Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I/C mount with new style BOV???

Hi any of you have a pic on how to mount the front driver side of the I/C with the new style BOV . for the throtle body part I cut and revelded the stock BOV . for the elbow side I put a reducer going to the elbow and now have no were to mount the IC
Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well, you can always look here to see how I did it....though maybe a bit unconventional. I kept the left hand side coupler that goes between the rubber elbow and the turbo intake pipe, which allows a person to retain the original IC mounting point. Otherwise, if you use something like the rubber elbow from a 964 that has the mounting point built-in for the new BOV, then you'll have to fabricate a mount from the IC down to a point on the engine.
BOV update with short neck IC
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Mark but this whole piece is only held in place by the elbow and tubo pipe ???is this good?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

JB Weld?
Mark, I hope you're not far from home when that comes apart, and it will eventually even with the 24 hour to harden stuff.

Devcon marine epoxy is better for something like that, but it should be welded for it to last reliably.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

No what I was saying is the whole black piece is not suported by anything .it is not bolted down so the IC will not be bolted in the back .
Thanks
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes, that's all that holds it. It's actually more rigid than you would think once mounted to the IC, and with the other two IC mounting points (upper right hand corner by the throttle body and the front mount by the coil) everything is pretty secure.

If you're concerned about mounts, you can have someone weld some aluminum flat bar to the IC and secure the other end to one of the mounting points of the recirulation assembly manifold.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
JB Weld?
Mark, I hope you're not far from home when that comes apart, and it will eventually even with the 24 hour to harden stuff.

Devcon marine epoxy is better for something like that, but it should be welded for it to last reliably.
I've been waiting for someone to give me crap about that! What took you so long?

I admit it's a bit of a stretch, and I'll be watching it closely. Supposedly it's good to 400-500 degrees, and since there will be no shear stresses involved it may last indefinitely. I guess we'll see. I just got tired of puting the project on hold while trying to find someone to do the welding and figured what the hell.....put some trust in modern chemistry. It'll last long enough to tell me if I like the change or not anyway.

Take a look at the screw stud on the coupler in my pictures (where the back left side IC mount is), and note that I repaired a break there with JB (tapped and glued the bolt in, and glued the broken casting back on). It's been there for a couple years and shows no sign of breaking down so far. Still hard as a rock and shiney new.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I know, and you're right. That corner is now not supported by anything but 2 rubber hoses so it will be flexing up and down a little bit with boost pressure rising and falling.

I was commenting on what looks like JB weld epoxy glue holding the blow off manifold together where he cut and modified it in 2 places to use the 25mm blow off valve.

Those parts should be tig welded for it to stay together over time but maybe he's just trying it out temporarily with glue to see if he notices a little less turbo lag between shifts with this setup before welding it.

A tiny spot with 14 psi air pressure pushing on it isn't much but over a larger surface area the force increases big time.
As an example of that try compressing a wastegate spring by hand some time...

Now add engine vibration, heat cycles which will slowly shrink the hardened epoxy, flexing of parts, and traces of oil mist to wick under the egdes of the hardened epoxy and the glue will eventually spit at the seam and there will be a huge vacuum leak.

Bring a AAA card.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I know, and you're right. That corner is now not supported by anything but 2 rubber hoses so it will be flexing up and down a little bit with boost pressure rising and falling.

I was commenting on what looks like JB weld epoxy glue holding the blow off manifold together where he cut and modified it in 2 places to use the 25mm blow off valve.

Those parts should be tig welded for it to stay together over time but maybe he's just trying it out temporarily with glue to see if he notices a little less turbo lag between shifts with this setup before welding it.

A tiny spot with 14 psi air pressure pushing on it isn't much but over a larger surface area the force increases big time.
As an example of that try compressing a wastegate spring by hand some time...

Now add engine vibration, heat cycles which will slowly shrink the hardened epoxy, flexing of parts, and traces of oil mist to wick under the egdes of the hardened epoxy and the glue will eventually spit at the seam and there will be a huge vacuum leak.

Bring a AAA card.
Jim, you now own exclusive rights to say "I told you so".

On securing that mount a bit better....can-do if necessary, I have an alternate plan to mount that coupler to the engine to prevent any possible flexing.

Again, this is a work-in-progress. I'll find what works and what doesn't, improve upon it, patent it, and retire on the millions.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hi Mark, just trying to help...
I drew a green arrow to the bolt hole under your hose clamp on the intake manifold that aftermarket longneck intercoolers use for support with an aluminum arm welded to the end tank of the intercooler.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Mark, just trying to help...
I drew a green arrow to the bolt hole under your hose clamp on the intake manifold that aftermarket longneck intercoolers use for support with an aluminum arm welded to the end tank of the intercooler.
...and I appreciate the help and suggestions, as always. I was thinking of using either that bolt hole, or the other one directly in front of the new BOV location, and fabricating a stiff aluminum bar to mount from there to one of the two studs available on the coupler.

I'm about ready to test drive this thing, but may work on making the coupler a bit more rigid first....or just weld a support on to the IC as suggested (but that goes against my original goal of not having to modify the IC).
Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

found this pic a while back this could work.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Guy's

Kind'a late to the party here but I saw the need for a "REAL" Rube Goldberg mechanic.

There are 2 threaded bosses on the intake manifold, one on the left just aft of the CIS rubber stud mount, and one on the right just left of the WUR (Pic's 1 & 2)

Use threaded rod and sleeve it with 3/8 galvanized pipe to create perches for the back two intercooler corners.

Either weld ears on the cooler or make clamshell brackets that slide over the cooler to cradle it on each side.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Some of the bosses on your manifold look to be in different places than the late eightee's manifold Mark and I have.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Jim,

Ah Ha !!!!!

Now you and Mark are telling me my old junk isn't as good as your newer, more modern, more technologically advanced units. Well if they were so much better they would have left those bosses there so you guys didn't have to work so hard to figure out a way to make this work.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 02-19-2010 at 05:49 PM..
Old 02-19-2010, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Jim,

Ah Ha !!!!!

Now you and Mark are telling me my old junk isn't as good as your newer, more modern, more technologically advanced units. Well if they were so much better they would have left those bosses there so you guys didn't have to work so hard to figure out a way to make this work.

Cole
You know what I say...."phuque the boss" (Oh, wait, I can't say that, I'm the boss!).

I'm in the fabricating mood again - got my hacksaw, welder, and old Fred Flintstone grinding wheel and chop saw all oiled up. Tommorrow I may just whip up a mount to "rigidize" things a bit. And without a doubt it will mount to a technologically advanced boss not previously available in pre-'87 930's. The challenge will be to find an available boss, since my customized BOV and associated plumbing is covering both available mounting points.

Actually guys, I'm not totally convinced that rigidity will be an issue, but it can't hurt to address it. I don't want to be blowing o'rings just in case the IC is doing the funky chicken on full boost.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

lol... no i should have looked before posting that.
They just look different when they're bare vs partly covered in the car, and the epoxy in the hole where the aluminum pipe used to be.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Mark,

Old Guy suggestion. The bov can go anywhere between the intake manifold and the turbo inlet. For a couple bucks worth of hose you can get it out of your way. Look at this one and it works just fine.

Cole
Old 02-19-2010, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Well boys I created another technological marvel today, as promised, and built a mount to rigidify the left IC mount to the aforementioned floating coupler. Jim, I tapped onto the boss that your green arrow pointed to, even though it was beneath all the plumbing. Piece of cake, nothing is going to move nowhere now.

The short section with the two screws was made to be easily removable, to facilitate easy removal of all the turbo feed piping/coupler (can you say changing spark plugs?). Getting to the other end where the bracket mounts to the boss is a real female dog.

Just got to slap the IC back in place, see if this thing will start with all the dicking around I've done, and see where my timing ended up with the elongated distributor notch. Minor tuning and we're back on the road, maybe tomorrow, if I don't get tempted to take the hog out for the first run this year instead.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Mark you are to cool
please please please make me one,i am useless at fabricating
Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: