heat boxes though
Innovative afr gauge is in but wont calibrate....will have to read instructions once AGAIN

white wire from the digital wur says to connect to coil to get rpm signal? I guess? BUT if I do that my tach not working...... If I leave unhooked, the car seems to work fine, starts right up cold and stays on after it warms up and sounds great even when revving hard.....dont know if it will change when driving. Anyone know what to do about white wire. Or what Im doing wrong?

Thank you all. Would be lost without this forum and would have never gotten my long awaited 930 TURBO@!!!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
also put awesome momo steering wheel to match shifter momo ball and had wastegate sand blasted, put new rubber boot and 1 bar spring. Looked like new!!

I think brushed aluminum pedal set will go well....in the fuuuture...
Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
notice upside down B&B tag on IC? kind of worries me that if they overlooked this, they may be overlooking other more serious things...Hope my IC does not blow up!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Just look at it as an ambulance thing....if someone were to back up into you from behind - and if your engine lid was open - they could correctly read the B&B label in their rearview mirror.

Somone at Billyboat was asleep at the switch on that production day. Not to worry, my B&B IC is rock solid, but they weren't puting their tags on when mine was made.

You gotta finish up and drive that thing! I took mine out this afternoon - second run of the year - after spending the entire morning pulling the window and frame out of the drivers door in order to replace a funky acting door latch. Now, the door clicks shut as it should and lines up perfectly. Plus, the car gained another 20hp with the new latch!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 02-27-2010 at 07:57 PM..
Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Great progress! Let us know how she rips!
My guess is that whoever welded on the tag progably couldn't read english.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Ditto on the progress!

May i make one suggestion that you move your jack stands to the torque tube as they dont look to secure on the spring plates, I work on a older gentleman's car and he told me his son died under a 911 on jack stands that slipped as he was messing about with the motor.

cheers ed
Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Nice to see you made progress!

I have GSFs on my car too and they were also leaking in the beginning but kept quiet again after a minute or so when things heated up.

Meanwhile after +2 years I have a leak somewhere inside one or both heaterboxes, that means I cant turn on the heat because I will get exhaust fumes inside the cabin. Unfortunately to find and fix the leak I must open the heaterboxes and thats a P.I.T.A

Will replace those headers soon, just knock on wood and hope yours will last longer
Old 02-28-2010, 01:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Good job Gonzo. If the leak is not the timing chain cover, it might be the o-ring on the cam plate. I'd try the cover first with a sealer. Hopefully it's not the timing chain housing or o-ring.

Gogo, how do you know you have a leak? CO us odorless and colorless.

I would remove the duct work from the heater boxes to make sure no CO is reaching the passenger cabin.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 02-28-2010 at 04:45 AM..
Old 02-28-2010, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
thanks to all.

anyone with a dwur know what I should do with the white wire?

exhaust leak is coming from where header bolts to one of the exhaust ports on passenger side..
Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
i can hear it when i start her up..pssst,pssst,pssst...... then goes away
Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: